Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disaster Sale of my 993 - need some help please !

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 02:17 PM
Ty Smith
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disaster Sale of my 993 - need some help please !

Guys really need your help here...

Here are the facts:

Almost 3 years ago I bought a very low miles 1995 993 from one of the most respected Porsche dealers ( name to remain anonymous ). Carfax indicated no irregularities or incidences plus the dealer and I inspected the car together. I was satisfied that the car was 100% legit. Since the purchase I had routine service done to the car also with no mention of any problems.

After owning the car for almost 3 years I put only about 4000 miles on it. It is a garage queen. Last week I sold it through cars.com Despite suggesting a pre-purchase inspection and offering for him to see the car in person , a buyer in another state bought it based on my description and 3 internet photos. He made me an offer, I accepted. The car was shipped, he accepted it, title transferred He retitled it in his name the next day. A few days later he took it to his mechanic who said it had indications of some paint work and some new parts ( maybe a fender ). Despite having shipped the car, transferred title etc, he now wants his money back or at least a cash settlement.

My limited experience with private purchase used car sales tells me this was his risk in buying the car. I did not in any way misrepresnet the car ( at least knowingly ) and he believes that. I believe the prepurchase inspection was the buyers responsibility and the car was sold "as is". He is now started to send threating e-mails in an apparent attempt to "bully"

Need some advise ...

Old 02-24-2008, 02:19 PM
Dick Beers
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

He bought it, it's his. If he didn't do due diligence on the car and your bill of sale says the car is sold as is, where is then it's his. IMHO it's a valid sale and you don't owe him anything. As with all used car purchase buyer beware.
Old 02-24-2008, 02:23 PM
fb47243
Too Old To Remember My First Time
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well if the guy hadn't gone and tried to "bully" you I would say try to work with him. But if the guy is being an asswipe over it then just ignore him. Keep a record of the emails etc. as well. Especially since he acknowledged that you didn't misrepresent the car.
Old 02-24-2008, 02:24 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

You are right that the PPI was his responsibility. You also say that you suggested he have a PPI done before the purchase. Any paint work or new parts that he is now concerned with would have been revealed during the PPI. Since the transaction has been completed, and you did not knowingly misrepresent the car, you are off the hook. He may try and bully you, but stand firm. Just keep telling him that you didn't know of any issues and this is why you recommended he get a PPI before he purchased. He lives far away and the worst case scenario is he takes you to small claims court, which would be a major pain for him, seeing he lives in another state. Also, from what you state, it appears he would lose in court as well.
Old 02-24-2008, 02:27 PM
samsnead
Pro

Was it represented as original paint?
Old 02-24-2008, 02:29 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Dick Beers
He bought it, it's his. If he didn't do due diligence on the car and your bill of sale says the car is sold as is, where is then it's his. IMHO it's a valid sale and you don't owe him anything. As with all used car purchase buyer beware.
+1
Old 02-24-2008, 02:42 PM
lucycan
Rennlist Member

Received 480 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by Dick Beers
+2
Old 02-24-2008, 02:44 PM
Ty Smith
Instructor

Thanks much guys....

A couple of other points and answers..

I described it exactly for what I thought of it and knew about it. "Showroom condition" Just as I bought it and maintained it as.

As far as I know his mechanic is wrong or maybe over-exagerated.

He told me verbally that he knows I didn't intentionally misrepresent. He wants me to go back to the dealer I bought it from.

Interested in hearing everyones advise. I thinking I'm going to have to hire an attorney to protect myself.
Old 02-24-2008, 02:50 PM
samsnead
Pro

You probably don't need to secure counsel, it wouldnt make financial sense for the buyer to take it that far. As long as you did not make specific claims he does not have much ground to stand on. Showroom condition does not guarantee original paint etc. A totalled car can be put back into showroom condition.
Old 02-24-2008, 02:55 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Ty Smith
He wants me to go back to the dealer I bought it from.
To put forth effort to satisfy the new owner, you can offer to go back to the dealer you bought it from and offer this new owner all of the proceeds the dealer [you bought it from] extends to you.
Old 02-24-2008, 02:55 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 02-24-2008, 03:00 PM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by chris walrod
To put forth effort to satisfy the new owner, you can offer to go back to the dealer you bought it from and offer this new owner all of the proceeds the dealer [you bought it from] extends to you.
No offense but that sounds like an excessive amount of work on his part for a car he has already sold. It's a bit insulting that the buyer didn't take his time to get a proper PPI and now wants the previous owner to now waste his time to cover his own laziness.

The fact is that the 993, E30 M3s, Supras, and many other 10+ year-old sports cars come with all kinds of sob stories and problems and any reasonably intelligent buyer should know better than to dive in head-first without some sort of assurance.
Old 02-24-2008, 03:07 PM
Ty Smith
Instructor

I agree that I wouldn't need to but I would do that for him before he started the threats and bullying... I'm never looking to make enemies and I'm more than fair.

Thanks for your help... Hard to ignore threats though.
Old 02-24-2008, 03:10 PM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ty Smith
I agree that I wouldn't need to but I would do that for him before he started the threats and bullying... I'm never looking to make enemies and I'm more than fair.

Thanks for your help... Hard to ignore threats though.
Agreed. I think we really are a community (Porsche owners in general, not just PCA or Rennlist) and we should go out of our way to help each other out but once someone threatens you before you even get a chance to help, they can go shove it somewhere.
Old 02-24-2008, 03:12 PM
Ty Smith
Instructor

Agree. I actually recommended visiting recommended dealer sites and Rennlist to make sure he was satsified with the final price and conditions. He did nothing and now this...

Appreciate it very much guys...

Quick Reply: Disaster Sale of my 993 - need some help please !