Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

OT Crosspost Interview with Randy Leffingwell: noted Porsche author and photographer

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 07:15 PM
993-C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT Crosspost Interview with Randy Leffingwell: noted Porsche author and photographer

Hi everyone. I'm a fairly new member here to Rennlist (only a couple of months now), but I've been a Porsche owner since 2000. I recently started a blog about my experience with Porsche and my 993 (I'm on a sabatical and trying to kill time) :-) and wanted to share something with the RL community. If this isn't the right spot to do so, just point me in the right direction.

Anyway, I received a great book for Christmas this year on Porsche. The book is called the Porsche 911: History of the Legendary Sports Car by Randy Leffingwell (I'm sure some of you have read it or own it, but it was new to me). I enjoyed it so much I reached out to the author and he and I began a dialogue. Long story short, he agreed to do an interveiw for my blog. I have no affiliation to Randy, just liked his book. (as a disclaimer, if you do go on my blog and click through to Amazon, I do have an affiliation with them).

I'm not sure if it is appropriate to post the whole interview here, so for right now, I'll just post a link to it on my blog at http://993c4s.com/wordpress/?p=23

If it makes more sense for me to post the interview here, just let me know.

Thanks,

John
Old 01-13-2008, 07:42 PM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Did I read that right - Randy has never owned a Porsche? Wow! I don't believe I could contain myself, what with so much familiarity with the marque and access to the top leadership.
Old 01-13-2008, 08:36 PM
993-C4S
Burning Brakes

Hey Ed,

Ok, I can take the hint (especially when applied with a sledgehammer)

I still liked his book.

John
Old 01-13-2008, 09:24 PM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Oh, I meant no disrespect. I have two of his 911 books, plus a tractor book of his as well. Delightful, entertaining, well-researched. It's just that it's hard to imagine someone with such an affinity for a subject not to want one.

Shucks, I've been on cars.com looking at Gallardos the past hour, and I'm ready to hock the house for one!
Old 01-13-2008, 09:31 PM
993-C4S
Burning Brakes

Ed,

No offense/dis-respect taken. While I too was surprised that he didn't own the brand he wrote so much about, it's not that surprising when you think of all the other subjects he writes about. If he were to own one of each, at a minimum he would need: A lighthouse, numerous tractors, many porsches, corvettes, mustangs, harleys, hotwheels and wine.

Actually, reading through it, it's not a bad list of things to own.

Bottom line, he was/is a nice guy who was very open to an unsolicited email from a "fan".

Lambos are fun, but I'd take a new 997 Turbo first. I don't fit in the Lambo.
Old 01-13-2008, 09:58 PM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Yeah, Randy'd need lots o' book royalties to fund a list of toys that long.

I made the mistake of sitting in a Superleggera down at a dealership in Orlando. A relatively reliable piece of Italian art. I could do that.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:42 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Amazon lists his book that you mentioned for $98. The other day I was in Waldenbooks and bought it on sale for $7.50, and that is not a misprint. If you have a Waldenbooks in your area, you might want to go pick up a copy of the best 911 book that I have ever seen.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:46 PM
993-C4S
Burning Brakes

Wow! $98?? I can't imagine that. I searched all of amazon and if we're talking the same book:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/076...SIN=0760320926

I came up with $30.00. However, that's still 4x the price you got at Waldens. Great deal!!

John

Quick Reply: OT Crosspost Interview with Randy Leffingwell: noted Porsche author and photographer