Checking part numbers for heat exchanger removal

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 08:09 AM
RS man
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Checking part numbers for heat exchanger removal

Hi guys,

Just checking with you guys that the following part nos are correct when I remove the heat exchangers.
Gaskett (Bischoff) 930 111 192 06
Sealing ring 993 111 19500 - what about the 993 111 19400?
Socket head nut 999 085 00102
Locking Nut 999 084 052 02

Do we need to put on some paste/sealant for the Bischoff gasket when assembling everything together?

Thanks in advance.

Harry
Old 02-09-2008, 11:15 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Do you have a cat. conv. on your car?
I just did mine last month and your 993.111.195.00 is the number I used for the (6) sealing rings. The H/E to cat. conv. gasket number I used was 928.111.127.02 which is round on the internal side and triangular externally but I go to a cat. The 192.06 p/n in my PET shows an oblong exhaust gasket, maybe to a non-cat exhaust?
I did not replace the nuts but it's recommended, I just didn't have them. Did torque the nuts down though (28Nm).
No sealant used, just a dab of antiseize on the sealing rings to hold them in their slots while the H/E's are being reseated.

Unfortunately the parts vendor I used has their own p/n's on the invoice and I've already tossed the plastic bags the parts came in so I can't confirm those numbers. The parts bags did have Porsche p/n's on them though.
HTH
Old 02-09-2008, 03:05 PM
RS man
Rennlist Member

Thanks Bill,

I think the gasket have different shapes as mine is 1995~6 Bischoff flange vs Gillet which I think is your type. My heat exchangers says Bischoff. Man, all I was doing was to try and chage the spark plugs!!

Harry
Old 02-09-2008, 04:01 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Originally Posted by RS man
Thanks Bill,

I think the gasket have different shapes as mine is 1995~6 Bischoff flange vs Gillet which I think is your type. My heat exchangers says Bischoff. Man, all I was doing was to try and chage the spark plugs!!

Harry
If all you're doing is replacing the spark plugs you don't need to remove the heat exchangers. You do need to remove the mufflers though. I don't think removing the H/E's buys you anything. ** My point of ref. is a '97 USA car but I can't believe a '95 ROW is that much different.

I'm wondering if there isn't a terminology problem, the H/E's mount directly to the cylinders w/ the 6 (per side) nuts. The mufflers are the cans on the rear/side of the engine. The mufflers do come off for spark plug replacement (I don't know if they HAVE to but I think it makes the chore much easier).

If I can attach a parts drawing I will later.
Old 02-09-2008, 04:11 PM
RS man
Rennlist Member

Bill you will see my woes if you saw my post about removing the exhaust muffler on the right - I have rounded off the corner of the hex bolt and the only way to get a good perch on the bolt will be to remove the heat exchanger which is in the way.
I would prefer not to do extra jobs but I have no option as I need to change the top 3 spark plugs on the right.

Harry
Old 02-09-2008, 04:14 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Harry, do you have a copy of the Porsche Parts Cat. (PET)? If not you can download it, it's in Adobe PDF format. That may help you out.

PET catalog

It used to be available to us online via a official Porsche web site but I don't remember if it was on PCNA's site or Porsche DE's site.
Old 02-09-2008, 04:15 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Bill you will see my woes if you saw my post about removing the exhaust muffler on the right - I have rounded off the corner of the hex bolt and the only way to get a good perch on the bolt will be to remove the heat exchanger which is in the way.
I would prefer not to do extra jobs but I have no option as I need to change the top 3 spark plugs on the right.

Harry
OK, sorry, I did not see that post.

Is there enough room to get a Dremil tool in there? They are small and the cut-off disk works wonders. I've had to use that in the past on my '88 911 and other cars.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:06 AM
RS man
Rennlist Member

I do not want to cut off anything and make life even more difficult. I thought of using a device to cut off the nuts so that the cutting tip would wedge into the bolt head but I thought better of it.

Harry
Old 02-10-2008, 11:27 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

I do not want to cut off anything and make life even more difficult. I thought of using a device to cut off the nuts so that the cutting tip would wedge into the bolt head but I thought better of it.

Harry
Why? I've cut off nuts on exhaust systems on my '88 911 and on my 968. It's pretty painless, you just have to replace the bolts & nuts which it sounds like you'll need to do anyway. It's a heck of a lot easier than dropping the muffler, cat and heat exchanger all at the same time.
Old 02-10-2008, 02:10 PM
RS man
Rennlist Member

Bill,

It isn't the nuts that's the problem as this bolt has no nuts. If I remove the head of the bolt I think there will not be enough length of the bolt to grip with pliers etc and whilst I still have a hexagonal head, it should be amenable to be tackled with an adjustable spanner. The heat exchanger is in the way for this purpose. Any other stiff bolts I have managed to loosen wihtout damage as there were plenty of space available to use a socket and an extension bar on the ratchet handle. There is no space to do anything with the heat exchanger. The worst part is that the chain tensioner's cover is in the way and will not allow a socket to be fitted on that particular bolt.

Harry

Quick Reply: Checking part numbers for heat exchanger removal