Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

I'm an idiot, I'm an idiot, I'm an idiot ....

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 10:42 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by AOW162435
Patrick,
They look great. Would you say that the finish has a slight 'smokey' look? I've always thought my 18" twists look too much like the silver of my car.

Andreas
No, not smokey at all. My pictures might show that, but I wasn't using a very good camera. If you want, I can take some more pics. The refinisher said it was the same color/finish as the Mercedes SL65's wheels. If that is any reference point for you.
Old 01-13-2008, 12:58 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,057 Likes on 578 Posts

PJ do you live in HP or UP?

just in case- I wanted to apologize to all the residents because I'm always cruising around in there in low gears with the revs really high...sorry!
Old 01-13-2008, 02:57 AM
Nuff
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 96C4S
i rashed mine up after a week of having them back from being re-done. First time i felt like crying in a while.
EXACTLY!!
Old 01-13-2008, 03:02 AM
Nuff
Racer

Friend of mine has a lift in his garage. He parks his Boxster on the lift and his Lexus (everyday driver) under it. One particularly cold morning, he starts his car and leaves the door open while he gets something. Gets back in the car and puts it in reverse. As he's closing the door, it catches on a box or something. He gets out to move the box ... but forgets to put the car in Park. Since it was cold and the Lexus was idling high, it starts backing out of the garage and pins him against the left rear post of the lift. As his gonads are getting crushed by the door, the front door hinges start to give and the car eventually gets free and takes off out of his garage. He has enough sense to dive in (head first) and push on the brakes just as he slams into a tree.
Old 01-13-2008, 08:27 AM
Davies
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by richardew
Mea culpa #3
Yesterday I went into the garage, putzed around a bit and then I got into my car and backed out of the garage. Oops. Forgot to open the garage door!
LOL - That wins some type of shiny prize in my book!

Reminds me of the time a friend was pushing his 356 to put the tire shine on the dry part of the tire - to make his detailing job perfect. Opened the driver's door, pulled backwards, caught the open door on the support pole...And, well, you know the rest.
Old 01-13-2008, 09:43 AM
Marlon
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LOL! Did you get the reel set up yet???

Originally Posted by AOW162435
A-ha! So that's the real story! You told me that the scrapes happened when Hurley Haywood was driving a demo 993 at Daytona and had a slight shunt with a curb in the paddock. I never quite understood how you came to own the wheel.

j/k It's doing fine in my shop.

Andreas
Old 01-13-2008, 04:29 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,033 Likes on 464 Posts

What a great thread. We've all been there at some time or another. Last spring, I drove my girlfriend to the Honda dealer to pick up her new car. As we pulled into the lot I noticed "her" salesman along with some other witnesses in waiting, all eyes on the P-car of course! As I pulled into the nearest parking stall, the car stopped BEFORE I touched the brakes, complete with a slight but painful scrape, I hadn't noticed the small concrete curb at the end of the stall! To make things worse, the front bumper had managed to hook the concrete, requiring some assistance to become unstuck! Damage: minimal. Humiliation: priceless! These little scrapes and scratches make the car yours and at least bring with them a story.
Cheers, Tim.
Old 01-13-2008, 07:47 PM
Nuff
Racer

Originally Posted by timothymoffat
What a great thread. We've all been there at some time or another. Last spring, I drove my girlfriend to the Honda dealer to pick up her new car. As we pulled into the lot I noticed "her" salesman along with some other witnesses in waiting, all eyes on the P-car of course! As I pulled into the nearest parking stall, the car stopped BEFORE I touched the brakes, complete with a slight but painful scrape, I hadn't noticed the small concrete curb at the end of the stall! To make things worse, the front bumper had managed to hook the concrete, requiring some assistance to become unstuck! Damage: minimal. Humiliation: priceless! These little scrapes and scratches make the car yours and at least bring with them a story.
Cheers, Tim.
Nothing worse than doing something stupid in front of an audience! Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-13-2008, 07:59 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
PJ do you live in HP or UP?

just in case- I wanted to apologize to all the residents because I'm always cruising around in there in low gears with the revs really high...sorry!
No apology needed, it is music to my ears. I live in University Park. My office is at Knox/Henderson, so we are close to each other.
Old 01-13-2008, 10:35 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 863 Likes on 438 Posts

Originally Posted by Nuff

Idiot, idiot, idiot, idiot ....
No... just Human, human, normal.

Who hasn't done this or something much worse here?

I was trying to line my 993 battery up with my wife's Jaguar battery in the garage to get a jump once, and I took the emerg brake off my 993 to move it back just a bit when all of a sudden it starts REALLY moving back much too fast and the driver door which was open got stuck in the side of my garage's drywall. I could have shot myself in the head! I thought my door was toast, but these doors are REALLY tough and it didn't do much damage at all. Like... nothing really.

Cheers,
Steve R
Old 01-13-2008, 10:57 PM
Crimson Nape Racing
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Griot's Garage silver paint is a perfect match. I know this because a certain person I live with who shall remain nameless (so I don't embarrass my wife) hit the curb hard enough to tear up the sidewall of the tire and scrap the snot out of the wheel. After several days of sanding and a little body filler, the wheel looks good as new and matches the others perfectly. This was on her BMW, but the wheels are the same color as the factory Porsche wheels.
Old 01-14-2008, 12:09 PM
Denise993
Pro

Many years ago I borrowed a friend's truck to haul something . It's got these HUGE tires. I'm 5'9" and I have to crawl into it in the most un-ladylike way possible.

So, I get my job done and like a good borrower, I stop at the gas station to fill it up... but it's been a while since I've driven stick and I forgot to put it in gear and I forget to put the emergency break on...

Yes... as I'm filling up, it starts floating away... I'm totally panic-stricken that it's about to hit another car in this busy station. I'm trying to put the nozzel back and grab the passenger side door.. which is locked... fortunately, some nice man sees all of this and jumps in and hits the brakes...

I thank him profusely and he replies "Pretty big truck for a little lady..."

Nice...
Old 01-16-2008, 02:37 AM
Nuff
Racer

Originally Posted by Denise993
Many years ago I borrowed a friend's truck to haul something . It's got these HUGE tires. I'm 5'9" and I have to crawl into it in the most un-ladylike way possible.

So, I get my job done and like a good borrower, I stop at the gas station to fill it up... but it's been a while since I've driven stick and I forgot to put it in gear and I forget to put the emergency break on...

Yes... as I'm filling up, it starts floating away... I'm totally panic-stricken that it's about to hit another car in this busy station. I'm trying to put the nozzel back and grab the passenger side door.. which is locked... fortunately, some nice man sees all of this and jumps in and hits the brakes...

I thank him profusely and he replies "Pretty big truck for a little lady..."

Nice...
Thanks for sharing.

Did I mention the time when I was parking at the BART station? There was a spot next to a wall and I figured I'd park close to the wall so no one would ding my car. Front quarter panel scraped - 8 inch scratch. Plus I got a door ding anyway.

Quick Reply: I'm an idiot, I'm an idiot, I'm an idiot ....