Sponsored by:

OT: Georgians only

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 12:00 PM
Reynard38
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by banzai993
We could start a very large thread abou tall the stupid crap that our tax dollars are spent on and I suspect that discussion would eventually turn into a political/socialogical one HOWEVER

I am sure you fellow Atlantans (I have been here 28 years) all remember the hubub around 400 and all the BS about the "toll road".. personally I think we shoudl have a few more of those around here.. for instance.. we could use another north/south expressway/lane into the Perimeter from the North or an outer beltway arc north of town and make the damn things toll roads..

traffic here blows and there is no relief unless you drive at odd hours.. and road tolls are a form of "use tax" which is easier to swallow IMHO.

Not trying to start a sheet storm here but after re-locating to 20 miles north of the perimeter OMG traffic sucks!
The ad valorem tax does suck. Glad the 993 is another year older. The more rural counties do charge a bit less though.
On traffic in ATL I agree it's horrible. I don't have to drive at rush hour very often, but I am looking forward to moving out towards Rome in a few years. I'll be able to get to the airport without getting on the Interstate!
Old 02-23-2008, 12:17 PM
banzai993
Racer

a bit of levity..

in 1997 I bought a 1996 993TT and was getting it tagged and titled at my lake house up at Hartwell (Oconee cty SC) and when I went to the tax commissioners office the clerk opens up a big book looking for my vehicle model and the associated tax.. there were of course about 10 listings for various 911s available.. she turned the book upside down and asked me which one it was.. I pointed to the basic NA 993.. probably 40% less than the BB on the TT

does that make me a bad person?
Old 03-02-2008, 03:57 PM
ventoGT
Three Wheelin'

Ad Valorem isn't terrible unless you pay tax on the car when you buy it. Remember, used car private sales are tax-free in Georgia. I have taken full advantage of this. The other good thing is that the Ad Valorem is based on some sliding depreciation scale from new so the older your car is the less it is. Ad Valorem on my 356 was less than a dollar On my 1991 M5 it's like $80.

I don't complain about usage taxes, but when you pair them with sales tax and the FREAKING PROPERTY TAXES HERE--I'm not even in Fulton and it's disgusting, ratcheting up 10-15% per year. Ridiculous.

As for the University of Florida tags not being allowed here, I fully support that if Florida won't allow a UGA tag. Florida has more crap tacky tags than any state in the country--I think you can get a freaking Star Wars tag on your car in Florida. I admit I am a Bulldog, but here's my rationale: if Florida gets all the damned tax revenue from the GA/FL game every year and then the Florida residents don't pay income tax to the State, Florida fans shouldn't get to then galavant around our State where we do pay income tax and have to travel to Florida to watch a "neutral site" game with Gator tags on their cars.

Go Dawgs

Quick Reply: OT: Georgians only