993 Forum 1995-1998

Steering improvements.... Versus a 997GT3RS

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 01:26 AM
Coleman
Three Wheelin'

Received 114 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Steering improvements.... Versus a 997GT3RS

First off, I searched and read a fair amount of threads on this issue- Some tangentially addressed some thoughts but none really got to the meat of the matter-

Here's the issue- My friend has a 997GT3RS and I took it for a few hours in the parched canyons above Malibu and flogged it on the winding roads through the hills.. Needless to say, the car is insane.. the powerband and responsiveness of the car is nothing short of what the car is supposed to be..

I got back in my 993, and the first thing I noticed was the "lightness" of the steering; It seemed as if it took me 2 turns of the steering wheel to the GT3's 1 turn.. every motion in the wheel of the GT3 was transmitted to the action of the car, in the 993, the first 20% of the action on the wheel was lost in some black hole- maybe a bit went to body sway, maybe a bit went to brushing's but it felt far less then efficient energy transmission then compared to the 997-

I know it's not really fair to compare the geometry of a 12+ year newer car with ours, but what are the differences between the steering rack, geometry and front suspension components including rods and arms? Is there an RS rack with a closer ratio for turning? (less turns from lock to lock) Will the 993 GT2 bumpsteer kit help any? Or should I start to sell drugs to amass 170k for a 997 GT3.. I still cant get over the handling..

Coleman-
Old 01-05-2008, 02:41 AM
MrRoboto
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd like to know how to tighten up my front end as well...
Old 01-05-2008, 07:35 AM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

- install Chris's new urethane LCR bushings
- weld the female threaded part if the inner tie rod to the steel body ( it is internally rubber mounted).
- replace or shim the two rubber rack mounts with delrin/urethane, ..

That might snug things up a little ... not sure; however, one thing is certain - the 170k alternative would really tighten my wallet
Old 01-05-2008, 07:48 AM
Toga
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I read somewhere that the steering ratio of the 964 was closer than the one of our 993. Giving you less turns on the steering wheel for the same angle on the front wheels. Never found any confimation of that, but may be some body could confirm it?
Old 01-05-2008, 09:26 AM
visible23
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I seem to remember reading recently that lock-to-lock in the 993 RS was greater (more turns) than in the stock 993's. Something to do with stability and inputs at high speeds. Maybe a manual steering rack would help make things feel tighter. I know the RS America folks seem to like the feel as long as they aren't parallel parking!
Old 01-05-2008, 10:05 AM
Marlon
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe ditch the power steering rack and go with non-assisted???

Originally Posted by Coleman
First off, I searched and read a fair amount of threads on this issue- Some tangentially addressed some thoughts but none really got to the meat of the matter-

Here's the issue- My friend has a 997GT3RS and I took it for a few hours in the parched canyons above Malibu and flogged it on the winding roads through the hills.. Needless to say, the car is insane.. the powerband and responsiveness of the car is nothing short of what the car is supposed to be..

I got back in my 993, and the first thing I noticed was the "lightness" of the steering; It seemed as if it took me 2 turns of the steering wheel to the GT3's 1 turn.. every motion in the wheel of the GT3 was transmitted to the action of the car, in the 993, the first 20% of the action on the wheel was lost in some black hole- maybe a bit went to body sway, maybe a bit went to brushing's but it felt far less then efficient energy transmission then compared to the 997-

I know it's not really fair to compare the geometry of a 12+ year newer car with ours, but what are the differences between the steering rack, geometry and front suspension components including rods and arms? Is there an RS rack with a closer ratio for turning? (less turns from lock to lock) Will the 993 GT2 bumpsteer kit help any? Or should I start to sell drugs to amass 170k for a 997 GT3.. I still cant get over the handling..

Coleman-
Old 01-05-2008, 10:19 AM
clubsport1
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

996 rack definitely has less turns, doesn't feel any more responsive to me on the road compared to 993 & 964RS.
I get to drive a 964 CS with the unassisted rack from time to time on road n track and that definitely has much the same turning circle as the 993.

You can improve on the regular 993 set up,,,Porsche did ...The RS has different hub carriers and tie rod ends and to quote from the technical bulletin;
"On the RS, the force required for steering is somewhat higher than or the standard carrera 2 (993). This improves steering feedback in sporting use. The steering ratio is 18.5:1.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:36 AM
zicoramone
Aficionado
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know that feeling you are talking very well. You made an excellent description. When you drive a car like the GT3, other cars will give you the impression you are handling a boat. The Gt3 steering is mathematical. It's like riding a go cart, compared to an older 911 like the 993 or the 964. Obviously you can improve your 993 maneuverability, you can spend money in racing oriented parts. However, you will never get close to that "GT3" feeling you felt. Your mistake was to ride the RS. Now you're hooked. It's like cocaine...you shouldn't' try it. Sometimes we waste our time bashing the newer cars and don't realize they're working with significantly improved technology.
Old 01-05-2008, 01:47 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 348 Posts

Coleman-
Start by using 8.5x18 wheels w/ 235/35 x18 tires, then repve the rubber tie rod ends w. monoball or at least harder rubber ends, then use all monballs or at least harder rubber bushes. The stock 993 p/s rack is already the quickest of all the 964/993/993RS p/s racks
Old 01-05-2008, 03:51 PM
RDS928S
Rennlist Member

Received 677 Likes on 307 Posts

Who sells these front suspension bushings etc?

Thanks Rich
Old 01-05-2008, 04:33 PM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Chris Walrod sells for the control arms. See this thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/401383-964-993-control-arm-bushings.html
Old 01-05-2008, 04:43 PM
Coleman
Three Wheelin'

Received 114 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by WHB Porsche
Chris Walrod sells for the control arms. See this thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=401383

I just ordered mine!! Now I gotta get into the - rubber on the tie-rods!!

Coleman.
Old 01-05-2008, 04:50 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

I just ordered mine!! Now I gotta get into the - rubber on the tie-rods!!

Coleman.
I would love to address the compliancy of the inner tie rod vibration isolators. Obviously welding them would be both easy and effective. Maybe something in the middle? I have a few sets of those laying around the garage. Maybe its time to cut one in half and have a look at some sort of insert.
Old 01-05-2008, 05:26 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by chris walrod
I would love to address the compliancy of the inner tie rod vibration isolators. Obviously welding them would be both easy and effective. Maybe something in the middle? I have a few sets of those laying around the garage. Maybe its time to cut one in half and have a look at some sort of insert.
I've never had the suspension of a 993 apart, so I probably don't know what I'm talking about -- but is there any way to make those vibration isolators out of urethane instead of rubber, like you've done with the control arm bushings?
Old 01-05-2008, 05:59 PM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chris walrod
I would love to address the compliancy of the inner tie rod vibration isolators.
Wouldn't urethane ball-end bushings also reduce "play" in the tie rods?

Quick Reply: Steering improvements.... Versus a 997GT3RS