Sponsored by:

Serpentine Belt

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 01:27 AM
Avenger6
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Serpentine Belt

Does anyone have the system being sold by Clewett Engineering?

I had a belt failure a few months back, and it wasn't really a "quick" or "roadside" fix....even if I WOULD have had the tools and spare belt IN the car instead of in the garage (don't ask!).

I had seen this system before, and now they have one that will drive the A/C. The price isn't TOO terrible, and I like the idea of there being a good, constant belt tension. Seems like it would be better all around than messing with the shims, etc.

Also, with the "correct" belt for the A/C, and the compressor all the way in to the closest position, that belt is very difficult to get on and feels "too tight." Worried about blowing out the compressor bearing.

If anyone has this for a street car, I would appreciate any comments.
Old 03-05-2008, 03:29 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 233 Posts

I think the Clewett kit is superb and continue to ponder a future purchase. I just replaced my alternator, fan bearing and all belts. The only way I could remove the old A/C belt (and install the new one) was to remove the bolts holding the compressor in place. The lateral movement afforded by the reliefs in the mounting bracket was far from sufficient.

Clewett:

Porsche Motorsports RSR pulley:

Andreas
Old 03-05-2008, 04:30 AM
Akerlie
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Group buy ?
Old 03-05-2008, 05:15 AM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I admire the serpentine drive and tensioner; however, with a single drive speed, one presumes that the alternator will be underdrived to achieve design fan speed. that is no issue for those that can accept that lower alternator output at in town speeds ( personally, love my RS hub ).

Secondly, one needs the magic Porsche tool available to lock the crank regards R&R of that lower pulley. While uncertain of how the tensioner mounts, I suspect both jobs require an engine drop.

Think I'll stick with the RS hub for the moment .... which can be installed in an hour ( allowing for the AC compressor)
Old 03-05-2008, 07:13 AM
Marlon
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ditto on the 4-compressor bolt removal to facilitate a/c belt change. I found that the compressor could then be 'tilted' to the left to get the new belt on since in my case 'siding' it did not work. We should check into a Clewett G/b. ($695.00 for the Clewett kit for A/c car) Of course the best GB for a serpentine belt system might be TPC!!!

Originally Posted by AOW162435
I think the Clewett kit is superb and continue to ponder a future purchase. I just replaced my alternator, fan bearing and all belts. The only way I could remove the old A/C belt (and install the new one) was to remove the bolts holding the compressor in place. The lateral movement afforded by the reliefs in the mounting bracket was far from sufficient.

Clewett:

Porsche Motorsports RSR pulley:

Andreas
Old 03-05-2008, 07:20 AM
Avenger6
Rennlist Member

Yeah, I have had to do the same to get A/C belt on. "Glad" to know it isn't just a problem with my car.

If that picture of the Clewett system with a second belt to the A/C is what the setup is, I am less interested. I was hoping for ONE belt only.

But, now that I think about it, that just wouldn't work. The compressor pulley probably can't be easily changed, and th pulleys aren't all in the same "plane," making one big belt pretty impossible.....

I dunno......It IS a cool looking setup and seems to have great advantages. I'll keep thinking about it...
Old 03-05-2008, 07:50 AM
Marlon
Drifting

Clewett also makes a single belt system if you don;t want to power up the compressor.

Originally Posted by Avenger6
Yeah, I have had to do the same to get A/C belt on. "Glad" to know it isn't just a problem with my car.

If that picture of the Clewett system with a second belt to the A/C is what the setup is, I am less interested. I was hoping for ONE belt only.

But, now that I think about it, that just wouldn't work. The compressor pulley probably can't be easily changed, and th pulleys aren't all in the same "plane," making one big belt pretty impossible.....

I dunno......It IS a cool looking setup and seems to have great advantages. I'll keep thinking about it...
Old 03-05-2008, 08:43 AM
Avenger6
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Marlon
Clewett also makes a single belt system if you don;t want to power up the compressor.

Yeah, but I DO want to power the compressor. One of the unmentioned things about driving long distances at high speeds (as I do here in Germany) is the fact that you really "need" to have the windows up. Otherwise, it gets quite annoying and tiring to have a hurricane blowing in your ear for hours at a time. Given the antiquated airflow system in the 911/993 passenger compartment, the A/C is needed, even on "cool" days.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:41 AM
AVoyvoda
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ninemeister sells a "dual belt" solution they call the "twin pulley kit" i.e. two conventional belts off one pulley that's obviously stronger than the basic configuration (9m Part: 9mR11399303). However, understand that the serpentine solution is more efficient in terms of rolling resistance and adds 3-4 hp. The Clewett kit requires some minor machining to the case. So I ended up buying the Clewett kit but not installed yet. They are a pleasure to do business with.
Attached Images  
Old 03-05-2008, 10:21 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

What worries me about the dual belt kit concept is the fact that no two belts are exactly the same length. Perhaps its not much on an issue after all. The surpentine retrofit is appealing to me.
Old 03-05-2008, 04:27 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Group buy on the RSR kit?
Old 03-05-2008, 09:31 PM
Jay993turbo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just an fyi. I put about 15k miles since I installed my serpentine belt kit. No problems at all. I have the dual belt version because I wanted my AC. It is a very good kit. I posted pics on the 993tt board awhile back.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:13 AM
Marlon
Drifting

Any installation peculiarities??? Did you have to drop the engine to change the crank pulley?

mar

Originally Posted by Jay993turbo
Just an fyi. I put about 15k miles since I installed my serpentine belt kit. No problems at all. I have the dual belt version because I wanted my AC. It is a very good kit. I posted pics on the 993tt board awhile back.

Quick Reply: Serpentine Belt