C4S vs. Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 02:13 PM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I assume you've read these threads:
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/404677-how-to-decide-tpc-supercharger-or-twin-turbo-conversion-detailed-analysis.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...c+supercharger
Old 01-28-2008, 02:15 PM
jungleboy
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The Brewmeister
There are some here on this board who have installed the TPC Supercharger. Would that be something
you would consider? The details of such an install are better left to those in the know...
Yeah, I've looked into the TPC option... been reading about it a lot on this forum as well. Seems like an ok option, but doesn't seem like a lot of people have jumped on it as an upgrade. One of the threads also mentioned something about adding a 7th injector to the throttle body (don't quote me on the specifics) or something... that just seems screwy... doesn't seem sound. Maybe it's working out for now, but I can't see that being good for the engine over time (even mixture of fuel/air and proper combustion throughout and all...)

Originally Posted by WHB Porsche
Yes. x1million. I'm sure Protomotive, Turbokraft, etc. are fine - but nobody with those resources can do what Porsche has done. Furthermore, think of ongoing maintenance and upgrades. You have a ton of choices to mod a 993TT engine - if you have a Protomotive TT engine you have one tuning source - Protomotive.
WHB put it best... it seems it would be best to stick with the Porsche formula, can't go wrong there (well...) and the upgrade/support options are going to be around... And, possibly even help retain better value on the car.
Old 01-28-2008, 02:29 PM
jungleboy
Pro

Originally Posted by WHB Porsche
Yes, I had already read those... very informative. Thank you... My original intention wasn't to figure out which after market mod to go with... pros/cons etc. But, to see if I could essentially convert my C4s into a tt and what that would entail...

I think from all the discussions soo far, it seems best just to do an engine swap if I am that adamant about sticking with the stock tt setup. But going back to my original concern - is the rest of the car up to the task of handling the newly added power?
Old 01-28-2008, 02:48 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Jungle Boy,

I believe that the rest of your C4S (suspension, drive components, transmission) are the same (although the trans may have diferent gear ratios). Here's another reason why dropping the turbo motor into the C4S is difficult... the clutch. You need a very beefy clutch for the turbo, and to make it reasonable for a normal human to operate it, Porsche uses a hydraulic power assist on the turbo clutch. Adding this to the C4S is a big deal.

Another point... a C4S with a really proper TT engine and conversion will never have the resale value of an original TT. I'm sorry to add... selling your baby seems like the only logical approach... even in this illogical 993 world of whackiness. Good luck.
Old 01-28-2008, 03:05 PM
friar93
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

whats even better, your stock C4S appears that it would sell at a premium to a stock 993tt(not straight $$-you'll still pay more for the tt- but C4S are moving up in collectability and driving a premium whereas 993tts appear to be flat or on a normal value curve) but as soon as you mod it you loose.

how often to you get to sell high and buy low at the same time?
Old 01-28-2008, 03:07 PM
jungleboy
Pro

Originally Posted by ca993twin
Jungle Boy,

I believe that the rest of your C4S (suspension, drive components, transmission) are the same (although the trans may have diferent gear ratios). Here's another reason why dropping the turbo motor into the C4S is difficult... the clutch. You need a very beefy clutch for the turbo, and to make it reasonable for a normal human to operate it, Porsche uses a hydraulic power assist on the turbo clutch. Adding this to the C4S is a big deal.
Thanks for the straight forward answers, really appreciate it... To keep the faint glimmer of hope going, would the RS clutch/flywheel setup not address that issue?

So, are the Technology wheels the only other difference besides the powertrain between the two cars. I thought there were more subtle variations between the two. Bear with me, I am just trying to expand my knowledge/understanding.
Old 01-28-2008, 03:20 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Modifying a perfectly good C4S seems like a horrible idea. Aren't there unique bumpers on a turbo, too? Net net, you'll never get near out of it compared to the $ you put in. Sell it and buy a TT.

If you love your current car so much, how adding something else that's just plain fast? Lotus Elise, Mits Evo, '02 up 996 with 325(?) HP...
Old 01-31-2008, 12:56 AM
T Rip
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How about a compromise - just add the factory aero kit to your C4S. It will look closer to a Turbo, but preserve the resale value. And you don't have all the big $$ for new maintenance headaches. Try PS2's to boost traction and you'll giggle all the way to the bank.

I debated the TT993 vs. C4S. Finding a clean ride with low miles and unique features made the choice a lot easier. But it takes a long time to find a nice ride when you're talking about a 10+ year old car.
Old 01-31-2008, 02:40 AM
jungleboy
Pro

My original intention wasn't to go straight into TT land. I am loving my car as is right now. But as I grow with it in the realms of driving and technical know how, I would like to upgrade it slowly and get it into the performance level of the turbo. As I keep researching more and more, seems like a reversible aftermarket turbo/sc mod is the way to go. I was hoping to stay in house Porsche, almost do a TT clone... but mann, no one likes that idea and don't seem to have explored it. I'll keep me eyes and ears open for some good ideas though...
Old 01-31-2008, 10:48 AM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

In the end, anything can be done if you have the pocketbook. This argument gets raised every couple of months in the 944 forum. Everyone eventually buys a 951 - except for one guy that built a turbo from a N/A 944. It is one neat car. So, if that's where you want to go - Go for it!
Old 01-31-2008, 12:12 PM
jungleboy
Pro

Originally Posted by MichelleJD
In the end, anything can be done if you have the pocketbook. This argument gets raised every couple of months in the 944 forum. Everyone eventually buys a 951 - except for one guy that built a turbo from a N/A 944. It is one neat car. So, if that's where you want to go - Go for it!
Thanks... we'll see what pans out. Hope your Arena Red search is going well...
Old 01-31-2008, 01:13 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MichelleJD
The difference is, there's not nearly as much at risk with a 944 donor vs. a pefectly good C4s.
Old 01-31-2008, 01:18 PM
Greg H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

I used to have a perfect C4S before I decided I had to have a Turbo. If were to do it over again I would probably supercharge the C4S even though it may not make sense financially.

Greg H.
Old 01-31-2008, 02:26 PM
kdurg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Why not spend the money on the car you already love and appreciate ? For $10k you could do a combination of modifications that will transform the way the car looks, accelerates and handles.

-RS Clutch, LWF
-New Suspension
-Regearing your box
-Slap a TT wing on the back
-Exhaust, Sport Cats

Use these options to keep your enthusiasm up with the 4S for a long long time. The $10k spent will be about 1/2 of what you would need to spend to either upgrade to a TT engine swap or get into a TT altogether.

Seems like a no brainer for anyone with a stock C4S and an itch for something new.
Old 01-31-2008, 03:56 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 318 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg H.
I used to have a perfect C4S before I decided I had to have a Turbo. If were to do it over again I would probably supercharge the C4S even though it may not make sense financially.

Greg H.
Inquiring minds want to know - wwwwhy?

TIA.

Quick Reply: C4S vs. Turbo