Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Disaster Sale of my 993 - need some help please !

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 05:36 PM
jaholmes
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds like buyers remorse to me. As-is,is, well, as-is.

Call Victory motors for advice... I'm sure they are pretty good at saying TS and FU.
Old 02-24-2008, 05:38 PM
richardew
R.I.P
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Geez, what is the world coming to. Making enemies sucks, even if they aren't close by. The car is 10+ years old and has had several owners. I don't believe that you are responsible for what you didn't know, and something that may have been misrepresented to you by the dealer in the first place. If the car had paint and body work done, the dealership surely would have known. It's not that complicated. I used to get my car serviced at the dealer outside of Richmond. I'm the only owner of my car, so I know its' history. We went over the car with a paint gauge on day just for fun. It's not hard to find a body panel that has been painted. It's hard to believe that a dealer that buys and sells Porsches didn't do the same with a car that passed through their hands.
Old 02-24-2008, 05:40 PM
richardew
R.I.P
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Call Victory motors for advice... I'm sure they are pretty good at saying TS and FU.
Gee, they have a 100% positive rating on ebay.
Old 02-24-2008, 05:43 PM
Ty Smith
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All great advice.. And I appreciate it...

I definitely did not misrepresent this car. I paid a premium from a top dealer less than 3 years ago. And, when he called me with his discovery I was floored. I don't even know if it is true, but I can sense his displeasure. I even paid for the delivery myself because I didn't want to see the car damaged on I-95.

I appreciate all your comments;
Old 02-24-2008, 05:53 PM
Southampton76
Racer

What did the bill of sale say? I always put "Sold as seen, driven, and tested" I bought my 964 sign unseen and yes, it was slightly over represented. But, the owner gave me all the receipts and I spoke to the guys that worked on it. I made the determination to go for it and if I got a bad one, it would be my fault.

I suggest you explain to the guy who bought it, detail the process of the sale, no ppi, sight unseen and transfer of funds etc, and tell him the deal is final. Maybe throw in the line that you have spoken to a lawyer, and just don't reply anymore and see what happens.

You sold the car, he got a receipt, there were no warranties, buyer beware. This could be a scam and these two could be trying to screw you.

Just my 2p or 4c in US money
Old 02-24-2008, 06:01 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 282 Likes on 157 Posts

Sounds like the guy is just trying to extort a little money out of you. There is a watch dealer that does this all the time. Most of us won't deal with him because of it.
Old 02-24-2008, 06:14 PM
gonz911
Pro

I'm going to be in the market for a 993 this Spring as soon as I sell my M3. I can assure you that if I didn't do my due diligence then it would be my fault. Just document your conversations and retain your emails, etc. It does not appear that you misrepresented yourself especially since you suggested a PPI and he refused, that's his problem. Ignor the guy and if he persists, maintain your log of threats and go after him for harassment, threats, etc. Turn the table on his sorry a$s. You seem like a really great guy to work with! Good luck.
Old 02-24-2008, 06:17 PM
jimbo3
Rennlist Member

Received 676 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by chris walrod
To put forth effort to satisfy the new owner, you can offer to go back to the dealer you bought it from and offer this new owner all of the proceeds the dealer [you bought it from] extends to you.
+1. Make this agreement with the buyer ahead of time, though.

It sounds like the buyer is trying to shake you down or expected to get a "near perfect car" at a "very good car" price. There are few "near perfect" 12 year old 993's. Ray Joseph and a handful of dealers like him have some, but I'll bet that they're getting a LOT more than your buyer bought his for. If he wanted a museum piece, he was looking in the wrong place and in the wrong price range.

Since he acknowledges that you didn't mis-represent, he doesn't have a leg to stand on after you gave him every opportunity to see/test the car before purchasing. Any legal claim he might make up would almost certainly be in small claims court (unless he's crazy enought to retain and pay for counsel), where he would almost certainly lose.
Old 02-24-2008, 08:09 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm guessing with a low mileage car you didn't sell at bargain basement price. But low mileage and "showroom condition" don't explicitly mean "as delivered from the factory". Unless you so represented, which doesn't appear to be the case here. (Off on a tangent, but do you guys know how many cars are painted from transportation damage? Friend's cousin used to do all the new pre-delivery 'Vettes and Cadillacs in Oakland for many, many years.)

So he has a demand, e.g. damages. And that's what it's all about. It's contract law. If a 13 year old car has had a fender replaced and some bodywork repainted.......well, in the real world out there who cares?
Old 02-24-2008, 09:17 PM
check six
Track Day

one monkey don't stop the circus......be tough
Old 02-24-2008, 09:57 PM
Berkley
Burning Brakes

Default Ty Move Along

Ty I remember the Porsche, the dealer and the price......I recall visiting with you at your home and inspecting the car upon your return to Richmond......It was one of the best examples I've ever seen and well worth the price you paid....

Further, you made a strong impression on me as genuine person with a wonderful family....

Nobody likes to be bullied or threatened, but I for one, would not pay some jackass to go away...As mentioned above VA law is on your side at the end of the day

Frankly, it sounds like a case of buyer's remorse
Old 02-24-2008, 09:59 PM
hddude
Racer

Originally Posted by richardew
Gee, they have a 100% positive rating on ebay.
Thanks for ruining my day with that comment. I just got the old "revenge feedback" trick done to me by by a large seller of golf equipment that somehow "misplaced" my PayPal payment for several days. Fortunately, as of May 2008, sellers will no longer be able to rate buyers -- just like the rest of the world of commerce.

But back to the topic of this thread: An initial consult with a lawyer won't bankrupt anyone, and if this harassment is causing lost sleep, then spend the small sum of money and get some peace of mind. Perhaps a demand letter on your attorney's letterhead will be enough to stop it.
Old 02-24-2008, 10:06 PM
993C4Smontreal
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This guy took a risk by not doign a PPI, and therefore whatever is discovred after the fact that you didnt mis-rep. is his problem.

ALSO, 3 possible scenarios to consider:

1) He damaged the car after taking delivery
2) He played with the paint to get it to look like there was work done to make a few grand off you
3) maybe the mechanic is in on the scam ( a friend) and the car is fine.

good luck and I wouldnt worry if I were you, HE is behind the 8 ball as they say!

sam
Old 02-24-2008, 10:08 PM
gonz911
Pro

Still sounds more like buyers remorse.
Old 02-24-2008, 11:20 PM
Ty Smith
Instructor

Thanks everyone... I'll let you know how it goes. My personal guess is buyers remorse too... I haven't a clue about the mechanic or his findings. The entire thing has been a pain in the butt.

Quick Reply: Disaster Sale of my 993 - need some help please !