Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

No-drilling race seat install - post your "recipe"

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 01:28 PM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Recaro SPG XLs (all photos coming this weekend... phase I should be complete tonight with my steering wheel install)
Old 01-15-2008, 01:28 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Jsala...how did you mount that bar? Not quite tracking with you (no pun intended).

Here's what I did: Link to Recaro Sport Toplines with Schroth 6 pt sub mounts (drilled).

I would have loved to just have a bar under the seat and mount the subs to that, but short of welding and such, I couldn't find one that would work with mine. I think many seats have clearance probs with the BK sub mount. I think the GT3 seats work well with them, but personally I didn't want those, as I needed access to the back seats.

FWIW, don't underestimate the need for the sub belts to be at the right angles. HMS Motorsports has a great guide about installing harnesses, as well as some videos and tests they have done. The subs end up with about a 1300 lb load in a 35 mph crash, if I recall correctly (I might have those 2 numbers wrong, but I remember it was WAY more than I originally was taught, i.e., the subs are not load bearing and just keep the harness properly positioned).

Finally, I do feel your pain for drilling. I have a cab, so I had to drill for the DAS rollbar. It kept me off the track for about 6 months or so until I finally drilled it. Now I haven't looked back. I did hesitate again on the subs, but finally figured safety is key. I used to skydive competitively and have learned if there are safety measures available, use them properly. Of course, I am a little hypocritical here in that I have a cab, not a coupe, but I'm ok with that risk/reward ratio for me personally.
Old 01-21-2008, 02:22 PM
jsalamunovich
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put the sub-belt bar on top of the slider and beneath the side brackets so that the bolts that hold the front of the brackets to the slider go through the sub bar and hold it in place (i.e., put bolt up through slider, then through sub bar, then through side bracket).
Old 01-21-2008, 06:16 PM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jsalamunovich
I put the sub-belt bar on top of the slider and beneath the side brackets so that the bolts that hold the front of the brackets to the slider go through the sub bar and hold it in place (i.e., put bolt up through slider, then through sub bar, then through side bracket).

IIUC, your side brackets will not sit flat on the sliders. Isn't that a problem?
Old 01-22-2008, 02:00 PM
jsalamunovich
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took a look and I was misstaken. I didn't put the sub bar between the sliders and the side brackets. I actually put the sub bar on top of the side bracket so that the bolt goes up through the slider, then throush the side bracket and then through the sub bar. That way everything sits flat.
Old 01-25-2008, 04:06 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Any pics, Jsala?

Quick Reply: No-drilling race seat install - post your "recipe"