993 Forum 1995-1998

Power Steering pump housing leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 12:45 AM
airkulr
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Power Steering pump housing leak

New to this site and love what I see! Apparently on my 95 Carrera the camshaft sprocket seal that drives the power steering belt is slightly leaking. Is it possible to replace that seal and o-ring with the engine in the car. I have confirmed that it is engine oil that is seeping out. Discovered this while doing a major maintenance on the engine. Also noticed that the belt itself had quite a bit of slack or deflection. Any ideas?
Old 01-13-2008, 04:40 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

If you are confident that the motor oil is passing the right front intake cam seal .... and not the intake valve cover weeping down into the back side of the PS pump bracket, you are in for some fun.
Robin made this post regarding PS belt replacement; open it to see the PET 6 illustration.
I took a look at my VRAM motor sitting on a dolly, and to get at that seal, there are 5 bolts on the PS belt cover, allowing access to remove the belt [ DO NOT LOOSEN THE CAM GEAR BOLT WITHOUT correctly securing the gear with the SPECIAL TOOL ]. Remove the gear & belt, and then 4 rear mounted allan headed bolts to drop the pump. That opens access to remove the bracket mounting bolts, exposing the seal.
Is there room to do this in car?? IMHO, it would be a trick of heroic proportions - so I hope your oil is coming from the valve cover.

Quick Reply: Power Steering pump housing leak