Sponsored by:

New subwoofer option.

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 10:05 PM
djimenez993tt
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New subwoofer option.

Hi everyone, long time ago I posted about how I was able to get "nice" bass out of my 993 without cutting into anything nor installing a subbox limiting our extremely small cabin.

first a bit of history, i had bought a set of MBquart 3 way speakers set consisting of an 8" woofer, 4" midrange and 1 1" tweeter. The woofer was installed directly to the door panel, mid attached directky to the speaker cover at an angle and the tweeter in the factory pod.

Things were great untill I blew both woofers. For the good part of almost 4 years I kept the OEM Becker, but the F&$# changer and soundstream amplifier quited on me, I was forced to upgrade and I decided to get an alpine Ipod specific stereo (nice BTW) and a boston acoustics GT40 50*4 amplifier. by this time I would hear my woofer complain every so often when I played dance music. well the rest is history... woofers died on me.

Enter a new set of SUBWOOFERS, pioneer makes a slimline 8" sub, we decided to give it a try. what can I say? WOW! deep rich bass, not feel it deep in my chest type of bass, but eneough to shake evreything inside the car and sound good doing it. My install now goes something like this:

Alpine Ipod stereo, integrated amp running rear OEM speakers (fader almost full front), non xover sub output to 2 channels of Boston's amp running pioneer slimline subs (it gives me the ability of adding or substracting sub 250hz bass directly from the stereo, as I'm using the amps xover) and Front line level output running the other 2 channles from the GT40 amp to MBquarts passive 3 way xover (not using woofer output, might sound better with a regular 2 way passive xover as it wont have a low and high cut to the mid driver).

And now some pics.

Last edited by djimenez993tt; 12-19-2014 at 10:25 PM.
Old 01-05-2008, 02:44 AM
MrRoboto
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Sweet! What's the depth of the pioneer subwoofers? I have a pair of A/D/S slimline subwoofers that might work...
Old 01-05-2008, 11:14 AM
djimenez993tt
Instructor

Default if I remember correctly...

2.5"? The installer faced 2 mayor obstacles, the sheer size of the magnet and motor structure on the pioneer sub and the fact that it might have a clearence problem with the glass mechanism. he solved it by trimming a bit of the sub's basket and pushing it forward.

I guess ADS's subs have smaller magnet structures, this was almost 7" wide!
Old 01-05-2008, 04:06 PM
MrRoboto
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

2.5" is pretty slim! I don't think the A/D/S subs i have are that slim. How much did those pioneer subs cost you?
Old 01-06-2008, 01:14 AM
djimenez993tt
Instructor

Default Hmmm

consider that labor is cheap and taxes are high for japanes products down here... I paid $250 for everything, I believe they were $200 for the pair, 20 for some cables and rest as labor.

You can get then in fleabay for about $60 but I guess is for just one piece.

david
Old 01-07-2008, 10:58 AM
ventoGT
Three Wheelin'

I had 2x JL 6W0 woofers behind the driver and passenger seats trimmed to match the carpet...they sounded AWESOME, especially in such a small space as the 993's cabin...
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: New subwoofer option.