Sponsored by: DashLynx

No-drilling race seat install - post your "recipe"

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 05:03 PM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default No-drilling race seat install - post your "recipe"

I'd like to move from stock seats, and factory belts to a fixed-back racing seat with BOTH factory belts and 6-points, without doing any drilling.

Trolling the archives I get lost in the myriad of seat, slider, side bracket, belt mounts, and sub belt bar options. It doesn't seem to be a straightforward swap. If you have done it successfully on a 993, can you post your combination of parts, incl seat type?

thanks!
Old 01-11-2008, 05:51 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

You can't properly (for club racing specs) install harnesses without drilling the inside tunnel and sub belt mounts.

To some avoid drilling, you may be able to mount the inside harness to the inside seat mount bracket instead of the tunnel, but it isn't the best solution. There isn't a good solution for sub mounts without drilling.

I felt the same way as you a long time ago and once you drill the first hole the rest are really easy. You can even make them so they aren't very visible if you place them correctly.

Good luck.

-Skip
Old 01-11-2008, 06:32 PM
007DT
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by swftiii
You can't properly (for club racing specs) install harnesses without drilling the inside tunnel and sub belt mounts.

To some avoid drilling, you may be able to mount the inside harness to the inside seat mount bracket instead of the tunnel, but it isn't the best solution. There isn't a good solution for sub mounts without drilling.

I felt the same way as you a long time ago and once you drill the first hole the rest are really easy. You can even make them so they aren't very visible if you place them correctly.

Good luck.

-Skip
+1

I just did this a couple weeks ago. The drilling is only required for the inboard belt. (Besides the Sub Belt) I pulled my carpet back and you can easily cover it up like it wasn't there....
Old 01-11-2008, 06:44 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Dave how are all the projects going? I look forward to hearing how your track events go...

-Skip
Old 01-11-2008, 06:59 PM
007DT
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

Dave how are all the projects going? I look forward to hearing how your track events go...

-Skip
GREAT Just can't find any wheels

We'll see how well I put it together next weekend @ Road Atlanta.
Old 01-11-2008, 07:18 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

I got my wheels at Wheel Enhancement. They have many in stock and really know our cars and the right fitments. Once I pick up my 993 NB, I'll be order mine from them again.

-Skip
Old 01-11-2008, 07:41 PM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

I just installed seats and a 6-point harness. We drilled the floor pan for the subs, but attached the tunnel side anchor to the seat base with a Brey Krause anchor. In retrospect, it would have been better to drill the tunnel for the inside anchor. When I finally do the short shift kit, I'll drill the tunnel at that time. When safety is concerned.. I don't want to half-*** anything.
Old 01-11-2008, 08:30 PM
North Coast Cab
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Assuming DE work here. It really can't be done without at least drilling the tunnel which is hardly noticeable and not seen from under the car. There is nowhere to mount the inner lap mount.

Outward lap belt- stock seatbelt mount
Inward lap mount - BK adapter to bolt through tunnell (you can also buy a used set of rear seatbelt receivers and install here so you can still use 3pt belts if desired)
5-pt - Buy BK sub mount
6-pt - Run each leg to rear seat mouning locations
Harnesses - rear seatbelt belt locations (harness bar required)

Do not buy a wide seat or the inner mount will be very difficult. I just did this install with SRD's and it was very difficult given their width.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:09 AM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

... once you drill the first hole the rest are really easy.

LOL...This reminds me of a western movie...once you shoot your first man, the rest are easy...
Old 01-14-2008, 10:11 AM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by North Coast Cab

There is nowhere to mount the inner lap mount.

Outward lap belt- stock seatbelt mount
Inward lap mount - BK adapter to bolt through tunnell (you can also buy a used set of rear seatbelt receivers and install here so you can still use 3pt belts if desired)
5-pt - Buy BK sub mount
6-pt - Run each leg to rear seat mouning locations
Harnesses - rear seatbelt belt locations (harness bar required)

Why is it that there is nowhere to mount the inner lap belt? Isn't it this way on the stock seats??

For 6-pts, would the BK sub mount not work, as well?

thanks for your responses, guys!
Old 01-14-2008, 10:15 AM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ninjabones
...but attached the tunnel side anchor to the seat base with a Brey Krause anchor. In retrospect, it would have been better to drill the tunnel for the inside anchor. When I finally do the short shift kit, I'll drill the tunnel at that time. When safety is concerned.. I don't want to half-*** anything.
Is this the R-9005 anchor? Why is it not as good as drilling the tunnel? Is it as safe as the stock seatbelt setup? I mean, why do you refer to it as half-***?

PS, I am thinking this route for DE only, not club race.
Old 01-14-2008, 07:44 PM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

...bump...
Old 01-14-2008, 08:06 PM
jsalamunovich
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a set-up that required no drilling. Caveat: I only use it for DE (no club racing).

I have a Recaro Pole Position mounted to Brey-Kraus seat brackets on Recaro sliders (you do have to do some drilling on the sliders so that the bolt holes on the brackets will match up with the sliders) and the Recaro sliders bolt into the existing holes in the floor.

BK makes a seat bracket with a mounting point for a stock 3-point belt receiver. Use that for the tunnel side and mount both a receiver and a BK lap belt fitting on the same bolt. BK makes the fitting precisely for this application and includes the bolt with it. This set-up lets you use your stock belt driving to the track and then when you get there you just clip the inboard lap belt to the BK filling.

On the outboard side you use the other half of the BK kit and it bolts to the bottom of the stock belt at the floor. Once again, the BK kit comes with the necessary bolt (the bolt that's already there holding the stock belt is too short).

For the sub-belt, use a Brey-Kraus sub-belt bar bolted between the slider and the brackets at the front end of the brackets. Don't mount the sub-belt bar at the rear of the brakets or attach the sub-belt to anything behind you because then your won't maintain the right angle on the belt (it's supposed to be pretty close to vertical from the mounting point to the hole in the seat bottom).

This whole set-up may not be strong enough for club racing but it's at least as strong as the stock three-point set-up that I'd otherwise be using so I don't see how there's a down-side to using it over the stock set-up for DE events.
Old 01-14-2008, 09:15 PM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Here's my setup. Drilled pan for subs. Outside lap harness can mount easily to stock seatbelt anchor with BK adapters (however, I have a separate eyebolt drilled here. Inside/tunnel harness mounts to seat base via BK adaptor. Stock seat belt is mounted to Recaro side mount. Hope the picture is helpful.
Attached Images  
Old 01-15-2008, 01:04 PM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

thanks guys, that's helpful. Ninjabones, I assume you are using a Recaro seat as well?

Quick Reply: No-drilling race seat install - post your "recipe"