Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering improvements.... Versus a 997GT3RS

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 06:22 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

The EVO tie rods have a monoball on the inner end instead of the rubber coupler found on the RS and regular 993's. These function just like the 930 tie-rods used to upgrade every '69-'89 911,..... No additional NVH.

Although Porsche does not offer the inner EVO pieces separately and one has to buy the whole thing to get those inners, its an elegant and VERY durable solution.

I've done quite a few of these and the difference in steering precision and response is amazing.
Old 01-05-2008, 11:00 PM
Marlon
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Steve - any street goodness going with a non-PS rack along with your suggestion??? Or is that a track-mod? I thought I read somewhere that the no-assist racks were hard to get now?

mar

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
The EVO tie rods have a monoball on the inner end instead of the rubber coupler found on the RS and regular 993's. These function just like the 930 tie-rods used to upgrade every '69-'89 911,..... No additional NVH.

Although Porsche does not offer the inner EVO pieces separately and one has to buy the whole thing to get those inners, its an elegant and VERY durable solution.

I've done quite a few of these and the difference in steering precision and response is amazing.
Old 01-06-2008, 01:35 AM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Coleman,

Nothing against the steering of the GT3RS, but try out a Cayman on the same roads and tell us what you think.

Not saying anything about power, chasis rigidity, grip or any other attributes, just compare the steering for us please.

BTW, great friend to loan you a RS for a few hours. The best I could do was a regular GT3 for half an hour.

CP
Old 01-06-2008, 04:08 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Marlon
Steve - any street goodness going with a non-PS rack along with your suggestion??? Or is that a track-mod? I thought I read somewhere that the no-assist racks were hard to get now?

mar
I've not tried to buy the non-assist 964 RS rack in many years as we never use them. The 993 PS (RS & EVO) rack works very well with the right hardware.

These run $ 1250 and one needs to call the dealer to see if they are available.
Old 01-06-2008, 06:40 AM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah
I've never had the suspension of a 993 apart, so I probably don't know what I'm talking about -- but is there any way to make those vibration isolators out of urethane instead of rubber, like you've done with the control arm bushings?
The outer tie rod end ( not pictured) threads into the hex of the standard 993inner tie rod, shown on the far left of the pic: that 'hex' female fitting is mounted in rubber, which appears to be vulcanized and bonded into the barrel ( maybe it is only bonded to the 'nut', and a roll crimp holds it inside the barrel ?). The bonded rubber provides the vibration isolation ... and potential movement in question. The right side shows a typical ball joint that threads into the rack, and provides all the motion required - including the ability to rotate the barrel to make toe adjustments ( a more common approach is to have a left & right hand threaded turnbuckle to join inner and outer components).

I suggested welding to fix the steel hex to the rim of the barrel ( on the left as shown) ...... for I would not want to be the guy trying to dig that rubber out - it looks to be ..... formidable

The EVO tie rods mentioned would be the more elegant solution vs welding a bridge on the outboard end.
Steve W - do you have part numbers and ~ $$ for these parts??
Attached Images  

Last edited by Garth S; 01-06-2008 at 07:06 AM.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:28 PM
airiscool
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems

Excellent thread going on here!

Steve, could you please provide us with more information about these EVO tie rod for the 964/993 cars? Are they a direct bolt-in with the standard PS rack? Approx cost for the parts? Can you supply them?

It seems to me that these EVO ends with the urethane control arm bushings would really tighten up the front of the car without creating too much NVH for street use.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:57 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 579 Likes on 398 Posts

You have to change the uprights and at least the outer ends.
These parts

I forgot who posted this earlier comparison, stock top, RS/EVO bottom w/ monoball inner

Chris Walrad posted this one
Stock top, RS outer/inner bottom
Old 01-08-2008, 12:27 PM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Garth S
- replace or shim the two rubber rack mounts with delrin/urethane
Interesting point. You read about solidly mounted steering racks more and more on newer cars. On my old STI, the rack was mounted in rubber and installing poly instead really reduced the vagueness. Later, the factory took out the rubber entirely and later STI racks are solid mounted.

I only see one part number for the rubber 993 rack mounts: 964.347.137.07 Surprising there was no "RS" version. Maybe on the 993 the rubber needs to be there for some reason?
Old 01-08-2008, 04:45 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 102 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by RallyJon
Interesting point. You read about solidly mounted steering racks more and more on newer cars. On my old STI, the rack was mounted in rubber and installing poly instead really reduced the vagueness. Later, the factory took out the rubber entirely and later STI racks are solid mounted.

I only see one part number for the rubber 993 rack mounts: 964.347.137.07 Surprising there was no "RS" version. Maybe on the 993 the rubber needs to be there for some reason?
SHHHHHHH Jon, thats another project I am thinking of in urethane I bought new rack rubber isolators over a year ago and kinda put the project 'off' for a while. Not sure its possible..
Old 01-08-2008, 05:32 PM
Jack of Hearts
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very interesting stuff. Looking at the pix Bill V posted gives rise to this (dumb?) question: If you've lowered your car to the point you are flirting with bump steer, would switching to the RS tie rod ends ALONE help? They seem to have slightly different geometry.
Old 01-08-2008, 05:36 PM
Coleman
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 62 Posts

Check this for the bumpsteer issues- This EVO GT2 kit looks really nice..
Attached Images  
Old 01-08-2008, 08:51 PM
airiscool
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bill wrote
You have to change the uprights and at least the outer ends.
That is more work and money than I wish to invest in this experiment.

Who thinks that welding the inner rod-end rubber isolator would be an effective and safe proposition?

In my mind there is no doubt that this rubber unit has a seriously negative effect on steering feel. How many different 911 models have this "feature"?
Old 01-09-2008, 01:30 PM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I smell a group buy....
Old 01-09-2008, 01:35 PM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Coleman
Check this for the bumpsteer issues- This EVO GT2 kit looks really nice..

ps...would this be a fairly straightforward DIY... Heat the carriers/freeze bearings, drop in bearings, bolt up, and off to get an alignment?
Old 01-09-2008, 01:48 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul902
I smell a group buy....
Sign me up.

Quick Reply: Steering improvements.... Versus a 997GT3RS