Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disaster Sale of my 993 - need some help please !

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 11:51 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Ward
Ty,

I see that you are in Virginia, so it's likely that Virginia law would apply. ..........
Well said Jeff... and as others have said, hang tough. I have no doubt this will work out in your favor. Good luck.
Old 02-25-2008, 12:03 AM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 31 Posts

That's just a big pile of BS...

Like everyone has said, he bought the car, it's his now.

Besides, if the car is as pristine as you describe and in show room condition, what the hell is the point? Who cares if some mechanic thinks there's new paint somewhere?
Old 02-25-2008, 07:59 AM
lthatch
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ty, it's not your job to make everyone happy all the time. Look, you did your best to fairly represent the car and accommodated the buyer as much as could reasonably be expected on the sale. You have no liability relative to this transaction. Moreover, you have fulfilled your higher ethical obligation. I am afraid that, as regards your buyers' behavior, this is just the way some people do business. My advice is to tell him that you are done communicating with him and let it go.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:56 AM
Ty Smith
Instructor

Thanks again everyone....
Old 02-25-2008, 09:02 AM
jimbo3
Rennlist Member

Received 693 Likes on 415 Posts

Originally Posted by lthatch
Ty, it's not your job to make everyone happy all the time. Look, you did your best to fairly represent the car and accommodated the buyer as much as could reasonably be expected on the sale. You have no liability relative to this transaction. Moreover, you have fulfilled your higher ethical obligation. I am afraid that, as regards your buyers' behavior, this is just the way some people do business. My advice is to tell him that you are done communicating with him and let it go.
...and maybe refer him to this thread.
Old 02-25-2008, 09:25 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
...............But low mileage and "showroom condition" don't explicitly mean "as delivered from the factory". ...............
Exactly. Some might be surprised at the number of new cars that are damaged in shipping, then are painted to repair scratches, etc. I just experienced a new 997, brand new and on the Dealer's floor in "showroom condition", with a repainted hood.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:19 AM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbo3
And we have a winnah!!!!
Old 02-25-2008, 11:10 AM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbo3
And post his email address and we could all get him our opinions directly....Hahhh.
Old 02-25-2008, 12:13 PM
autosea
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

I cant believe how much time car people spend dwelling on the negitive in general. I know that you bought the best car that you could find, took the best care of it that you could and when time to move on represented it as best as you could. So what if it has had a fender replaced or not. Thats why they put them on with bolts. I am sure that the car is still every bit as nice with the new fender or what ever.
Dont waste your time with this panty waste.
Old 02-25-2008, 01:50 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,011 Likes on 1,778 Posts

In the past, my car addiction (see sig) has resulted in me owning at least one or two new (to me) cars per year. Over the years, you have no idea the kind of moronic comments I've heard from mechanics doing PPI, both on my behalf as the buyer and on the buyer's behalf when I've been the seller. I bet the mechanic looked in the bonnet, saw the typical Porsche unfinished spray that some of our cars have and assumed the car has been in an accident. You may want to get clarification on how and why it is that his mechanic concluded that the car had body work and paint work and suggest to the buyer that he gets a second opinion from a Porsche indie in his area that might better know what he's talking about (that is, if you truly believe that your car was never resprayed or damaged).

On another note...very sad that at the slightest sign of a potential dispute, so many jump with suggestions of taking a legal position. I'm not saying it's wrong or unnecessary...just sad.
Old 02-25-2008, 02:20 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Louis J.
You may want to get clarification on how and why it is that his mechanic concluded that the car had body work and paint work and suggest to the buyer that he gets a second opinion from a Porsche indie in his area that might better know what he's talking about (that is, if you truly believe that your car was never resprayed or damaged).
X2, this is smart advice. I know a lot of mechanics, and most of them are great guys; but they are by no means infallible. If the guy who bought your car really wants to make an issue out of this, the least he should do is get a credible second opinion.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:28 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

If the car is as nice as you say it is, you would have no problem finding a new home for it. I would offer to accept the car back, shipped to your door at his expense, less whatever it will cost you to re-register and re-title it, including any sales tax you might owe on it, and the cost for a local attorney to draw up a contract to rescind the sale, and contingent upon the car being in the same condition it was when it left your possession.

This will cost him at least a couple thousand bucks, not to mention that he will lose the sales tax that he paid for it, and might make him think twice about his buyers remorse.

If the sale can be rescinded without tax issues on your end, have *him* do all that research, phone calls, etc.

He certainly can't expect you to pay for him making a mistake and not looking at the car in person.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:25 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

geez... what is it with people lately...

is it going to become impossible to do private party sales because of buyer's remorse and differences of opinion?

mind you this was only over a $13k purchase and sale but along the same lines......

I had an SRT4 for a track car last summer... the original owner and seller told me how pristine the car was and how she took such good care of it, blah blah blah.. I flew out to buy it, bought it.. and later found all sorts of problems which had to get fixed (bent intercooler, cracked bumper, siezed brake calipers, scatches and dents in the body never disclosed, etc.) but I didn't see the flaws in person (it was raining heavily the morning I got the car and it was filthy so I didn't do my own due dilligence)... I never once asked or expected any money back from the seller.. but it taught me how different people's perspectives are on 'pristine' and 'flawless' and 'clean as can be' ...and there in lies the rub.. what one person considers clean, another doesn't.. all a matter of perspective and perception..

I ended up selling that SRT4 cleaner than when I picked it up.. repaired and repainted bumper covers, new factory intercooler, new brake calipers at all 4 corners, etc. (basicly fixed all the flaws I found)... AND the buyer knew it was tracked... ..but the new 'buyer' found another flaw and bitched to me about it (one I didn't even know about it) but I had an 'as-is' bill of sale and it was an in person CASH deal (no cashier's check) so that buyer had little to stand on after the sale (he test drove it twice, inspected it in person 3 times before purchase)

..bottom line is I sleep fine at night.. and that's what matters most IMHO.. and I'm betting you sleep just fine kwowing you did nothing wrong... don't let yourself get too stressed out over this..

I agree with what others have said.. keep records, etc.. maybe you do need to get a lawyer involved to get him off your back... maybe chalk it up to experience if you do?

I guess if I ever sell a car again I'll have to insist they sign a clear bill of sale that says, as-is, where is no warranty express or implied and never let the title serve as bill of sale again....

learning all sorts of new things today..

Last edited by ceboyd; 02-25-2008 at 08:43 PM.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:36 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Louis J.
You may want to get clarification on how and why it is that his mechanic concluded that the car had body work and paint work and suggest to the buyer that he gets a second opinion from a Porsche indie in his area that might better know what he's talking about (that is, if you truly believe that your car was never resprayed or damaged).
An excellent point ... I had a really beautiful 87 930, which I sold to a fellow Rennlister years ago ... the dumba-- service manager at the Porsche dealer told him the entire car was repainted; when I went down there he showed me under the light that there was orange peel all over every panel. Then I showed him that there was orange peel all over every panel of every Porsche he had in for service, and he apologized.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:56 PM
polaris 993 sport
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts

i can concur-I had a mechanic years ago glance at my brake discs and concluded they were all cracked-
he was wrong-at that time i was traveling an average of 6 months a year-and i had just taken the car off its jacks (it sat for 3 half months) and the pads had left outside black marks on the disks-that soon disappeared when driven-but my god he almost had me convinced they were cracked-they lasted up till three months ago(the comment was in 2000)-let him go and move on-if the car is not bent-what is the problem-if it was a garage queen-he should be so lucky

Quick Reply: Disaster Sale of my 993 - need some help please !