Hydraulic fluid leak at clutch slave cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 02:36 PM
lenticular
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hydraulic fluid leak at clutch slave cylinder

My 993 has developed a very slow hydraulic leak right where the flexible hose screws into the clutch slave cylinder. I took a wrench to the coupling thinking that I could just tighten it up, but it felt like it was plenty tight already. My thought is to replace the flexible hose, although that means leaving the car on jack stands until next weekend. The rubber on the hose seems undamaged, with the leak coming from the metal coupling.

I can't figure out why the hose would leak in the first place, though, especially from the metal coupling. Has anyone seen this problem before?

Oh, one other odd thing. My wife was driving the car a month or so ago and had the clutch pedal go to the floor. Unfortunately, it was on the tow truck headed to my house before I could look at it. Once unloaded, I found that I could pull the clutch pedal up by hand, and it has worked fine since then. I replaced the slave cylinder two years ago.

Thanks,
John
Old 03-02-2008, 03:16 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

I have seen it on other hoses but not on the 993. The hose can fail and if its clear that the leak is from the crimped end then its a pretty cheap replacement. For example, when you replaced the slave did the hose tighten up and bolt in with little strain on the line (i.e no half twist or anything). That or if the engine is dropped and the line is stressed could develop into a failure. A hint that the line is leaking is that you the pedal staying at the floor. That typically happens when there are air pockets in the line (or at least that is what I have experienced).

cheers,

Mike
Old 03-02-2008, 05:04 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 233 Posts

John,
When i replaced my slave & hose a few years back, I found that it was easier to get the slave into position with the hose already attached. That said, I think it makes sense to attach the new hose at the slave before the other end. You can also remove a few line clamps down river to get more room to work.

Andreas
Old 03-02-2008, 05:24 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

If the leak is from the junction hose -to- slave, removing the hose and inspecting the seat might show debris that was trapped between the sealing surfaces. Sometimes just cleaning the seating surfaces will solve the leak. If there is a bur on these seating surfaces, scotchbrite can be used to tidy them up. The female seating surface in the slave would be tough to get to, however.

Quick Reply: Hydraulic fluid leak at clutch slave cylinder