993 Forum 1995-1998

Refinishing speedline wheels

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 12:37 AM
pu911rsr
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Refinishing speedline wheels

Anyone know who can refinish the speedlines, any idea on cost.
Thanks,
Phil
Old 01-15-2008, 12:52 AM
avidtest
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oooh, I'm interested in this tread too. One of mine is loosing it's clear coat.
Old 01-15-2008, 01:11 AM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 210 Posts

I want to get my Targa wheels refinished too..
Old 01-15-2008, 02:04 AM
jim dorociak
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Are your rims bent? Do the centers need painted? Issues with your wheels? I have been refinishing/ selling Speedline wheels and parts. The cost obviously will depend on what exactly needs to be done to your set of wheels and your expectations of the results.
If you send me an email and pictures of your wheels I will try my best to quote a price. -- Jim
jdorociak@gmail.com
Old 01-15-2008, 03:31 AM
race.it
Instructor

does anybody know if you can still buy the parts for them and refurbish them yourself? Guess this would be the bolts and gaskets, I have seen some bolts with strange heads (not a normal hexagon) can you get these or do they have to be replaced by other parts.

would it be possible for somebody to detail what would be involved.

Is there anybody that does it this side of the pond?

thanks
Old 01-15-2008, 09:00 AM
North Coast Cab
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went to Motmotions.com and had them look at two wheels with decent rash. They wanted $300/ea to completely dissassemble, strip, tig weld and refinish.
Old 01-15-2008, 11:23 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by cytefx
does anybody know if you can still buy the parts for them and refurbish them yourself? Guess this would be the bolts and gaskets, I have seen some bolts with strange heads (not a normal hexagon) can you get these or do they have to be replaced by other parts...
The rubber and alum gaskets can be bought from FVD for around $250 per wheel. You probably can get by replacing just the rubber gasket, which is something like half that. Not sure about bolts. People often simply reuse them, despite the recommendation not to. (I mean, come on, 15 ft-lbs is not high stress for these bolts!).
Originally Posted by North Coast Cab
I went to Motmotions.com and had them look at two wheels with decent rash. They wanted $300/ea to completely dissassemble, strip, tig weld and refinish.
You can get it done for half that at Wheels America, if you have one near you. Sounds like you got hit with the Porsche Tax.

Last edited by TheOtherEric; 01-15-2008 at 03:39 PM.
Old 01-15-2008, 02:47 PM
bdf
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a set stripped of chrome & refinished last year by http://www.wheelcollision.com/

IIRC, it was about $1,100 and came out great.
Old 01-15-2008, 03:13 PM
jim dorociak
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

guys parts are available. go to FVD.de website look for wheels, then look for spares parts, then sit down. depending on which set of Speedline wheels you have they have bolts that are 32mm long and most of the 3.6 Turbo Speedlines use a bolt that is 37mm long. Rubber gaskets are $145 each, crush rings are $120? Bolts are $6 ea, nuts are $6 ea - inner rear hoops are $511 each, outer rim halves are $250 each then you still have to disassemble inspect and reassemble the wheels.

Some of the shops that will also restore wheels, just do that - just another set of wheels to work on.
They might assemble using air wrenches and cause damage plus they are not usually torqued to the right specifications, I have seen wheels assembled with the crush ring and rubber gasket left out, which makes that wheel 1/4" narrower than before.

Buyer beware.

If none of this makes sense, then you should consider buying new Speedline wheels -- oh I heard there were no more 993 RS wheels available, but there are some 3.6 Turbo Speedline wheels being made again. Do a search on Rennlist for Speedline wheels most of this has been covered before but I suspect it needs to be covered again.

Wheels can be straightened, but it is hard to find a reputable shop that is capable of straightening these wheels. If a big pot hole or curb is hit not only does it damage that outer rim half, but the impact bends the centers and usually the outer hoop as well. Expect to spend $200-300 per wheel to tune that wheel depending on how bad it is - sometimes the rim halves can not be saved. This is not to refinish the wheels, but merely to straighten.
And lets not forget the famous "Speedline for Porsche" is lost upon the first polish because most shops will not take the time to preserve this important identification.

Jim
Old 01-15-2008, 03:14 PM
Sooner
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

When I had my speedlines, I had one refinished at Skip's wheel works. He's a local (to Portland) small shop that does a lot of porsche & other high end wheels. I think it was around $200 for one wheel. I was very happy with the results.

Here's a link: http://www.skipswheelworks.com/
Old 01-15-2008, 05:16 PM
avidtest
Racer

Regarding my one wheel that could use refinishing; the only real problem is that the clear coat (plastic?) coating is peeling off in one area. There is no curb rash. And I have reproduction "Speedline for Porsche" stickers. :-)

Quick Reply: Refinishing speedline wheels