Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much effect does ambient temperature have when you check your oil?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 01:02 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default oil level

This thread has been really helpful for me, as well. I thought my quantity guage had stopped working, because the oil levels were fine on the dipstick.

It's interesting; over at the BMW motorcycle site (MOA) new owners worry about oil levels in the sight glasses. Here, it's the quantity guages.

I was never overly fussed about the 993's oil levels, because the temperatures were always fine, and with 11 point something litres in there, you have a huge safety margin for lubrication.

Rinty

Last edited by Rinty; 10-11-2008 at 07:56 PM.
Old 10-11-2008, 01:17 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,047 Likes on 472 Posts

I've owned my 95 for almost three years and more than any other, this thread has put my mind to ease. The oil level gauge is what gets people I think. When it doesn't move, we assume it needs oil. In reality, it's more than likely found that sweet spot as I've never had mine go below half the stick. Now I've got to find that spot on my 97!
Old 10-11-2008, 03:18 PM
henkinc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Reply to Johzev - I mean drive at 3000 rpm, which of course requires revving beyond 3000 when upsshifting. I have no idea if this helsp consumption for sure. I just started this and found my SAI code reading disappeared (thank god) but in addition my oil consumptionm MAY be diminishing also. I ususaly get 1000 mi/qt, but perhaps better now. This high-revving practice seems to work in general but may be needed only for cars with some valve guide wear, i.e. those getting 1000 mi/qt. It seems bizarre not to be able to cruise at 2500 rpm in a modern car, but there it is.
Old 10-11-2008, 07:43 PM
shamrock
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by timothymoffat
I've owned my 95 for almost three years and more than any other, this thread has put my mind to ease. The oil level gauge is what gets people I think. When it doesn't move, we assume it needs oil. In reality, it's more than likely found that sweet spot as I've never had mine go below half the stick. Now I've got to find that spot on my 97!
I've found my oil level gauge to be frustrating .. It doesn't work below half way up the oil dip twisty ...
This thread might help
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/459196-is-there-a-way-of-re-calibrating-the-oil-level-gauge.html

It gives details on how to adjust your oil level sensor so it's still active below that 'half way sweet spot'
Old 10-11-2008, 07:59 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

^^^Thanks Shamrock!
Old 10-11-2008, 08:03 PM
shamrock
Racer

^^^Thanks Shamrock!
I'd like to take credit , but it's thanks to Cabrio993 for this lil nugget of info!

I'm working on ordering the sensor gasket , once it arrives , I'll be seeing plenty more twitching from my needle!!!!
Old 10-11-2008, 08:46 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Actually, i liked the DIY for this. Step 3, beer break etc. I think all DIY's should have beer break rating. Although if there's too many breaks, things could get ugly!
Old 10-12-2008, 09:49 AM
shamrock
Racer

Actually, i liked the DIY for this. Step 3, beer break etc. I think all DIY's should have beer break rating. Although if there's too many breaks, things could get ugly!

I think the point cab was trying to make was that it was a pretty easy job .... Not that it won't stop me ******* the bolts , tearing the gasket ,braking the float and having half a liter of oil running across my drive .
.. But it won't matter at that stage , cos I'll be lyin in the gutter without a care in the world , with my empty beer cans for friends

Quick Reply: How much effect does ambient temperature have when you check your oil?