993 Forum 1995-1998

Testing the dual distributor

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 12:42 PM
pmalenfa
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
Ahhh, I think I know the difference between the two! :-) Again, if you want to disconnect one of the two distributor caps for testing, its much easier to pull off the high voltage lead, either at the coil or the distributor cap.

Cheers

Mike
Mike, my post was for appear statement (I think he was confusing coil and the actual lead connector at the cap side). You're right. Sorry if this caused confusion.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:28 PM
appear
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks guys! I am a BIG engine-rookie, so your help is appreciated! Coming from a Boxster I am not used to dealing with engine It is very exiciting stuff though - chewed through a few chapters of the big 993 bible (Adrian Streather) last night and felt I was prepared to take on a rebuild, heads included. Got down to my car this morning and soon realized I still had some learning to do. Instead I gave it a 3 hour wash and hand polish and forgot all about ticking.

I want to try to disconnect each distributor to diagnose problems with either of them, the big coil in the middle of the distributor cap seems to be stuck and hard to acces without digging out the ventilation ducts. Where do I find the coil plugs in my engine bay?

THANKS

Update: Found the coils, pulled each coil seperately and started with no hiccups both times....

Last edited by appear; 04-19-2012 at 04:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Testing the dual distributor