Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front door speaker upgrade (premium pkg)

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 10:48 AM
RDS928S
Banned

Received 709 Likes on 316 Posts
Default Front door speaker upgrade (premium pkg)

Can anyone help with direct "drop in" speakers for the front door system.
I have the premium oem system where the speakers are stacked over one another in the same housing/same grill. I assume there is a crossover unit in there as well?
The teewts are an easy replacement in the upper door.
Could not find anything in the archives.

Thanks in advance
Rich
Old 01-29-2008, 11:22 AM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Depth shouldn't be a problem, measure the diameter of the speakers and they should drop in. I don't know if there are 3 ways that will fit every opening. The non -hi fi set used a coil on the woofer and a cap on the tweeter (which is basically a low pass and high pass filter,e g. "crossover" albeit cheap) so I am sure the hi fi set has at least that.
I think some just replace the tweeter and woofer and "lose" the mid speaker.
A lot of people here like Focals ($$$) MB Quart are also very good. I have Oz Audio Matrix Elite components that I really like.
Other good speakers Boston Acoustics, Polk, and Hertz.
Contact Rod Birch at Audio Innovations, he can probably recommend a speaker set that drops in.

It is difficult to compare, because everyone has different tastes, and what sounds good to someone else, may not sound good to you. Not to mention, how they sound in your car, will sound nothing like in a store display.

I have a set of stock non-hi-fi woofers that came out of my C2 when I upgraded. the paper is in good condition, no tears, rips etc. Foam surrounds have some small tears. no grills, if anyone wants them, FREE, pick them up locally, or just pay shipping. They sounded good when they came out of the car, but with 125 Watts per channel, they wouldn't have survived the drive home.

Last edited by Kika; 01-29-2008 at 12:50 PM.
Old 01-29-2008, 01:09 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I had Focals in my Audi TT and they were great. Sometimes you get what you pay for.

Erik

Quick Reply: Front door speaker upgrade (premium pkg)