Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How can I verify that my Varioram is working?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 04:47 PM
davesnothere
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I looked at the diagram (in the PET) and interpret it to mean that there are two possible configurations of the plumbing (since both part 28s are shown fitting into the same tube 30). Since that seems physically impossible, I'm going with my explanation. Maybe one config is for US and the other ROW? 95s vs 96-98? Not sure.

In any case, regardless of configuration, the part is the same, so I would say you only need one.

- Dave
Old 02-22-2008, 05:28 PM
Fred's 964
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shamrock, if it's working, there is a definite sound change at full throttle at 5200 RPM in any gear above 1st. The engine sound gets much louder.
Old 02-22-2008, 07:42 PM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Based on previous threads, I just bought one. I will install a stent as well before I replace.
Old 02-22-2008, 08:00 PM
shamrock
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ed , Have you checked to see if your actuators are working normally?
Old 02-22-2008, 09:45 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, did some checking today. Pulled out the fan assembly on the left side and started looking at all my connections. Everything seemed pretty normal, no connectors crimped, cracked or pulled out, and the vacuum distributor had the spring mod done out so then I started checking for vacuum.

First checked the reservoir and it held air. Next checked the actuators. There are 3. Lower one moved fine with a vacuum source. There is a "Y" under the intake manifold that splits the vacuum to each of the upper actuators, I checked each one independently and low an behold the rt. side wouldn't hold pressure. Pulled it off and since I had nothing to loose at this point, carefully dissembled it and found a split in the diaphragm. Patched it with a bicycle patch and it is working now!

Will get a new actuator ordered but for now am very pleased to have found the leak, they can be so frustrating to track down.

The "Y" is in the center of the picture. You can disconnect each line individually. I simply attached an extra length of hose on each line and sucked on it, crude but effective. It was immediately apparent that the actuator was leaking.
Attached Images  
Old 02-22-2008, 10:30 PM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by shamrock
Ed , Have you checked to see if your actuators are working normally?
I have no symptoms other than the part in question is collapsed. I even hear the little noises at start up. Maybe everything is working fine. But since I've only been in my 993 and one other, perhaps I don't even know what I'm missing.

I'll take a $15 gamble, put the part in and see what happens.
Old 02-23-2008, 05:38 AM
shamrock
Racer

Originally Posted by prshguy
Well, did some checking today....
WOW Prhguy! .. You certainly did get down to business!.. You guys are so switched on it makes me feel embarrassed how little I know (or can do).

Is there any chance you took more pics of the positions of the other actuators and work done to the diaphragm? I'd love to do the same investigating but would have no confidence in my technical ability.

I wonder if there are schematics of the vacuum system available anywhere.
This varioram system seems fairly complicated (to me!) and I'm wondering if many of the vario cars will suffer the same problems as time/mileages increase.... It might be useful to get some sort of 'How to' thread started on line.
Old 02-23-2008, 01:35 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Originally Posted by shamrock
WOW Prhguy! .. You certainly did get down to business!.. You guys are so switched on it makes me feel embarrassed how little I know (or can do).

Is there any chance you took more pics of the positions of the other actuators and work done to the diaphragm? I'd love to do the same investigating but would have no confidence in my technical ability.

I wonder if there are schematics of the vacuum system available anywhere.
This varioram system seems fairly complicated (to me!) and I'm wondering if many of the vario cars will suffer the same problems as time/mileages increase.... It might be useful to get some sort of 'How to' thread started on line.
Shamrock,
I did take a picture of the actuator but it is simply a static photo. I didn't think to take pics of the repair since it was only intended as an experiment to see if I could get it working. I will be replacing it as soon as I can order the new part. I will attach a photo of the culprit in place. Upon reflection I think what caused it to fail was the seal around the edge, not the diaphragm itself. You would not need to do as much disassembly as I did to check the two upper actuators. The vacuum hose plugs in to the top of the unit, simply pull off the hose, attach a spare bit of the right size hose and apply some vacuum. Like I said, I simply sucked on the end of the hose, crude but effective, and you can see the arm move easily, doesn't take much. If you look at the photo you can see the vacuum line coming in from the rear.
Attached Images  
Old 02-23-2008, 07:37 PM
shamrock
Racer

Thanks Prshguy , I'm going to get my nose into that engine bay as soon as I can to try and figure out whats goin on with my vario ..

If anyones got any detailed descriptions / diagrams of the system please post em !!
Old 02-24-2008, 06:35 AM
shamrock
Racer

Well today being the first dry day in a week over here meant I could take the car cover off , and yessir I've got pinched vacuum junction syndrome!!

...Unfortunately I won't be able to get to it for a few days as things are manic around here , but I'll get the spring in eventually , and let y'all know how I get on ...
Old 03-02-2008, 02:40 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jackb911
Here are some pictures of the hose that collapses and kills the Varioram that I found awhile back.

The first pic shows the collapsed Varioram distribution hose (center of picture). This is on the driver's side of the engine, sort of near the engine lid pneumatic strut.

The second pic shows a new hose installed (engine obviously out of car).

The third pic shows the hose by itself. I think the spring in the picture is a recoil spring from a M1911 .45 cal automatic pistol, which cut to length and inserted into the hose keeps it from collapsing later on.
Mine does not look as pinched as the one in the photo, but it is definitely a soft piece of rubber with a slight bend to it. I wouldn't characterize it as collapsed. Air can certainly pass through, but I'm imagining if the part is supposed to be hard straight rubber, it would pass through all that much easier.

To those who have ordered this part, am wondering if the new OEM part is hard rubber which stays completely straight?
Old 03-02-2008, 03:54 PM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rome
To those who have ordered this part, am wondering if the new OEM part is hard rubber which stays completely straight?
The new one is soft and deformable...I also ordered a recoil spring from midwayusa.com
Old 03-02-2008, 04:04 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Thanks Ed. I think I'm good to go.
Old 03-02-2008, 05:34 PM
99three
Three Wheelin'

It would be interesting to know if the hose, even though it seems OK at the moment, collapses when the the V/RAM is called for duty.
The same reason I added 4 hardpipes on my 300ZX Twinturbo. At full boost the intake plenums would start closing in on themselves restricting air velocity. Obviously observed on a dyno. Any thoughts?
Old 03-02-2008, 10:13 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Originally Posted by 99three
It would be interesting to know if the hose, even though it seems OK at the moment, collapses when the the V/RAM is called for duty.
The same reason I added 4 hardpipes on my 300ZX Twinturbo. At full boost the intake plenums would start closing in on themselves restricting air velocity. Obviously observed on a dyno. Any thoughts?
I think if there is already a pinch developing, even if slight, it could deform further. The spring insert fix is an easy preventative measure.

Quick Reply: How can I verify that my Varioram is working?