Sponsored by:

OK to Unbelt my PS Pump?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 01:27 PM
black ice
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default OK to Unbelt my PS Pump?

I have a 95. The PO replaced the rack about a year ago but really got ripped off (actually, I guess it's me that got ripped off) - it's already leaking. I was filling the reservoir every 3K miles but now that the boots have deteriorated, it's even more often.

I'd like to replace the rack but would like to wait about six months (more than 10K miles for me). This way I can do a tire change, front shock swap, rack swap and alignment all at once. So two questions.

1) Will this create any other problems? The rack is already toast but I don't want to screw up the pump.
2) How bad is parking lot steering without PS?

Thanks.
Old 05-06-2007, 01:36 PM
Paul M
POACB
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know if it will cause any problems or do any damage, but the car will be undriveable. The steering will be really, really, really heavy - and not just at parking speeds. It's not like steering a non-power assisted car, you actually have to fight against the pressure of all the fluid that's in the rack too.
Old 05-06-2007, 05:02 PM
ColoradoMark
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Couldn't you drain the rack (or woldn't it drain itself becasue of the leaks)?
Old 05-06-2007, 05:49 PM
black ice
Three Wheelin'

Yeah ColoradoMark, that's what I was thinking - that it would just run out. I wanted to pull the belt off because it makes this terrible "sqeeeeeeeeeeeel" every time you go around a corner.

Paul, have you had an experience with this? Frankly I don't know how the fool thing works...
Old 05-06-2007, 08:15 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

This will not directly answer the question .... but give a better idea of how a porsche rack functions : rack rebuild . It is similar to, but is not a 993 rack.
On many PS rack and pinion set ups, steering wheel input to the control valve ( and pinion) drives the rack rod left or right via both the mechanical link ( helical pinion on the rack rod teeth) and power assist as the control hydraulic valve ( spool valve) regulates the hydraulic flow: this spool valve is self centered by a torsion bar( spring) .... which is key to distinguishing it from a purely manual rack & pinion.
I have not seen inside a 993 unit, but suspect that without hydraulic pressure, it would feel like mush due to the spool valve.... otherwise, why would guys throw good $$$ after a mechanical RS rack for track use .... when it is all too easy to cut the PS belt .
But, as noted, I have not opened a 993 PS rack to actually know ...
Old 05-06-2007, 08:48 PM
Paul M
POACB
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by black ice
Yeah ColoradoMark, that's what I was thinking - that it would just run out. I wanted to pull the belt off because it makes this terrible "sqeeeeeeeeeeeel" every time you go around a corner.

Paul, have you had an experience with this? Frankly I don't know how the fool thing works...
I had a power steering pump seize on me in an old 2.8 Ford Capri. I almost crashed.
Old 05-06-2007, 08:48 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You can pull the belt off, but like others said it will be almost impossible to drive the car without power steering.

I actually replaced my power steering belt without dropping the ening and without removing the cam shaft gear. Don't ask me how, I would never do that again, took me about 6 hours.
Old 05-06-2007, 08:58 PM
Paul M
POACB
Rennlist Member

Where exactly is the power steering pump, belt and drive on a 993? I've been in the engine compartment hundreds of times, and I see the reservoir and hydraulic lines, but never noticed the pump...?
Old 05-06-2007, 09:15 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

its below all that on the front right side of the motor.
Old 05-06-2007, 09:51 PM
black ice
Three Wheelin'

Argh, guess I'm springing for a new rack sooner than I anticipated....
And then there's the hassle of taking off that belt.
Old 05-07-2007, 06:08 AM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul M
Where exactly is the power steering pump, belt and drive on a 993? I've been in the engine compartment hundreds of times, and I see the reservoir and hydraulic lines, but never noticed the pump...?
Right around the clutch slave cylinder... driven off the right hand camshaft. A PITA if you ask me. I will change the belt when the engine is out... hopefully this week.

Work is the curse of middle classes.... and keeps me from finishing projects started a long time ago.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:01 AM
Lawrence_P
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Throw the clutch in and turn the motor off while you are driving and you'll see if you like it.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:54 AM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Lawrence_P
Throw the clutch in and turn the motor off while you are driving and you'll see if you like it.
Good idea!

Removing that belt is a pain even with the engine out. I replaced it when I did my clutch on the advice of a friend... and good advice it was. I would NOT want to do it with the engine in place. Eek.

Good luck and sorry for the bad luck on the rack.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:01 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 128 Posts

There was a Rennlister a while back that claimed that it was a simple matter of draining the system and cutting the belt. As I recall, he actually ultimately stripped out all of the components to save weight and blocked off the openings where the tubing entered the rack.

With a bit of searching, someone might be able to find that previous thread. I have to admit, I was really skeptical. I really would do my homework before attempting anything related to steering!
Old 05-07-2007, 12:12 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Just replace the rack now, is it really worth waiting and possibly wrecking your 993 due to deferred repairs?

And the rack has nothing to do with shocks & tires so you won't be saving on labor for that work by combining the repairs.

ZP44

Quick Reply: OK to Unbelt my PS Pump?