Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

About to DIM (do it myself)...a suspension question, that is.

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 08:38 PM
993USMC
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About to DIM (do it myself)...a suspension question, that is.

Hi all,
I'm about to pull the trigger on the bilstein/ M030 combo and plan on doing the install myself. I am stationed in a fairly remote location (29 Palms, CA) and am concerned that I will not be able to get to a proper allignment shop in a timely manner.

My tires are not in the best of shape so I am not terribly concerned with the additional wear. If I get the allignment "close enough", can I drive a hundred miles before getting it properly alligned?

The default is to wait until I can get it installed at a specialty shop...but that's more $ and less fun in my book.
I will buy new tires later in the year, BTW.

Thanks,
Doug
Old 01-28-2008, 08:54 PM
jimbo3
Rennlist Member

Received 682 Likes on 407 Posts

I wouldn't worry about driving it 100 miles. You should drive it for 20 miles or so just to get the suspension to settle, anyway. Max out the front camber, drive carefully and avoid wet pavement.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:59 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by 993USMC
Hi all,
I'm about to pull the trigger on the bilstein/ M030 combo and plan on doing the install myself. I am stationed in a fairly remote location (29 Palms, CA) and am concerned that I will not be able to get to a proper allignment shop in a timely manner.

My tires are not in the best of shape so I am not terribly concerned with the additional wear. If I get the allignment "close enough", can I drive a hundred miles before getting it properly alligned?

The default is to wait until I can get it installed at a specialty shop...but that's more $ and less fun in my book.
I will buy new tires later in the year, BTW.

Thanks,
Doug
Mark the rear eccentric (sp) bolts to know what position to put them back in.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:09 PM
Don Plumley
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You could (should) also get a AAA Plus (or gold) membership which comes with free 100 mile tows. I had mine flat bedded after I put my suspension in as it was really crabbing.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:15 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Don Plumley
You could (should) also get a AAA Plus (or gold) membership which comes with free 100 mile tows. I had mine flat bedded after I put my suspension in as it was really crabbing.
That's a great idea.

In my case, I drove it 60 miles to a race shop to have my alignment done. Just follow the DIY instructions and you'll be fine.

Good luck!
Old 01-28-2008, 10:18 PM
993USMC
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys,
I'll order the parts this week. Great idea about the AAA towing...I'd better upgrade my membership.

/Doug

Quick Reply: About to DIM (do it myself)...a suspension question, that is.