Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

964 / 993 Control Arm Bushings

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 12:29 PM
rconnon
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got my bushings installed last week and over the weekend / this week put 2500 miles on them on a drive to california - all i can say is WOW - what a difference!!!

Thanks Alot Chris, fantastic upgrade to the front end.
Old 04-24-2008, 01:16 PM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by chris walrod

I will measure the durometer reading of the standard rubber bushings and report back.
Thank you..... Is there any way we can find out what the difference in the RS bushings are, it would be good to know where yours fit in the deflection scale - does anyone have any spare lying around
Old 04-24-2008, 04:19 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by TB993tt
Thank you..... Is there any way we can find out what the difference in the RS bushings are, it would be good to know where yours fit in the deflection scale - does anyone have any spare lying around
I dont know what that would be. I do understand the only differences between the RS arm and the standard one is the aft bushings, not so much the forward ones. Bill V has been doing research himself on the subject, maybe he'll chime in.

I will say Urethane will have a higher durometer reading than any rubber used for automotive control arm bushings.

These Urethane bushings read 95 durometer.
Old 04-24-2008, 04:22 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by RallyJon
You mean axial? So with stock bushings the A-arm is allowed to move left and right, but not forward and backward or up and down?

X being longitudinal, Y lateral and Z vertical. These are the only vehicle dynamic axis system I am used to using.

You are correct about the direction of potential movement with the standard bushings.
Old 04-25-2008, 08:31 PM
Father of 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

For those of you who have had a shop install Chris' bushings, how much did they charge?
Old 04-29-2008, 01:32 AM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did the bushings tonight, but haven't had a chance to drive the car -- it's pouring rain out, so I wouldn't get much from a test drive. They fit great.

A couple of pointers on the install:

- The hardest part is pounding out the stock bushing sleeves. Make sure you cut completely through the steel sleeve before attempting to pound them out. And have a BFH, a vice, and a good set of punches and chisels on hand. Reminds me of when I installed monoballs in the trailing arms of my old track 911.

- The control arms will fit on either side -- but they are specific to each side! You've got one on, and you suddenly realize that the ball joint bolt and caster eccentric want to bolt in from the top, instead of the bottom. Ask me how I know. (But then again, I'm a bonehead.) I'll post an update tomorrow when I get a chance to go for a spin.
Old 05-03-2008, 11:01 PM
hyphenf15
Pro

These bushings rock! Thanks Chris. The front end is tight again and very responsive. We also did struts, sways, and tie rods at the same time. What a difference. Thanks Chris - great product.
Old 05-05-2008, 11:57 AM
Jeff96-993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah
Did the bushings tonight, but haven't had a chance to drive the car -- it's pouring rain out, so I wouldn't get much from a test drive. They fit great.

A couple of pointers on the install:

- The hardest part is pounding out the stock bushing sleeves. Make sure you cut completely through the steel sleeve before attempting to pound them out. And have a BFH, a vice, and a good set of punches and chisels on hand. Reminds me of when I installed monoballs in the trailing arms of my old track 911.

- The control arms will fit on either side -- but they are specific to each side! You've got one on, and you suddenly realize that the ball joint bolt and caster eccentric want to bolt in from the top, instead of the bottom. Ask me how I know. (But then again, I'm a bonehead.) I'll post an update tomorrow when I get a chance to go for a spin.

Hey Noah, that's funny because I did the exact same thing... see my pg 9 post (#127)... item 6 covers it, caused mainly by lack of sleep (it was 2am when I was reassembling)
Old 05-05-2008, 12:52 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff96-993
Hey Noah, that's funny because I did the exact same thing... see my pg 9 post (#127)... item 6 covers it, caused mainly by lack of sleep (it was 2am when I was reassembling)
LOL, I don't have such a good reason...I was just hurrying, and didn't even think to check whether each arm is right or left handed.

BTW, I've driven the car a bunch since doing the bushings...they're great. No more high-speed steering wheel wiggle under braking, and the car's handling feels ever so slightly tighter and more responsive.
Old 05-05-2008, 01:14 PM
Cincy_Ron
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Noah
LOL, I don't have such a good reason...I was just hurrying, and didn't even think to check whether each arm is right or left handed.

BTW, I've driven the car a bunch since doing the bushings...they're great. No more high-speed steering wheel wiggle under braking, and the car's handling feels ever so slightly tighter and more responsive.
Noah, I'm glad to hear the bushing upgrade got rid of the high speed steering wiggle under braking. I have the same issue. I've got the bushings sitting here, I just need to bust a move and get them done!
Old 05-05-2008, 03:26 PM
CarreraX
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Cincy_Ron
Noah, I'm glad to hear the bushing upgrade got rid of the high speed steering wiggle under braking. I have the same issue. I've got the bushings sitting here, I just need to bust a move and get them done!
Ron, any of the next few saturdays works for me or you can fedex the arms up here and I will do them and send them back.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:41 PM
AM993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Father of 3
For those of you who have had a shop install Chris' bushings, how much did they charge?
My shop charged for 5 hours labor all-in. All I can say is wow. Not only the steering wheel wiggle under braking is gone (which is why I ordered the bushings in the first place), but the steering is now very tight and more responsive. This is a great mod'/improvement.
Old 05-14-2008, 12:12 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by AM993
My shop charged for 5 hours labor all-in. All I can say is wow. Not only the steering wheel wiggle under braking is gone (which is why I ordered the bushings in the first place), but the steering is now very tight and more responsive. This is a great mod'/improvement.
Great to hear the good results!
Old 05-14-2008, 12:49 AM
allill
Drifting

Chris,

Those bushings look fantastic!
Old 05-14-2008, 03:32 PM
jaholmes
Drifting

I am getting ready to do my install. But one question. Did anyone use an 11mm or 13mm hex key to get the a-arms off and on. It sounds like you just clamp it down and it won't spin when you torque them down, but what about getting them off. I wouldn't even know where to find those size hex keys.

Quick Reply: 964 / 993 Control Arm Bushings