Sponsored by:

C4S vs. Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 05:39 PM
Greg H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

I guess that wasn't a fair statement. Sitting here now, I have had a turbo, but I've never had a supercharged 993 and I thought that would be cool. In addition, my C4S was all done and I had to start over with the TT. I also happen to be a fan of the no-tail look.

My mechanic did a TPC supercharger with a Protomotive ecu remap eliminating the goofy 7th injector and piggyback ecu. That car dynoed about the same as my modified TT, if I recall correctly.

Greg H.
Old 02-01-2008, 02:26 AM
jungleboy
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kdurg
Why not spend the money on the car you already love and appreciate ? For $10k you could do a combination of modifications that will transform the way the car looks, accelerates and handles.

-RS Clutch, LWF
-New Suspension
-Regearing your box
-Slap a TT wing on the back
-Exhaust, Sport Cats

Use these options to keep your enthusiasm up with the 4S for a long long time. The $10k spent will be about 1/2 of what you would need to spend to either upgrade to a TT engine swap or get into a TT altogether.

Seems like a no brainer for anyone with a stock C4S and an itch for something new.
Certainly want to keep the car... all the upgrades you mentioned will come one at a time. I think my immediate concern will be the suspension. PSS10s, as soon as the vendors get their hands on them and I can find a good price or maybe a good group buy. The TT idea was not just to get the look, but for the extra pwr. Again, not in any particular rush... I can foresee craving more hp as I get more seat time, especially when every run in the mill sports car these days seem to get close to or surpass the power output of the 993.
Old 02-01-2008, 02:27 AM
jungleboy
Pro

Originally Posted by Greg H.
I guess that wasn't a fair statement. Sitting here now, I have had a turbo, but I've never had a supercharged 993 and I thought that would be cool. In addition, my C4S was all done and I had to start over with the TT. I also happen to be a fan of the no-tail look.

My mechanic did a TPC supercharger with a Protomotive ecu remap eliminating the goofy 7th injector and piggyback ecu. That car dynoed about the same as my modified TT, if I recall correctly.

Greg H.
This is the first time I've heard about the Protomotive ecu remap eliminating the 7th injector... is this true?
Old 02-08-2008, 12:07 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Wow I never noticed how much negativity is out there about modding a 993. If you want to do it, do it. Your options are something like this:
1. sell your car and spend $20k - $25k more for a TT. Retail is good.
2. drop a TT engine in your car for probably $17k net. Retail is not as good.
3. turbocharge or supercharge your car for $14k. Can be reversed.

Everybody seems to know what's "best" for you, but what's really best takes into account:
- those options,
- transaction costs,
- your budget,
- your goals,
- how much effort you have invested in your current car that you'd have to re-do in a new car,
- how solid your engine is, and
- the risks that the new car or engine will have issues of their own. (e.g. LAPD just sold a guy a TT engine for a conversion that was a lemon)

Is the stock 993 car ok for added power? Yes absolutely, to a limit. People are running 400+ hp without internal mods just fine. Tranny is no problem. There weren't all that many changes for the TT engine - see Frere's book and Streather's 993 Companion. N/A 993's are getting REALLY cheap, while TT's are holding high values, so this kind of modding is likely going to get more popular.

Originally Posted by jungleboy
This is the first time I've heard about the Protomotive ecu remap eliminating the 7th injector... is this true?
Yes. He's told me he's done quite a few. I've posted about this. TPC will deduct $1200 from the price, but the new injectors and tuning will eat up most of that.
Old 02-08-2008, 12:17 AM
banzai993
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

simple solution.. keep your C4S and buy a 993TT as well. Sell your house or boat or kid if necessary. Park them close together and hang a tarp between then and sleep underneath.

I had a 96 arena red 993TT10 years ago and loved the car.. but was not willing to work over the extra $20-$30K premium and bought a similar car in the NA variety.. same color / year but C4S and dig it.

it is ALL good brother. have fun and enjoy
Old 02-08-2008, 12:47 AM
jungleboy
Pro

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
Wow I never noticed how much negativity is out there about modding a 993. If you want to do it, do it. Your options are something like this:
1. sell your car and spend $20k - $25k more for a TT. Retail is good.
2. drop a TT engine in your car for probably $17k net. Retail is not as good.
3. turbocharge or supercharge your car for $14k. Can be reversed.

Everybody seems to know what's "best" for you, but what's really best takes into account:
- those options,
- transaction costs,
- your budget,
- your goals,
- how much effort you have invested in your current car that you'd have to re-do in a new car,
- how solid your engine is, and
- the risks that the new car or engine will have issues of their own. (e.g. LAPD just sold a guy a TT engine for a conversion that was a lemon)

Is the stock 993 car ok for added power? Yes absolutely, to a limit. People are running 400+ hp without internal mods just fine. Tranny is no problem. There weren't all that many changes for the TT engine - see Frere's book and Streather's 993 Companion. N/A 993's are getting REALLY cheap, while TT's are holding high values, so this kind of modding is likely going to get more popular.

Yes. He's told me he's done quite a few. I've posted about this. TPC will deduct $1200 from the price, but the new injectors and tuning will eat up most of that.
Thanks both of you for answering all the questions and the encouragement . I'll have to read more about the Protomotive tuning on the TPC kit. Meanwhile, I've been reading up on the 9m kits as well... what a great setup that would be. Ahh, so much you can do, soo little time and money.

Originally Posted by banzai993
simple solution.. keep your C4S and buy a 993TT as well. Sell your house or boat or kid if necessary. Park them close together and hang a tarp between then and sleep underneath.

I had a 96 arena red 993TT10 years ago and loved the car.. but was not willing to work over the extra $20-$30K premium and bought a similar car in the NA variety.. same color / year but C4S and dig it.

it is ALL good brother. have fun and enjoy
All these fantastic ideas banzai... sounds good to me. BTW, I guess you have the Arena Red/Cashmere C4s that I was looking for back in the day... she's a beaut!
Old 02-08-2008, 10:55 AM
Brett B
Advanced

Certainly want to keep the car... all the upgrades you mentioned will come one at a time. I think my immediate concern will be the suspension. PSS10s, as soon as the vendors get their hands on them and I can find a good price or maybe a good group buy. The TT idea was not just to get the look, but for the extra pwr. Again, not in any particular rush... I can foresee craving more hp as I get more seat time, especially when every run in the mill sports car these days seem to get close to or surpass the power output of the 993.
If you are pretty handy and enjoy the work involved with building/creating something unique then modding your current car can be quite rewarding. However, if you are not a DIY'er, and have to pay retail on parts and labor for all of your mods, the costs can get out of control very quickly thus killing all of the "fun" involved with the project. I have done mods to my car that I don't think I have seen on any other 993, if I wasn't able to do them myself I probably would have not gone this exact route since it would have been costly. If you think you will never sell your car, then do to it whatever makes you happy. Just realize that if the time comes when you need to sell it, it will be more difficult to sell then a comparable stock car unless you find just the right buyer.

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
Wow I never noticed how much negativity is out there about modding a 993.
I have noticed the same thing as well.
Old 02-08-2008, 11:06 AM
banzai993
Racer

Thanks both of you for answering all the questions and the encouragement . I'll have to read more about the Protomotive tuning on the TPC kit. Meanwhile, I've been reading up on the 9m kits as well... what a great setup that would be. Ahh, so much you can do, soo little time and money.

All these fantastic ideas banzai... sounds good to me. BTW, I guess you have the Arena Red/Cashmere C4s that I was looking for back in the day... she's a beaut!
I like it!.. and it looks like a turbo .. PS> if I had the budget and the garage space I would have 3 or 4 p-Cars
Attached Images  
Old 02-08-2008, 01:00 PM
Greg H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Without rereading this thread, I don't think people on this forum are anti-modding cars. In fact I would guess that the number of people that do not mod cars are a small minority. I think that when you are talking about Supercharging or doing engine swaps or turning your engine into 3.8 or 4Ls - and that all you are after is more power - (as opposed to meeting some other specific requirement) that people are correctly pointing out that it would be a better investment to buy a Turbo. But it is certainly your car and money and we all love reading about these mods. Do what makes you happy.

Greg H.
Old 02-08-2008, 04:34 PM
jungleboy
Pro

Originally Posted by Brett B
If you are pretty handy and enjoy the work involved with building/creating something unique then modding your current car can be quite rewarding. However, if you are not a DIY'er, and have to pay retail on parts and labor for all of your mods, the costs can get out of control very quickly thus killing all of the "fun" involved with the project. I have done mods to my car that I don't think I have seen on any other 993, if I wasn't able to do them myself I probably would have not gone this exact route since it would have been costly. If you think you will never sell your car, then do to it whatever makes you happy. Just realize that if the time comes when you need to sell it, it will be more difficult to sell then a comparable stock car unless you find just the right buyer.
Oh yeah, as much as I can pull it off, DIY will be the way to go. Not only due to budget constraints, but for the simple pleasure of growing with the car & learning everything about it.

Originally Posted by banzai993
I like it!.. and it looks like a turbo .. PS> if I had the budget and the garage space I would have 3 or 4 p-Cars
I know I know, what a wicked addiction it is! I love it!

Originally Posted by Greg H.
Without rereading this thread, I don't think people on this forum are anti-modding cars. In fact I would guess that the number of people that do not mod cars are a small minority. I think that when you are talking about Supercharging or doing engine swaps or turning your engine into 3.8 or 4Ls - and that all you are after is more power - (as opposed to meeting some other specific requirement) that people are correctly pointing out that it would be a better investment to buy a Turbo. But it is certainly your car and money and we all love reading about these mods. Do what makes you happy.

Greg H.
My pragmatic side definitely would lean towards buying a Turbo, but my much larger irrational side wants to stick with MY car and improve upon it. Go figure....
Old 02-11-2008, 10:06 PM
eloyex
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

She's my first! Can't give her up soo easily

I think I understand what probably needs to be done with the engine/intake & exhaust system etc. But, is there any other physical differences between the two? Beefed up drivetrain/transmission etc? Seems like there are a lot of similarities like the all wheel drive system, big reds, wheels, body work etc. Is it just a matter of moding the engine (turbo system) is what I am asking?

HI BROTHER .. !!
i understand your feeling very well, but follow the wise advise ..
want turbo plant, buy a turbo car ... do not mess with texas .. !!!
Old 02-12-2008, 09:57 AM
jungleboy
Pro

Originally Posted by eloyex
HI BROTHER .. !!
i understand your feeling very well, but follow the wise advise ..
want turbo plant, buy a turbo car ... do not mess with texas .. !!!
Thanks for the advice... and showin some texas pride I see? I am not a native but I can relate.

Quick Reply: C4S vs. Turbo