Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: Becareful buying sight unseen

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 01:11 PM
SPIKES
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 44 Posts

i will only buy from the owner...period....have bought most of my cars unseen and have driven/flown up and driven back.....i have a knack and trust my "gut" after speaking to someone for a few minutes and it has not let me down so far
Old 12-28-2007, 01:56 PM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SPIKES
i will only buy from the owner...period....have bought most of my cars unseen and have driven/flown up and driven back.....i have a knack and trust my "gut" after speaking to someone for a few minutes and it has not let me down so far
I have to agree. I've met enough bs'rs to pick them out pretty quick. Usually a few key questions will tell you how much they really know about the car. If they have no records and haven't owned it long how much can they know? Their claims are obviously worthless. I did buy a car a few years back sight unseen (it was cheap so no big risk). The owner said it wasn't a rusty car. I ended up totally restoring it including replacing the floors, fenders, quarter panels and trunk floor. I think I broke even on it in the end so no loss. I'm smarter now.
Old 12-28-2007, 02:59 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Leander
My tiny mind is bending as it tries in vain to untangle what this means.
She got nasty!! Enough said.
Old 12-28-2007, 03:30 PM
dmw
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If anyone is willing to wade through all the posts on Pelican and early911sregistry.com, it is pretty interesting reading. Looks like both parties are going to turn it over to 3rd party mechanic for a ruling on "just how bad" the rust is.
Old 12-28-2007, 05:17 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

I read through all of the posts last night, both forums and see a trend of poor selling tactics by the seller. Others have come out of the woodwork with other shady details from previous sales.

Sounds as though the buyer did get a little emotional, hard not to. I know the early E's are getting good money, but a little surprised at how much they are fetching.

To me, the best solution would be to keep the car provided both agree to a partial refund, something that is fair to both sides that would make this car a worthy, solid car. Shipping it back to the seller would just tally up more non-value adding costs. With the recent bad press about the seller and this car, I doubt it would be easy for him to resell it irregardless of how nice the car really is. He certainly wont see $35K if resold.
Old 12-28-2007, 05:35 PM
Akerlie
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A little more than one year ago when i was looking for a 993 a guy in LA with an English accent had a 993 listed on Ebay.
I called him to get the details about the car, he stated that the car was in a immaculate condition and that he had the complete service record and receipts for for the services done.
I had my brother fly from Phoenix to LA to check out the car as everything sounded right.
The seller came to the hotel my brother was staying in to show him the car, long story short, the car was a mess, although the car was VERY dirty my brother could clearly see that some parts had been repainted and that the car was far away from being in the condition promised.
When my brother asked to see the service record the seller told him that it had been lost the night before and he would just send the papers when they would be found.
My brother gave him an offer 10K USD under the asking price which got the guy pretty mad
My brother and I are 99% sure that this is the same guy reoccurring.

Luckily i found the SY 993 (avatar) through Rennlist and the car was 100% as the seller had described it, my brother flew from Phoenix to Minneapolis and drove it back to Ph
Old 07-08-2010, 09:36 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 302 Likes on 247 Posts
Default Bad guy end's up in jail...

UPDATE !!!

Hello all.

I am back from my trial in York SC.
To make a long story short the guy that defrauded me : Marion Branham got 10 years in jail !!! he was offered 5 years if he could pay me back all of my money within 24 hours but his wife didn't so he is doing 10 years now.
I am happy, although 10 years is kind off much but at least he cannot defraud anyone else right now.

thanks,

Bas

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...an-member.html
Old 07-08-2010, 11:21 AM
Bouzoukikid
Instructor

WOW. 10 YEARS. That's a long time for $20,000. I wish our justice system was like yours (UK).

Mind you how much does it cost the tax payer to keep a crook behind bars for this long.

Hope you get some money out of him.

Last edited by Bouzoukikid; 07-08-2010 at 11:50 AM.
Old 07-08-2010, 01:31 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 144 Posts

You get less time for killing someone.....
Old 07-08-2010, 01:38 PM
biosurfer1
Racer

I get the feeling he didnt get 10 years for just this one infraction..my guess is its the multiple run in's with the law before it that contributed too

Quick Reply: OT: Becareful buying sight unseen