993 Forum 1995-1998

Top End for Newbies

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 08:45 PM
993James993
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Top End for Newbies

Once again I am asking the gurus to share their knowledge.

I've read more and more about top end rebuilds on Rennlist recently and have been concerned about the appearant oil consumption of my '95 with 114K miles.

To establish an accurate record of my oil usage I topped off the oil level and noted the milage. It was a half quart from being full 300 or so miles after an oil change. 200 miles later the car had used the half quart of oil that I added. To make matters worse the oil level guage would no longer raise to the 3 O'Clock position.

Luckily I posted a question about this and Garth S pointed out that any oil over a certain level will disappear rapidly. (It's best to read Garth's post as he says it much better than I can: https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/402023-how-much-effect-does-ambient-temperature-have-when-you-check-your-oil.html )

By the way, I haven't looked yet, but I am wondering if my air filter that was installed 500 miles ago will have any oil on it.

So here are my newbie questions:

What are ALL of the signs that you need a top end rebuild?

I am assuming oil consumption and fouled plugs. Are there any others? Any performance issues?

What are the signs that you don't need one?

If you suspect you need a top end, what are the items to check? For example, would oil consumption prompt you to check the plugs?

Finally, what is the downside if you keep driving? Are you risking additional damage to the engine?

As always, thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge and experience!
Old 01-10-2008, 10:28 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 993James993
Once again I am asking the gurus to share their knowledge.

I've read more and more about top end rebuilds on Rennlist recently and have been concerned about the appearant oil consumption of my '95 with 114K miles.

To establish an accurate record of my oil usage I topped off the oil level and noted the milage. It was a half quart from being full 300 or so miles after an oil change. 200 miles later the car had used the half quart of oil that I added. To make matters worse the oil level guage would no longer raise to the 3 O'Clock position.

Luckily I posted a question about this and Garth S pointed out that any oil over a certain level will disappear rapidly. (It's best to read Garth's post as he says it much better than I can: https://rennlist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=402023 )

By the way, I haven't looked yet, but I am wondering if my air filter that was installed 500 miles ago will have any oil on it.

So here are my newbie questions:

What are ALL of the signs that you need a top end rebuild?

I am assuming oil consumption and fouled plugs. Are there any others? Any performance issues?

What are the signs that you don't need one?

If you suspect you need a top end, what are the items to check? For example, would oil consumption prompt you to check the plugs?

Finally, what is the downside if you keep driving? Are you risking additional damage to the engine?

As always, thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge and experience!
These are all the questions I went through with Jerry at EPE today. Steve Weiner also hs several posts on this board which address this topic. As I understand it, oil consumption is the key. If you are burning too much (and there are no leaks) you have a valve guide issue. (The missing oil is going somewhere, and that somewhere is that it is being combusted after it leaks through the guides.

I asked what would happen if I don't address it. That is, whether something catastrophic could happen to the engine. I'm told that is unlikely, but eventually plugs will foul, CEL/SAI issues arise etc. which all could lead to an even more costly fix-- or worse-- having to take care of the issue(s) at a time when you don't want to part with the car for 2-3 weeks (like when the spring/summer finally arrives here in New England).
Old 01-10-2008, 10:55 PM
coltj
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rome,

Jerry did my top end 3 years ago along with some other "while-you're-in-there" stuff. He does good work. I'm very happy with the results. Good luck.
Old 01-11-2008, 09:54 AM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I asked what would happen if I don't address it. That is, whether something catastrophic could happen to the engine. I'm told that is unlikely, but eventually plugs will foul, CEL/SAI issues arise etc. which all could lead to an even more costly fix
I posted before--and reiterate now--has anyone ever had this happen? Not just the CEL, but actual engine damage due to high oil consumption.
Old 01-11-2008, 12:27 PM
993James993
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I have a questions for the wrenches on here who actually work on these cars for a living. Once you open the engine, do you ever feel that a top end was not needed after all? If so do you stop or is it past the point of no return?
Old 01-11-2008, 01:06 PM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

A little bit excessive oil burn doesn't necessarily mean a need for a top end rebuild. You would think a competent mechanic would find several other more serious symptoms before recommending that they tear into your engine. Has your car passed an emissions test recently or has any of the many warning or CEL lights remained on? You might see, if your car smokes excessively or have any oil leakage issues? If left ignored, it probably wouldn't be catastrophic however you just couldn't get it passed through the state's emissions tests and hence licensed.
Old 01-11-2008, 06:30 PM
FLYT993
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by 993James993
I have a questions for the wrenches on here who actually work on these cars for a living. Once you open the engine, do you ever feel that a top end was not needed after all? If so do you stop or is it past the point of no return?

Excellent question James...excellent! Gurus, where art thou?

Quick Reply: Top End for Newbies