Sponsored by:

Some Mods, Short Shift, 3rd Gear Chirps, Shifter knob vibration SOLVED

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 12:20 PM
c993k
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Some Mods, Short Shift, 3rd Gear Chirps, Shifter **** vibration SOLVED

My 993 for the past two and half years had two annoying problems.
The first was it chirped when quick shifting into 3rd gear sometimes and the other the shifter had a vibration
that caused the carbon shifter **** to make a lot of noise!
I first thought let's make this three piece shifter **** a bit tighter.
So I took it off and carefully attempted to take it apart. It 's press fitted in such a way that makes impossible to take it apart without damaging it.
I used silicone to fill all the gaps and then press fitted it back together and installed back on the shifter.
Although it dampened the vibration noise a lot , it was still present.
I had noticed increased play in the shifter so I thought sooner or later I'll take it apart and install the Short Shift Kit I had ordered from Gert about a year ago.
After going for a ride I parked the car in the garage and the next time I went to take it out I had no shfting ability at all. It got disconnected from the shifter rod .
I took it apart and ordered two cup bushings from a 928 and installed them in the shifter rod ($10 instead of $240 for the rod) PART # 928-116-145-03
I then installed the Short Shift Kit using new plastic bearings. PART # 999-924-002-40 get Four of them!
Everything went smooth but I didn't like the extra height that the Short Shifter has so I used the grinder and took it down about 1.5".

Now here's a Mod I came with that save's you being stuck and having to call a tow truck.
I made an L bracket to hold the front cup ball of the shifter rod from dropping off the ball on the front frame bracket.
I wondered why this wasn't done before.
It saves you from the cup bushing failure that's only a matter of time before everyone will experience.

All went well, a quick cleanup and out for a test drive. No noise, No vibration, No chirp when quick shifting into 3rd
and about a 25% shorter shifting pattern.
Everything back to perfection!
~Chris~
Sorry for the hand drawn parts but you get the idea

Here's another option that you could replace both cups with these adjustable ones

Now for those of you who feel really creative go here and design your own, http://www.speedwaymotors.com/m/105_...s-Sleeves.html

Last edited by c993k; 02-15-2008 at 08:22 PM.
Old 02-15-2008, 12:23 PM
flyenby
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am interested in the modification that you did to the shift rod...and the 928 part numbers...can you explain that in more detail thanks
Old 02-15-2008, 12:55 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

We need pics!!
Old 02-15-2008, 01:15 PM
c993k
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
We need pics!!
Eric, I wanted to take photos but it was in a weird location once installed so I have to make some drawings to explain it better which I'll add to the original post
later tonight. ~Chris~
Old 02-15-2008, 01:54 PM
MB965
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 35 Posts

The front ball cup of the front shifter rod can be replaced with a metric spherical rod end. Cut the ball off the front mounting bracket, tap it and use a bolt and spacers to get the rod in the proper position. All bolt-on except the cutting and tapping.
I also modifided the rear end of the front rod (at the shifter) using a spherical rod end, but for this I modified the rod by welding on a piece to mount the rod end in because the factory rod has the ball cup welded on.

Mike
Old 02-15-2008, 02:36 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by MB965
The front ball cup of the front shifter rod can be replaced with a metric spherical rod end. Cut the ball off the front mounting bracket, tap it and use a bolt and spacers to get the rod in the proper position. All bolt-on except the cutting and tapping.
I also modifided the rear end of the front rod (at the shifter) using a spherical rod end, but for this I modified the rod by welding on a piece to mount the rod end in because the factory rod has the ball cup welded on.

Mike
Mike,
I've been thinking of doing the same. Do you have any pics of how you modified the fixed rear rod end? How about a good source for rod ends?

Andreas
Old 02-15-2008, 04:05 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Mike
This is a project in process now. I bought a complete 2wd shifter assembly some time ago to measure, model it in CAD and look at areas that need to be improved. Like everything else, projects such as these always move along much slower than anticipated, sadly.
Old 02-15-2008, 04:14 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My front bushing has quite a bit of up and down play and was getting ready to order the factory busyhing. Would love to do this mod, where can I get the spherical ends? Also, the bushing, if we are talking about the same one, appeared to have a thread end that attached to the shift rod, kind of like a tie-rod.
Old 02-15-2008, 04:53 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chris walrod
This is a project in process now. I bought a complete 2wd shifter assembly some time ago to measure, model it in CAD and look at areas that need to be improved. Like everything else, projects such as these always move along much slower than anticipated, sadly.
Chris,
Count me in as a strongly interested party should you eventually sell something along these lines. I am really only looking for a fool-proof replacement for the stabilizer rod. I already have the RS shift rod (not shift lever) and love it.

Andreas
Old 02-15-2008, 04:55 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Originally Posted by AOW162435
Chris,
Count me in as a strongly interested party should you eventually sell something along these lines. I am really only looking for a fool-proof replacement for the stabilizer rod. I already have the RS shift rod (not shift lever) and love it.

Andreas
How does the RS shift rod differ from the stock unit?
Old 02-15-2008, 05:04 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Roger,
The shift rod connects the shift lever to the transmission. The stock unit has a rubber isolator that, you guessed it, isolates transmission vibrations from the shift linkage. At the same time, it allows for a noticeable amount of slop. The RS piece (#12 below) utilizes an all-metal universal joint instead. The end result is that it eliminates the slop.

Andreas
Old 02-15-2008, 08:34 PM
c993k
Rennlist Member

I added as much information as I could for now, The idea is, you can bring the shifter rod back to original
form which is quite good for about 6-8 years and spend very little cash, you can buy a new rod and cups from the dealer
for about $280 which is no different than repairing you old one for just $10.
OR get the complete RS Short Shift Kit, or even the Weiltmeister kit uses solid ends.
You can make your own with the adjustable ends,
or create a brand new design with the rods and joints with parts from http://www.speedwaymotors.com/m/105_...s-Sleeves.html making it bulletproof.
Either way you will eliminate the vibrating shifter **** problem and many of you will eliminate the 3rd gear shifting chirp.
I hope this helps someone! Good luck.
~Chris~

Last edited by c993k; 02-16-2008 at 05:02 AM.
Old 02-16-2008, 01:45 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Mike
Mike, If I understand, referring to the drawing schematic posted by Andreas, you placed both ends of the forward shift rod (number 15). What did you do with the end of the shifter(number 1) that originally has the ball on it?

Also, I did a Google search for Heim joints and found quite a few suppliers, some with teflon, some with bronze, some made from stainless and some aluminum, what did you chose and are these often available locally like thru a bearing supplier?
Old 02-27-2008, 01:13 AM
ruffy
Burning Brakes

hi Chris,
First off, thanks for sharing!
I'm a complete dummy at DIY, would the info on this thread be enough for my shop to understand what to do?
Also, a pic would be fantastic
TIA
Chunn
Old 02-27-2008, 07:40 AM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

The ball cup from 928motorsports is a neat piece but if you can get the right size ball and order from speedway, you can basically save close to 50$.

OR just wait till Chris finishes his rod kit and buy from him.

Quick Reply: Some Mods, Short Shift, 3rd Gear Chirps, Shifter knob vibration SOLVED