Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: Telephone GPS

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 08:49 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

It does work great, & the map are very current, better then most other services.

The downside is the monthly charge, & you can also eat up your airtime. I use mine when I travel & just pay for that month.
Old 03-04-2008, 03:23 AM
User 121721
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wasn't aware that a GPS receiver could be built into such a small device. It makes me wonder why the stand-alone devices aren't smaller.

I can't see spending two grand on a GPS built into a new car, now that these devices are so cheap and good. Hopefully that means that GPS options on new cars will come down substantially in price!!!

Mark
Old 03-04-2008, 01:33 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Mark Scheurer
I wasn't aware that a GPS receiver could be built into such a small device. It makes me wonder why the stand-alone devices aren't smaller.

I can't see spending two grand on a GPS built into a new car, now that these devices are so cheap and good. Hopefully that means that GPS options on new cars will come down substantially in price!!!

Mark
Well, there small, that is part of the downfall. There are no stored maps, you download as needed, & you use airtime. They need a better signal strength then the car units & do loose signal easier then the bigger units. When you are in the car, it's hard to read the small screen, & can be harder to hear the turn directions. If you go off course, they are SLOW to react & recalculate.

In time, they will get cheaper, just wait till the cheap domestic cars start having GPS.
Old 03-04-2008, 04:24 PM
Black993
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stealth 993
Well, there small, that is part of the downfall. There are no stored maps, you download as needed, & you use airtime. They need a better signal strength then the car units & do loose signal easier then the bigger units. When you are in the car, it's hard to read the small screen, & can be harder to hear the turn directions. If you go off course, they are SLOW to react & recalculate.

In time, they will get cheaper, just wait till the cheap domestic cars start having GPS.
There are actually quite a few that have the ability to store maps to a microSD card. Garmin, TomTom, NokiaMaps, etc will all offer that ability. Most of the applications supplied by your phone carrier will be on-the-fly download though. Also, recalculation depends on your connection. If you are 3G or EVDO it should take almost no-time to re-route. I use both Garmin and Telenav (I work for ATT so telenav is free) and I actually prefer the on-the-fly type.
Old 03-04-2008, 05:10 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Black993
There are actually quite a few that have the ability to store maps to a microSD card. Garmin, TomTom, NokiaMaps, etc will all offer that ability. Most of the applications supplied by your phone carrier will be on-the-fly download though. Also, recalculation depends on your connection. If you are 3G or EVDO it should take almost no-time to re-route. I use both Garmin and Telenav (I work for ATT so telenav is free) and I actually prefer the on-the-fly type.
I was talking about the cel phone ones, not the dedicated GPS's.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:06 PM
993-CT
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's true for cell phones too, my current cell phone has a 4Gb MicroSD card, plenty of room for pre-loaded US maps (courtesy of NokiaMaps). Don't need any wireless data download if I choose so.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:14 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 993-CT
It's true for cell phones too, my current cell phone has a 4Gb MicroSD card, plenty of room for pre-loaded US maps (courtesy of NokiaMaps). Don't need any wireless data download if I choose so.

WOW, that's cool! On my Razor, that is not the case, & Version's network is slow.

95% of the time, I use the car Nav, the phone is really only useful to me when I'm traveling.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:42 PM
Black993
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As was I

Quick Reply: OT: Telephone GPS