Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Anyone ever remove Tint? Can it be Done?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 01:10 PM
mpgandco
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone ever remove Tint? Can it be Done?

Has anyone ever removed tint from there windows?Can it be done without scratching the glass and not damaging the Leather?My car kind of still has that new car smell and I don't want to lose that by using harsh chemicals
Thanks
Old 01-28-2008, 01:15 PM
McGarrett
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes. I've had to have it done a few times. (Tint tickets)

They pretty much just rip it off. get a hold of a corner and RIP!
Old 01-28-2008, 01:36 PM
BufordTJ
Rennlist Member

Standard old Windex is your friend. Just get a corner started and spray on a good soaking of windex and it'll peel right off. Oh before hand use a trash bag and some 3M masking tape to protect the door panels and interior. After peeling soak with Windex and use a clean new razor blade to remove the glue. Done this many times and Windex will destroy plastic window film.
Old 01-28-2008, 02:16 PM
c993k
Rennlist Member

It's messy! Carefull not to scratch the glass with the razor blades. Use many new blades they dull fast. Use extra caution on the rear window.
~Chris~
Old 01-28-2008, 02:47 PM
Redblurr
Racer

Talking Elite tinter here to help

Hello there!, This is my very fisrt post here. I was waiting a while (lurking) to do my first post. Don't really know why, but was taking a peek at the RL today and saw someone that could use my expertise. I have been a Window tinter for 15 years, and am quite good at it. My recomendations for you are for you to use stainless steel razorblades on your side windows only.(stainless blades wont scratch the glass very easily, still using a generous amount of them). On the rear window, use a 000 or finer steel wool. Razor blades will destroy your defrosters for ever! Using windex for your lube in these processes is a good idea. I would just be very careful about getting any on the inetrior. Windex has amonia in it, which is pretty harsh stuff really. I use water mixed with baby shampoo. Fairly straight forward from there. Be careful not to cut yourself and have fun! I hope I've been somewhat helpful. I know you guys here on RL have helped me several times. Let me know if you have any other questions, I 'm happy to help.

On a side note: I plan on doing an official first post shortly, getting a few things done on my 993 first. Will have pics. Excited to do a proper intrduction!
Old 01-28-2008, 03:46 PM
TYNUSKT
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had to get it done once and the guy who tints my cars used this steaming machine that basically softened up the tint on the window and he was able to just pull it off and clean up the windows with a rag and window cleaning solution. No razorblades involved at all.
Old 01-28-2008, 06:36 PM
mpgandco
Pro

I am thinking fo using a heat gun to soften it.Then peel it off.Then us 3 M adhesive remover to get the glue off
Old 01-28-2008, 07:02 PM
VNTGSPD
Rennlist Member

Unless your P-car budget is small (like mine) - I would give this job to my favorite tint guy or detailer. This is a time consuming and tedious job that is worth outsourcing IMO. Kind of like shampooing carpets - I can rent a machine and do it myself but it's just not worth my time and aggravation - and I'm a poor bast**d compared to many of this board.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:20 PM
TYNUSKT
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mpgandco
I am thinking fo using a heat gun to soften it.Then peel it off.Then us 3 M adhesive remover to get the glue off
I'm not sure this would really work that well and sounds like a mess.

Originally Posted by VNTGSPD
Unless your P-car budget is small (like mine) - I would give this job to my favorite tint guy or detailer. This is a time consuming and tedious job that is worth outsourcing IMO. Kind of like shampooing carpets - I can rent a machine and do it myself but it's just not worth my time and aggravation - and I'm a poor bast**d compared to many of this board.
I completely agree with this statement.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:25 PM
The Brewmeister
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Using caution around the rear window defroster grid is excellent advice. The grid is printed onto the
glass with an electrically conductive paint and it doesn't take much of scratch through the grid line
to cause loss of continuity. Once continuity is lost that grid line will be become non-functional.
A heat gun and tempered glass sounds a little risky. If it heats up unevenly the window may explode.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:30 PM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by The Brewmeister
...A heat gun and tempered glass sounds a little risky. If it heats up unevenly the window may explode.
Yes. A friend's passenger window on his 996 did just that.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:47 PM
mpgandco
Pro

Well I have to agree with you guys.I will leave it to the pros>if they damage my car they will have to fix it.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:18 PM
Amfab
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'd hire it done, or listen to the tinter guy

Thanks Redblur, for sharing your knowledge on the matter.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:52 PM
RPW
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spray the window with lightly soapy water and stick a sheet of plastic or trash bag to it. Set it out in the sun for about an hour and it will pull right off.
Old 01-29-2008, 01:30 AM
mpgandco
Pro

RPW
Will it harm the rear defroster at all?If this does indeed work,it would be the easiest

RedBlurr
Thanks for your tips awell.When you guys install this stuff,when you cut the tint to fit the window,what keeps you from scratching the glass with the Blade?

Thanks everyone else for you input

Quick Reply: Anyone ever remove Tint? Can it be Done?