Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Saw a Boxster spoiler malfunction - should I care?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 12:52 PM
Manny Alban
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

A bunch of PCA friends were riding in my Suburban to go to lunch. About five of us, if I remember. We passed a 944 Turbo with the hood up on the side of the road. Did a u-turn, and helped push him to a gas station. I had some tools in the back from my last track event and within 15 minutes, we had his 944 running again (loose hose). As someone said, it's a brotherhood.

I was towing my 964 and had forgotten to latch the front trunk. A trucker pulled up and made a motion with his hand, and pointed to the back. I looked in my mirror and the front hood was up and thanks to the tire rack, wasn't going any further. Imagine if he had said "all Porsche owners are jerks, I won't tell him". Pay it forward.
Old 12-24-2007, 01:23 PM
mborkow
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you waive to the boxsters? Be honest....
that's too bad...i always wave to 911s as I am passing them in the fast lane :-)
unless you have a 993 TT or you supercharged your 993, the boxster S will take you every day of the week and 2x on sunday. nearly as much HP and torque (especially v MY1995), mid engine layout and 400 lbs lighter.
Old 12-24-2007, 01:32 PM
brucec59
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Lots of good comments on this thread. Let me just throw this in.

When I see another Porsche, I get excited, especially if it is and older one, or i fit has obvious mods that inticate an "enthusiast" owner. But I also think that every Porsche driver is an enthusiast to some degree.

So, if I see a Boxter, I assume - until shown otherwise - that the owner is like me, in that he loves Porsches, likes to see other Porsches on the road, and might even get a small kick out of seeing mine. I think if I were driving the Bad-winged Boxter, I'd appreciate a guy in a 911 telling me about my spoiler problem.
Old 12-24-2007, 01:35 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bobesser
Next you will be on about them being water cooled and thus not a "real" porsche.

Bob
And then he would have to include 962s as not real Porsches due to water cooling!
Old 12-24-2007, 01:37 PM
mborkow
Drifting

I see a Boxter, I assume - until shown otherwise - that the owner is like me, in that he loves Porsches, likes to see other Porsches on the road, and might even get a small kick out of seeing mine
the 993 is one of the most beautiful cars ever made. i stop and look at each and every one that i see on the street (how can you not!). but guys, porsche did not stop inovating in 1993 when they designed the 993. if you think a boxster s has nothing to offer, my guess is you have never driven one.
Old 12-24-2007, 04:00 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BTW, the 993 isn't aircooled, its oil cooled. Its got a radiator for crying out loud!
Old 12-24-2007, 04:15 PM
jnx
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by brucec59
Lots of good comments on this thread. Let me just throw this in.

When I see another Porsche, I get excited, especially if it is and older one, or i fit has obvious mods that inticate an "enthusiast" owner. But I also think that every Porsche driver is an enthusiast to some degree.

So, if I see a Boxter, I assume - until shown otherwise - that the owner is like me, in that he loves Porsches, likes to see other Porsches on the road, and might even get a small kick out of seeing mine. I think if I were driving the Bad-winged Boxter, I'd appreciate a guy in a 911 telling me about my spoiler problem.

Bruce, Very well said.
Old 12-24-2007, 04:15 PM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by texas911
Its got a radiator for crying out loud!
Nuh-uh, no it don't! Radiators are for stinkpot water-cooled wannabe Porsches. 993s have Oil Coolers.
Old 12-24-2007, 04:30 PM
mborkow
Drifting

Originally Posted by WHB Porsche
Nuh-uh, no it don't! Radiators are for stinkpot water-cooled wannabe Porsches.
you mean like the gt3?
Old 12-24-2007, 04:50 PM
Reimu
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always thought people over reacted when they talked about how 911 owners are ******** and scoff at everything else on the road. But what do I know, I'm just a young lowly 944 owner.

To you other guys, Merry Christmas.
Old 12-24-2007, 04:58 PM
grant911
Pro

Porsche is an enthusiast brand. A brotherhood in a way. A Porsche is a Porsche, I wave to all of them. I can't stand when people pull the snob card. Though I do notice I'm treated a lot better in the 996 rather than the 944 S and I hate that. I personally would have tried to help out the Boxster. I think they are cool little cars. Just my 2 cents. Jerk.

And aren't we all driving glorified VW's?
Old 12-24-2007, 05:02 PM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mborkow
you mean like the gt3?
The above was a joke. But if you would like to have a conversation about the GT3 and its aspirations we can.
Old 12-24-2007, 05:17 PM
Cincy_Ron
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aww, you guys are funny. I definitely got a laugh out of Kcreager1's post. Seriously, in my opinion the Boxster is a great car. If you haven't driven one you should. It's not a 993 but it's a lot closer in performance than you might think. I thought for sure that when I bought my 993 the Box would be up for sale. Instead I decided to keep it. It's low profile so you don't get any unwanted attention, handles great, inexpensive, I could go on...

I definitely wave at all P-cars though, doesn't matter which model. They're all great.

It does have to sit outside in the winter though. ;-)
Attached Images  

Last edited by Cincy_Ron; 12-24-2007 at 05:38 PM.
Old 12-24-2007, 05:34 PM
DocTock993
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

When I'm in my 993 I wave to all other Porsches. The impression I have is most older 911 will wave back, and other's will not. IIRC there has already been at least one thread on this topic. I think one of the conclusions had to do with "enthusiasts" vs. people who can afford to drive a "nice car".

I'm personally grateful to the Ford pickup owner who came up next to me (when I was in my Porsche) and told me my rear brake-lights were malfunctioning. I think it's called "common courtesy". So my vote is for: "jerk".
Old 12-24-2007, 06:06 PM
FLYT993
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 57 Posts

Weak. I think the type of car someone's driving should never stand in the way of doing the RIGHT thing. It's just common decency. I was driving in my 993 and saw a lady pulled over with a flat tire, in her Camry! I drove by, and thought "that's messed up". I was worried that if I pulled over, she might think I was some freako-weirdo and be very uncomfortable. We know the planet does not suffer from a dearth of sickos. Nevertheless, I have a wife and a daughter, and it just bothered me that this lady was out there by herself stranded with cars just zipping by. So I said "F" it, and exited the next offramp, turned around and got back on the freeway and pulled over behind her, telling myself, she'll have to refuse my assistance. And what do you know...she was elated that someone had stopped to help her, because she was completely at a loss of what to do. I changed her tire, and the gratitude she expressed was more than enough to make me realize I had done the right thing. If that was my wife, daughter, or mother, I hope there would be someone decent enough to lend her a hand if I'm not able to do it myself. Do what's right people....just do what's right.

Quick Reply: Saw a Boxster spoiler malfunction - should I care?