Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Daily Driver 993 owners, I need to please hear from you!

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 05:48 AM
chet
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For daily driver duty:

One of the complaints I had with my car, as far as daily driver duty goes, is how noisy it was. Not just that nice engine sound, but a lot of road noise too. I just put new tires on it, and am pleasantly surprised to find that my old tires were apparently part of the problem. (It needed new tires when I bought it, so I didn't really have any time on those tires before putting Yoko AVS ES100's on.) To my ear, the Kumho Ecsta SPT's I just changed to seem much quieter. That makes a difference when you're driving it all the time, and not just for fun.

A second daily driver problem I have had is my AC. I still don't have that sorted out, and a lot of times when I am seeing clients in the hot Texas summer, I don't take the porsche because I don't want to show up looking like I just stepped out of a sauna. That may not be as much of a problem where you are, but here, having poor AC is a problem. (The posts of those members out there with good AC keep me hopeful, and I haven't given up my quest to find a specific problem so that I can fix it, but all those members who complain about their AC don't make it any easier.)

As far as other maintenance stuff goes, you probably know more about that than I do. But I will add this. When I replaced my brake pads with non-Porsche pads, I suffered with intermittent squealing for over a year because I was raised with the belief that you don't throw something away that is still useful. I refused to throw away perfectly good pads with plenty of life left in them. But when you allow that the definition of "perfectly good" might include not sounding like a garbage truck as you come to a stop, I finally realized that life is too short to deal with that kind of annoyance. At the same time that I replaced my tie rods to get rid of a handling problem that I had been trying to figure out, I replaced those brake pads with genuine Porsche pads, and bought new tires (not because of the noise but just because I needed new tires). With my tighter handling, non-squeal stopping, quieter riding car, I'm as giddy as a school girl. At least until those temperatures start to rise.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:51 AM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Don't forget to get a good polish and wax (I personally prefer synthetics like Klasse) at least twice a year. Daily driving will KILL a car's paint.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:47 AM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Chet,

There is hope for your AC. My 993 kept me very cool last summer. I have not had my 964 during the summer yet, but the few times I turned it on it blew very cold.

I had a different 993 in AZ and it kept me cool as long as I didn't park it outside in the sun on a 115 degree day. (What car would?)

Originally Posted by chet
For daily driver duty:

One of the complaints I had with my car, as far as daily driver duty goes, is how noisy it was. Not just that nice engine sound, but a lot of road noise too. I just put new tires on it, and am pleasantly surprised to find that my old tires were apparently part of the problem. (It needed new tires when I bought it, so I didn't really have any time on those tires before putting Yoko AVS ES100's on.) To my ear, the Kumho Ecsta SPT's I just changed to seem much quieter. That makes a difference when you're driving it all the time, and not just for fun.

A second daily driver problem I have had is my AC. I still don't have that sorted out, and a lot of times when I am seeing clients in the hot Texas summer, I don't take the porsche because I don't want to show up looking like I just stepped out of a sauna. That may not be as much of a problem where you are, but here, having poor AC is a problem. (The posts of those members out there with good AC keep me hopeful, and I haven't given up my quest to find a specific problem so that I can fix it, but all those members who complain about their AC don't make it any easier.)

As far as other maintenance stuff goes, you probably know more about that than I do. But I will add this. When I replaced my brake pads with non-Porsche pads, I suffered with intermittent squealing for over a year because I was raised with the belief that you don't throw something away that is still useful. I refused to throw away perfectly good pads with plenty of life left in them. But when you allow that the definition of "perfectly good" might include not sounding like a garbage truck as you come to a stop, I finally realized that life is too short to deal with that kind of annoyance. At the same time that I replaced my tie rods to get rid of a handling problem that I had been trying to figure out, I replaced those brake pads with genuine Porsche pads, and bought new tires (not because of the noise but just because I needed new tires). With my tighter handling, non-squeal stopping, quieter riding car, I'm as giddy as a school girl. At least until those temperatures start to rise.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:01 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by axl911
Don't forget to get a good polish and wax (I personally prefer synthetics like Klasse) at least twice a year. Daily driving will KILL a car's paint.
Klasse! awesome stuff!!!!
Especially on dark colors
Old 02-06-2008, 02:07 PM
dhicks
Drifting

Default Daily driving and paint

My (104K miles) Daily Driver ...well it was until 4-5 months ago......with Optimum Seal and Polish, put on with a Porter Cable, then finshed with their detail spray wax.....daily dricing does not look to have killed the paintwork here.
Attached Images  

Last edited by dhicks; 09-07-2013 at 05:13 PM.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:19 PM
Receiver
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dhicks
My (104K miles) Daily Driver ...well it was until 4-5 months ago......with Optimum Seal and Polish, put on with a Porter Cable, then finshed with their detail spray wax.....daily dricing does not look to have killed the paintwork here.
Got time to do mine?
Old 02-06-2008, 02:39 PM
dhicks
Drifting

Drive it down and I will do it this w/e :-)
Old 02-06-2008, 07:19 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by dhicks
David/dhicks
What kind of wheels are those?

Last edited by Kika; 02-06-2008 at 11:52 PM.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:35 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

I'm in the process of picking up a 95 C4 to replace my totaled Audi S4 as my DD, 90mi a day round trip. I CAN'T WAIT!!!

We had 2 days in the past couple of weeks that were not rain, & I drove the C4S to work, LOVED IT!
Old 02-06-2008, 07:48 PM
samsnead
Pro

Congratulations, I had a feeling you were going to pick up a 2nd p car.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:20 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

thanks everyone.. I do plan on Zainoing it after the maintenance gets done

Quick Reply: Daily Driver 993 owners, I need to please hear from you!