Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Saw a Boxster spoiler malfunction - should I care?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 01:32 AM
993C4Smontreal
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yup, you're a jerk!
Old 12-25-2007, 07:41 PM
midcont
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 29 Posts

boxster is a great car to drive, period.
Old 12-25-2007, 10:08 PM
Kcreager1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did not set up a poll on this one and have not actually tabulated the votes, but I can see that the Jerk store is in fact calling. If the thread was not posted in or around Christmas I might hear EXACTLY how a few folks feel.

I will say that more than one of the responses are laughably indignant. It is way off topic to liken this to a motorist stranded on the side of the road (whatever they drive) or to say that I am elitist and entitled when the fact is that the 993 is very old and not that expensive anymore. The fact is that almost anyone with a large, new, SUV paid more than most 993 NA's are worth today. And, although it may be hard to believe, I actually know someone who has a friend who owns a Boxster....

I did not make an effort to pace a Boxster and tell the owner that his spoiler was 1/2 up and 1/2 down and used related this in a thread asking about weather or not you consciously initiate a waive to Boxster owners – I really did not expect the venom that I have gotten.

I am well aware that Boxsters are ‘real’ Porsche’s. Legally blonde picked the correct car for that perky Blonde to represent the Porsche in that movie – and yes, I cheered every time it was on the screen…jeez!
Old 12-25-2007, 10:47 PM
Kcreager1
Racer

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
jeez your arm must get tired.

If I waved to every BMW and Mercedes, my arm would fall off in one afternoon drive.

No Quadcammer, go back and re-read all of the posts. You are an insensitive jerk unless you waive to everyone, all of the time (kinda like the flight attendandt..."bye now, ba bye, have a nice day". It must be mindless and endless - otherwise it is not sincere.

The funny thing is that the guy posting the note on who he waives to is much more elitist in his thinking than me. He waives only to cars with higher price tags. I like the idea of waiving to the cars older than yours (from one of the replies), it too requires a calculation - but it does not necessarily involve price tags...

Myself - I do not initiate waives to other drivers, I do notice each Porsche I encounter and always feel it is a little bit of sunshine to my day, regardless of what the model is. When I see a Boxster coming towards me it is always the same...."huh, is that a 996 or a Boxster....hard to tell since they look almost the same and lack personality....." but I eventually figure it out.

It is still hilarious that some of you associate the spoiler issue with people in distress...how do you get through a day? On another note, I am organizing a group of Porsche owner do-gooders who will travel through the city waiving to everyone they see, changing tires, and giving goup hugs....if that does not wierd out the people they encounter.....
Old 12-26-2007, 01:17 AM
gonz911
Pro

Your Post:

Hey -

I was on the road here in San Antonio and saw a boxster in the lane next to me with his rear (idiotic) spoiler up all the way on the passenger side and all the way down on the drivers side (looking even more silly than normal). This in itself is not a bad commentary. Okay, you've got that one.

My first (rennlister) reaction was to immediately speed up to try and get beside him to let him know that he had this issue. Yes, the right thing to do. It occured to me that if I cannot see my spoiler in the RV mirror this guy did not have a chance, and if my car had a similar issue it might go un-noticed for some time. That's right.

Alomst immediately I had second thoughts you draw your own conclusions at the end of your post and most people on this post concurbecause I have always hated those cars and think in general that they are nice for ladies who are young and unmarried many have drawn conclusions based on this nonsense of your very own remarks, yet right back at you but otherwise useless. Having second thoughts, I chose to ease back and let him go on about his merry way. Sure shows who you are fella

Now I ask, am I a jerk YESwho should welcome all p-cars with open arms or was I justified in my second (smug) reaction? Do you waive to the boxsters? Be honest.... Yup, most agree that you're a 'jerk'! Now, you made the commentary and asked ther question. Seems to me you invited it. Sometimes the best thing is admitting your own short comings, especially when you're asked and then people respond. Now let that be a lesson to you.

Old 12-26-2007, 01:43 AM
early_grayce
Burning Brakes

This topic is taking us away from the holiday spirit....
perhaps it should end
Old 12-26-2007, 02:21 AM
Cincy_Ron
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kcreager1
The funny thing is that the guy posting the note on who he waives to is much more elitist in his thinking than me. He waives only to cars with higher price tags. I like the idea of waiving to the cars older than yours (from one of the replies), it too requires a calculation - but it does not necessarily involve price tags...

Myself - I do not initiate waives to other drivers, I do notice each Porsche I encounter and always feel it is a little bit of sunshine to my day, regardless of what the model is. When I see a Boxster coming towards me it is always the same...."huh, is that a 996 or a Boxster....hard to tell since they look almost the same and lack personality....." but I eventually figure it out.

It is still hilarious that some of you associate the spoiler issue with people in distress...how do you get through a day? On another note, I am organizing a group of Porsche owner do-gooders who will travel through the city waiving to everyone they see, changing tires, and giving goup hugs....if that does not wierd out the people they encounter.....
Just an FYI, it's waves, not waives...

Oh, and group hugs, not goup. And weird, not wierd.

Bonus points for using "too" correctly though.

:-)
Old 12-26-2007, 02:56 AM
f8vr993
Rennlist Member

Guys and gals,
I go away for three days and this happens...
"DO THE RIGHT THINGY"
ENUF SAID!

In sprit of Christmas, come on...
Old 12-26-2007, 10:05 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Hey -

I was on the road here in San Antonio and saw a boxster in the lane next to me with his rear (idiotic) spoiler up all the way on the passenger side and all the way down on the drivers side (looking even more silly than normal).

My first (rennlister) reaction was to immediately speed up to try and get beside him to let him know that he had this issue. It occured to me that if I cannot see my spoiler in the RV mirror this guy did not have a chance, and if my car had a similar issue it might go un-noticed for some time.

Alomst immediately I had second thoughts because I have always hated those cars and think in general that they are nice for ladies who are young and unmarried but otherwise useless. Having second thoughts, I chose to ease back and let him go on about his merry way.

Now I ask, am I a jerk who should welcome all p-cars with open arms or was I justified in my second (smug) reaction? Do you waive to the boxsters? Be honest....

Thanks
I did not set up a poll on this one and have not actually tabulated the votes, but I can see that the Jerk store is in fact calling. If the thread was not posted in or around Christmas I might hear EXACTLY how a few folks feel.

I will say that more than one of the responses are laughably indignant. It is way off topic to liken this to a motorist stranded on the side of the road (whatever they drive) or to say that I am elitist and entitled when the fact is that the 993 is very old and not that expensive anymore. The fact is that almost anyone with a large, new, SUV paid more than most 993 NA's are worth today. And, although it may be hard to believe, I actually know someone who has a friend who owns a Boxster....

I did not make an effort to pace a Boxster and tell the owner that his spoiler was 1/2 up and 1/2 down and used related this in a thread asking about weather or not you consciously initiate a waive to Boxster owners – I really did not expect the venom that I have gotten.

I am well aware that Boxsters are ‘real’ Porsche’s. Legally blonde picked the correct car for that perky Blonde to represent the Porsche in that movie – and yes, I cheered every time it was on the screen…jeez!
No Quadcammer, go back and re-read all of the posts. You are an insensitive jerk unless you waive to everyone, all of the time (kinda like the flight attendandt..."bye now, ba bye, have a nice day". It must be mindless and endless - otherwise it is not sincere.

You started the thread, asked the board if people thought you were a jerk because of your smugness (your word) and received numerous replies, some of which you did not like because the answers clearly made you defensive. It seems like you found what you were looking for, so maybe it would be best to take your licks and move on before people's perceptions are further reinforced.

Merry Christmas to all!
Old 12-26-2007, 10:48 AM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by brucec59
When I see another Porsche, I get excited, especially if it is and older one, or i fit has obvious mods that inticate an "enthusiast" owner. But I also think that every Porsche driver is an enthusiast to some degree....
Exactly! In the NE, our local PCA runs a spring "Ramble". I love it! About 125 or so Porsches, all years and models. It's like being a kid in a candy store. I love ALL Porsche cars!
Old 12-26-2007, 10:52 AM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by FLYT993
Weak... Do what's right people....just do what's right.
Amen!

By the way, isn't the "Ignore List" a GREAT feature?
Old 12-26-2007, 04:31 PM
Kcreager1
Racer

Gonz911 -

I have to admit - that is a great post. It took time to go through the orignial post - nice job, the wrestling pic is a nice touch, very well done.
Old 12-26-2007, 04:41 PM
FLYT993
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Amfab
An interesting thing happened to me years ago. I was driving my 3.2 and there was a girl with a flat in a white convertible rabbit. I too had that feeling like I don’t want to scare anyone, but I decided to pull over anyway and help. She was happy I did and as I got her on her way, I said to her, “my sister has a white convertible rabbit too. and I would want someone safe to pull over and help her if she needed it.”

A month later, in a different state, my sister got a flat and a guy in a 944 pull over and changed it for her . . ..
Exactly. It's not about what you drive or don't drive, it's about who the "F" you ARE as a person.
Old 12-26-2007, 04:53 PM
gonz911
Pro

Gonz911 -

I have to admit - that is a great post. It took time to go through the orignial post - nice job, the wrestling pic is a nice touch, very well done.
Just having fun -- I couldn't resist, seriously. To be perfectly honest, I don't like Boxsters, nor it's hardtop brother. I've owned a heavily modded '78 911SC Euro and then downgraded to a 996. I dumped the latter real quick and changed marques to a 2002 M3 Cabrio (3 years ago) that I wasted $40k in mods. I just finished taking all the mods off of it and sold them. Every time I'd see a 993 I think about my mistake X 2 (last two cars). I hope to sell the car this Spring then either get a 993 and begin modding that, possibly a 993tt.
Old 12-26-2007, 05:43 PM
Kcreager1
Racer

I too covet the 993tt. However, I have 4 kids and therefore looming tuition bills. I can't think I will tt anytime soon unless I have a good surprise in the next few years. Good luck with your quest to get a tt or mod up a 993. Half the fun of this board to me is seeing what others do to thier cars....

Quick Reply: Saw a Boxster spoiler malfunction - should I care?