Sponsored by: DashLynx

Where to buy a 993?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 05:59 PM
993-C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought mine from Willhoit. It's www.willhoitenterprises.com

Mike charges top dollar, but his cars are damn close to perfect. At least that's the rational I keep using to convince myself I didn't pay too much.

In fact, he's got a nice 96 Turbo that he just emailed me pics on... hmm wonder if I can rationalize another one...
Old 01-08-2008, 07:39 PM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by woody-77
Hello all,

I am beginning the process of looking for a 993 to replace the 996 I sold 6 or so months ago. Does anyone have any suggestions or links to classifieds or dealers who specialize in Porsches?

I have looked through the Rennlist classifieds, autotrader and have found an air cooled used Porsche dealer in Houston TX but this is really all I have found.

Also any further suggestions on buying a 993 would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you to all for the help.

Mods, if this thread is in the wrong place please feel free to move...wasn't sure of where to put it.
Interested in a 1995 C2 6 Speed? I found a Turbo and am contemplating selling my C2. I may keep it if I get the Turbo regardless. Contact me at jason@hightechlocksmiths.com if you are interested. I have no idea what your looking for, but my car may be of interest to you..... maybe not.....
Old 01-09-2008, 12:11 AM
woody-77
Racer

Thank you all for the responses. To answer a previous post, which I should have wrote, I am looking for a coupe, red or black, interior color does not matter much. Car will be an occasional driver, 2-3 times a week as I use my truck for business purposes.

I am in the beginning phases of the search, I need to familiarize myself with the 993 and drive a few of them to make an informative choice in the car I buy as I have only owned 996's and a Cayenne.

I will keep reading the 993 section, great info here!
Old 01-09-2008, 01:05 AM
jhale
Pro

Good work doing your research. I spent months researching and trying to learn everything I could about the 993. This is definitely the best spot to learn about p-cars.

I may have a '95 black on black <50K miles that I am entertaining parting with this Spring. I thought I would never sell this car but it spends too much of it's time in the garage during the winter and now with 2 boys under 3.5 yrs I don't have the time to enjoy it.

Fellow RL'ers, don't let me do it!
Old 01-09-2008, 11:24 AM
justin993
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jdistefa
Add these guys to your list too:

http://holtmotorsports.com/

+1
Old 01-09-2008, 12:11 PM
dhicks
Drifting

Default Links for hunting and buying

http://www.rallystuff.com/pcar_sources.html

This is a great link and has sooooo many places you will be tired of looking at great cars by the time you get to the end.....I think it came from RallyJohn but cant remember.......
Old 01-09-2008, 02:37 PM
woody-77
Racer

Originally Posted by dhicks

This is a great link and has sooooo many places you will be tired of looking at great cars by the time you get to the end.....I think it came from RallyJohn but cant remember.......
I have been looking at all of the links...now I almost have too many choices!

Thank you again to everyone for the help, the amount of extremely nice cars out there is very encouraging!
Old 01-09-2008, 03:03 PM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't absolutely rule out Victory - Robert occasionally stumbles upon good cars, too. (I got lucky on mine.) You just have to cut through the sales malarkey and do extra due diligence to make sure that the car you're interested in is OK. Maybe this is more trouble than it's worth to you, with so many other top notch dealers with unsullied reputations out there.
Old 01-10-2008, 11:13 AM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 560 Likes on 294 Posts

David,
Boy, that car looks good....

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 01-10-2008, 11:17 AM
dhicks
Drifting

Hi Bob
You should know, you sold it to me....however, it has had many hours of loving care and attention with a Porter Cable and various polishes and waxes.....now that it is not a daily driver it stays in that condition more often.

Happy new year to you

David
Old 01-10-2008, 11:36 AM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 560 Likes on 294 Posts

Hi Bob
You should know, you sold it to me....however, it has had many hours of loving care and attention with a Porter Cable and various polishes and waxes.....now that it is not a daily driver it stays in that condition more often.

Happy new year to you

David
i'm glad you're still enjoying it. I still drive mine as a daily driver - over 150k miles on it and, when clean, it still looks and runs perfect. You coming down to Parade this year in Charlotte? you should bring it down, I'd love to see it in person. We're considering having a big party for all our customers that come to Parade. So far, just an idea, but we'll see....

Woody - take your time and find the right car. It's out there. if you take care of these cars, they will reward you with years of fun and pride of ownership. David's car was wonderful when he bought it, but he brought it up to "better than perfect" as can be seen by his pictures/avatar. If you keep up with maintanence, they're pretty trouble free comparative to other sports cars. Find one you like, get a PPI, and evaluate what's needed vs. what you want. don't necessarily limit yourself to low miles, but if it has higher miles, make sure that the services are up to date. Again, with 150k on mine, all I've done in 6years of ownership is scheduled maintenance and fixing minor accessory problems (radio, window switches, horn). Oh, and mine is a convertible, so the top needed to be replaced. That's it in the past 70k miles.

And by all means, have fun. None of us need these cars, we buy them for enjoyment. Make sure you're search is enjoyable too. If you feel uncomfortable AT ALL in the buying process, walk away. More will be out there.
Old 01-10-2008, 12:34 PM
drivingmydream
Advanced

I've also heard bad things about Victory. I bought a polar silver 993 2 weeks ago from a guy in Atlanta. He had just sold his Cayenne Turbo to a fellow in Texas who stated that he had to return a car he'd bought at Victory because it was junk. I'm new at this game and am also dealing with the learning curve...........

BTW, my new car (and first P-car) is a
Polar Silver/Black 1996 993 Coupe w/tiptronic auto. 66,800 miles, all original except for Blaupunkt MP35. It has had several owners and was leased at least once but has a clean carfax but surprisingly few service documents. I'm taking it today for a thorough once over.
I have a friend who owns the Porsche dealer in town and another friend that owns a high end shop that works on only Porsche, BMW, Benz, audi. I'm not sure who to let service my car. Porsche will give me a car to drive but the other place is much closer to my home. Any thoughts as to where to take it? Thanks.
Old 01-10-2008, 01:54 PM
woody-77
Racer

Originally Posted by drivingmydream
I've also heard bad things about Victory. I bought a polar silver 993 2 weeks ago from a guy in Atlanta. He had just sold his Cayenne Turbo to a fellow in Texas who stated that he had to return a car he'd bought at Victory because it was junk. I'm new at this game and am also dealing with the learning curve...........

BTW, my new car (and first P-car) is a
Polar Silver/Black 1996 993 Coupe w/tiptronic auto. 66,800 miles, all original except for Blaupunkt MP35. It has had several owners and was leased at least once but has a clean carfax but surprisingly few service documents. I'm taking it today for a thorough once over.
I have a friend who owns the Porsche dealer in town and another friend that owns a high end shop that works on only Porsche, BMW, Benz, audi. I'm not sure who to let service my car. Porsche will give me a car to drive but the other place is much closer to my home. Any thoughts as to where to take it? Thanks.
I have always taken my p-cars to an independent mechanic, Pat Williams racing in Memphis, reason being, they were cheaper and did better work than the dealer. Although it is convenient to have a loaner car but many of the indi shops have top notch mechanics who will get you in and out in a day or two.
Old 01-10-2008, 03:09 PM
ventoGT
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by drivingmydream
I'm not sure who to let service my car. Porsche will give me a car to drive but the other place is much closer to my home. Any thoughts as to where to take it? Thanks.
I'd find a reputable independent. Most dealer techs don't have the slightest clue what to do with an Air cooled car. That, and the $100/hour labor and book rates on stuff...
Old 01-10-2008, 03:20 PM
gripet
Advanced

Woody, be sure and check out Isringhausen Porsche in Springfield, Missouri. Jeff Coleman is the guy there and he will ship your p-car anywhere. I got a 07 GT3 from him.

Quick Reply: Where to buy a 993?