Sponsored by:

TOOLS?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 01:01 PM
NOTCH
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TOOLS?

Is there a tool I can buy to remove the secondary air check valve? if so where can I get it?

Thanx Notch

97 Carrera C4S
Old 12-31-2007, 01:49 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

There are a few ways....if you search for SAI the amount of posts is staggering.

I use a crowsfoot wrench that I have ground to be thinner so it fits between the valve and the manifold. Be carefull in there, its easy to have the crowsfoot against something and, while you think you are just on a tight valve, you are pushing the side of something in. The check valve is usually pretty tight.

Buy a new valve and you can get the crowsfoot to fit from there. I think I used an old 1 1/8" and ground it until it fit perfectly.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 12-31-2007, 01:52 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think so. I looked at a number of tool suppliers and couldn't find one so I bought a cheapo 27MM crows foot on EBay and ground it down to fit. Even with that I couldn't get the #%&@# valve off and in fact bent a Craftsman wrench handle trying (with the help of a cheater bar). I finally ended up cutting the top off of the valve with my Dremel and using a 6 point socket with a 1/2" driver. Needless to say when I put the replacement in I only tightened it hand tight on the theory that it would be air tight and the attached hose would keep it from working itself loose.
Old 12-31-2007, 01:55 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Hmmm, I have taken off a number of them and have not had to resort to cutting the valve off but I guess I have been lucky. I totally agree with not tightening this valve down. I just replaced one with 12,000 miles on it and it was already corroded and almost failing.

Cheers,

Mike

Quick Reply: TOOLS?