993 Forum 1995-1998

Building an RS Clone (sort of)...

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 01:36 AM
avidtest
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jscott82
Definitely do a search. Starting even a "sorta" rs clone is a very steep, very slippery slope (ask me how I know). Don’t get me wrong its alot of fun, I am working on car #2 at the moment, just be sure you know what you are in for. I would advise to be careful what you “upgrade” though. Assuming you get into and really enjoy the DE thing you will probably want to dip your toe into racing. Some of these parts bump you into very fast race classes where a 993 is just not competitive.
jscott82 is right. I bought his old car which came with all his receipts. And even though it was in very good condition, I've added my own thick set of receipts. And after all that, it is still a compromised car for the track (although still an awesome car). As I slowly gain more experience on the track, I have started considering a full on track car; an older 911 though. So, I guess my advice is, don't go crazy on big budget mods expecting them to make a giant difference on the track. If you're going more for the RS look rather than performance, that may be a different story and I'd say do whatever makes you happy.

Now that I've issued my disclaimer, if you are going to do track mods anyway, I would suggest; suspension, LWF/RS clutch, track seats, and 6-point harness, in that order.

And one last comment; if you are going to track it a lot, you may want to spend a little less on a car that is not pristine. Trust me. It is nerve-wracking taking a beautiful car (if I do say so myself) on the track. I recently had a tire failure at about 85 on a corner with another car on my tail. It turned out to be a non-issue but you never know....
Old 01-31-2008, 04:22 AM
clubsport1
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Todd, if you send me your email through the message system I can send you a pdf copy of the 993RS technical bulletin, it lists the differences between 993 C2 & RS vs CS.....frightening reading prepare to hammer that credit card!
Old 01-31-2008, 04:39 AM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ToddMcF2002
Anyway here is my plan, starting with a Holt C2. I'm assuming the Holt cars are clean by reputation? They seem to have a good rep and I'd rather pay a premium for peace of mind. Should I still PPI one of these?
This is a little bit silly, IMHO. Sure, Holt sells some nice 993's. But there are plenty of other places where you can find a nice, low-mileage 993. A quality PPI is going to sort out the good cars from the great ones; and regardless, 993's came from the factory with defective valve guides, and almost every one of then needs a top end rebuild by 60-70K.

So it seems to me that you're starting this project off by throwing a lot of money away for no good reason.
Old 01-31-2008, 05:08 AM
tony soprano
Advanced

Originally Posted by David Ray
Yep
If I'm not stepping on Todd's toes, can I get some more information on the pedal set you have for sale? I don't have enough posts to PM or email yet. Thanks!
Old 01-31-2008, 11:34 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

I agree with Noah that you could be wasting money if you pay a premium for a nice car, only to turn it into a track car.

However, I disagree that "almost every one of then needs a top end rebuild by 60-70K." That's not the common sentiment, since many 993's go far longer than that.
Old 01-31-2008, 02:18 PM
ToddMcF2002
Advanced

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
I agree with Noah that you could be wasting money if you pay a premium for a nice car, only to turn it into a track car.

However, I disagree that "almost every one of then needs a top end rebuild by 60-70K." That's not the common sentiment, since many 993's go far longer than that.
Are the Holt cars that expensive? 40 - 43K is a bit higher than the private listings but most of those C2's are in the high 30's? The only screaming deal I see on this board is that one black C4S in Montana for $43K that still needs a service and I don't know what is going on with that ECU.

I don't know. I'll shop around of course but my principal concern is a solid car. I'm NOT building a dedicated track car, but a daily driver with decent track capabilities. Maybe I've over emphasized my track requirements or the "RS Clone" term here means something hardcore as an end result. In the end I want a 993 that is cosmetically RS'ish on the outside and I wan't to enjoy it every day with occasional track days. I don't want a car without a radio or AC etc.
Old 01-31-2008, 04:03 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 381 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by ToddMcF2002
I'm NOT building a dedicated track car, but a daily driver with decent track capabilities. Maybe I've over emphasized my track requirements or the "RS Clone" term here means something hardcore as an end result. In the end I want a 993 that is cosmetically RS'ish on the outside and I wan't to enjoy it every day with occasional track days. I don't want a car without a radio or AC etc.

I think thats what we all said when we started.... :-) slippery slope.....

Shannon, if I would have kept the car I would have done everything you have done.... very nice.... you need to post some pics... I miss that car, but Im glad its got a great new home....
Old 01-31-2008, 08:59 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
Fair enough; but it remains true that it is more likely than not that any given 993 is going to need valve guides before hitting, say, 75K miles. This is a project that can basically be relied upon.

In terms of buying a used 993, I think it ends up being one of those things that separates the market in half: between those cars that have had the top end done, and those that haven't. I remember shopping for my car, and narrowed my search down to two cars, both 1996 C2 coupes. One had 57K on the odometer and used a quart of oil every 1,000 miles; the other had 84K on the odometer and had just had a complete top end, engine reseal, and plugs/wires done. I picked the higher mileage example that had had the valve guides done, and the asking prices for the two cars were almost identical.
Old 02-01-2008, 01:32 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 523 Likes on 346 Posts
Cool Man am I bored, nothing to do so....

993 RS` Poseur (I have one!)
Here is what I would do:
1. Suspension, the PSS 10s seem to be a great all around suspension and they already come with matching springs. Have the car lowered to RS ride height corner balanced and aligned. If you are lucky enough to klive in SoCal, there are some great shops to do the alignment

2. 993 RS sway bars, don't accept any substitutes,

3. 993 RS front splitters and side skirts from www.carnewal.com

4. 993 RS tail from Getty Design

5. Front lower control arm bushing from Chris Walrod

6. Have your stock calipers painted/powder coated red. The 933 RS front and rear brakes are over kill IMHO (I confess I have the 993 TT brakes on my car) The stock brakes are more than adequate, and the replacement stock rotors are far cheaper, and the pads are cheaper too. Be certain the brake system is flushed and competition DOT 4 brake fluid is installed.

7. Recaro Pole position seats

8. Schroth 5/6 point harness, both sides. Get the pull up belts, you'll only adjust them once.

9 DAS-sport bolt in bar

10. Strut tower connector bar

11. 993 RS motor mounts (Some also install the 993RS tranny mount

12. Chris' DACH X sports cats

13 DACH-X muffler or Robin Sun's RSR mufflers

14 Large oval exhaust tips

15 Air intake snorkel from 993 TT car.

16 18" wheels, 8" wide fron, 10" wide rear

17 Toyo R-888 tires. You can drive to the track on these puppies. Keep your 17" wheels for the street

18 AJ USA sport steering wheel with air bag

19 993 RS shifter would be a plus too.

20 Let's not forget the RS light weight flywheel and clutch.

With this set up, you'll have your hands full for years to come. I'd post pics of mine but I am not at my computer. The 993 so configured is great fun to drive on the street and on the track too.

When you want to get competitive, go to stage two which will include adjustable front camber plates/mono ***** for the front and monoballs for the rear. You will then be thinking of putting the car on a diet...substitute RS America door panels for the stock 993 panels.

I have kept my sun roof, six CD player and air conditioning. In fact I added an additional oil cooler (From Ruf) attached to the left side front fender air conditioning condenser......that is as far as I go.

In conclusion, it makes no financial sense to clone a 993RS car 100%. There are just too many little details, especially in the suspension, that would cost a fortune to duplicate...and then you'f wind up with a heavy, and most likely, non competitive car. The 3.8 conversion alone would be over $10,000 and that only yields about 15 more HP..get some added torque too, but over $10,000?

Good luck with the project.
Old 02-01-2008, 02:00 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 537 Likes on 372 Posts

993 RS` Poseur (I have one!)
Here is what I would do:
1. JIC comps are a great bang for the buck, they incude monoball upper mounts for the more track oriented owner(fine for street use too)

2. 993 RS sway bars, don't accept any substitutes or oem, 993Cup bars which are slightly larger(and a lot more expensive)

3. 993 RS front splitters and side skirts from www.carnewal.com RS/CS is a better track choice but harder to live w/ on the street

4. 993 RS tail from Getty Design, RS/CS is a better track choice, but has the boy racer look(JMO)

5. Front lower control arm bushing from Chris Walrod

6. there is no substitie for adequate brakes, 993RS run cooler and last far longer w/ far less maintainance. Be certain the brake system is flushed and competition DOT 4 brake fluid is installed.

7. Recaro Pole position seats, there are other equally fuctional and cheaper choices(just not as sexy looking)

8. Schroth 5/6 point harness, both sides. Get the pull up belts, you'll only adjust them once.

9 DAS-sport bolt in bar

10. Strut tower connector bar

11. 993 RS motor mounts (Some also install the 993RS tranny mount

12. Fabspeed or Cargraphic cat by pass

13. stock mufflers for places like LRP, RSR are great for tracks w/o noise abatement issues

14. lighten the car as much as you can live w/

15. LSD.

16 18" wheels, 8" wide fron, 10" wide rear, 8.5" front can give a bit beter turn in.

17 Toyo R-888 tires. You can drive to the track on these puppies. Keep your 17" wheels for the street. MPSC gas better sizes for 993, 225(ore 235)/40x18 & 265/35x18

18 AJ USA sport steering wheel with air bag

19 993 RS shifter.

20 Let's not forget the RS light weight flywheel and clutch.

21. regear the trans

22. second GT2 oil cooler

23. larger displacement p/c, cams, intake, EFI & spark control can yield very satisfactory results(it ain't ever gonna be cheap)
Old 02-01-2008, 05:02 PM
ToddMcF2002
Advanced

That's a list alright. $35K including labor?

Can you tell me a bit more about #2? You said don't accept substitutes or OEM which confuses me. I'm assuming you mean Rennsport Adjustable Stabilizer package listed on Carnewal? This exchange rate stuff is brutal
Old 02-01-2008, 05:21 PM
clubsport1
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Todd, no axe here, I have a Porsche 993RS technical bulletin pdf file of all the differences between a C2 and RS, I dont have web space to host it...if you send me any email address where you can receive the file, this will show you the differences...good place to start......excellent advice on here, but you need to be on a certain wavelength or know a little more for it all to make sense...

I have a genuine RSCS myself and it is a very different ride to a C2
Old 02-01-2008, 07:46 PM
ToddMcF2002
Advanced

I PM'ed you - thanks very much for the offer.
Old 02-01-2008, 11:47 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

And don't count out looking for an already fully, or partially, built car. Mine was a spare-no-expense effort by the previous owner, sadly for him and thankfully for me the resale market dictated a price just a bit above a nice stock car. Understand mine, though licensed, is in no way acceptable for street use. But there ARE cars out there not on the ragged edge which will give you the potential to learn and enjoy.

Usual offer--if you're out this way, take it out for a drive (anyone else, too, for that matter).
Old 02-02-2008, 12:39 AM
ToddMcF2002
Advanced

Thanks for the generous offer. Believe me I know all about being on the losing end of building a car only to see pennies on the dollar in the end. If I can find one even partially there I'll grab it.

My parts estimate is about ~18,000 and that's just the obvious cosmetic and suspension stuff. That LSD is a killer.

Quick Reply: Building an RS Clone (sort of)...