Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New ZR1

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 04:59 PM
melman911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, got my new CD mag in. In the spirit of friendship and i'll admit it...I like lots of different cars.......uhh I still don't see it with this car (ZR1) (being nice). For 40k they could have upgraded the interior. The article talks about a meeting with GM heads back in 04 and the question being tossed around..."if you can produce a Z06 for 60k what could you do for 100k ......uhhh I don't know.....maybe make a better interior on a car that is light and faster...uhh no add hp and weight with the same crap interior and end up on .01 faster than the 40k less Z06 you built several years ago. Ok. Quad is right about the leather dash but....SOS to me. And a 0-60 that is just .01 second off the 500 hp Z06? What's wrong with this picture? Honestly. Not trying to keep this thing going (this thread was about the new ZR1 for all you high jackers) but.......what's the point.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:34 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 111 Posts

I really like driving my 993, and think it is a work of art. I think the new C6 Corvette is much faster and a much better performing car for the money. It is a better looking car than previous Corvettes, but is not the classic that the 993 is. I'm encouraged that GM can make a car that achieves what the C6 does, and I would love to have one to take to the track to compare. A few years ago, I swapped my friend's C5 Z06 for a few sessions at Watkins Glen. Shooting through the climbing "S"s at about 30 mph faster in his car than in mine was humbling. Being caught in braking zones was heartwarming. I bet the new Z06 will really be a great track car. Porsche should bump their effort up a notch and lower their prices if they hope to remain competitive. If I were buying a track car now, I'd probably get a C6 just to see what they are like. But, I can't see myself selling my 993....yet
Old 12-29-2007, 02:33 AM
Leucadia
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the ZR1 really going to have a little clear window on the hood to see inside to the engine compartment? How Cheeesssyyy.... Thats reason enough NOT to buy it. No self respecting German engineer would ever do crap like that...
Old 12-29-2007, 04:18 AM
niche
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

No self respecting German engineer would ever do crap like that...
Didn't they do that on the R8?
Old 12-29-2007, 11:48 AM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 113 Posts
Default Would you care for Bacon. Or Egg, Sir?

Uhhh, I'll take both...

I am one of the biggest 911 (not just my 993) fans alive. I have been in many both on street and track since I was wee, and bought my first one at age 22. My 1997 C2 is, to my taste, spot on what a sports car should be - if not a bit porky.

10 years later, I still like nothing more than to read about, admire, wash, clean, track, and blast areound in 911's. I am infatuated with their history, design, performance and character.

That said, I still respect other killer cars out there. Among them, the C6 Z06 for example is a wonderful car, certainly in the context of its design. If someone wants obscene performace and capability on both street and track, with reasonably attractive styling, for a modest price, in a new car - not sure where else you'd go. Certainly not to Stuttgart. The ZR-1 will no doubt exceed those parameters, albeit at a price.

I would also suggest I'd much prefer to talk shop with a typical Z06/ZR1 buyer than the average guy who buys the latest and greatest from Porshe. Unless I want to talk taxes, estate planning or dentistry that is...

Maybe I'll just have to head out and check out a low mileage C6 Z06 to add to the stable...

Old 12-29-2007, 12:28 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 483 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Lane
I would also suggest I'd much prefer to talk shop with a typical Z06/ZR1 buyer than the average guy who buys the latest and greatest from Porshe. Unless I want to talk taxes, estate planning or dentistry that is...
LOL, too true!
Old 12-29-2007, 12:31 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 483 Likes on 256 Posts

I really like the Corvette, especially the performance value, and the sound at WOT. It just really bugs me that someone at Chevy thought that the current interior was 'good enough'. Every time I sit in one, I wonder if anyone at Chevy benchmarks? It doesn't have to be complex or expensive - hell they could put less stuff in the car, but please just give it decent quality materials and a clean design. If you can buy a base model A3 or A4 with great plastics (or a Golf for that matter), why can't Chevy do it for the Corvette?
Old 12-29-2007, 12:54 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

Originally Posted by Leucadia
Is the ZR1 really going to have a little clear window on the hood to see inside to the engine compartment? How Cheeesssyyy.... Thats reason enough NOT to buy it. No self respecting German engineer would ever do crap like that...
damn, all those cheesy ferraris
Old 12-29-2007, 04:12 PM
fb47243
Too Old To Remember My First Time
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jdistefa
I really like the Corvette, especially the performance value, and the sound at WOT. It just really bugs me that someone at Chevy thought that the current interior was 'good enough'. Every time I sit in one, I wonder if anyone at Chevy benchmarks? It doesn't have to be complex or expensive - hell they could put less stuff in the car, but please just give it decent quality materials and a clean design. If you can buy a base model A3 or A4 with great plastics (or a Golf for that matter), why can't Chevy do it for the Corvette?
Yeah the least they could do would be to make the drivers side seat bolster wear out after 35K miles.
Old 12-29-2007, 06:50 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Lane
So true. Here in LA, my friends and I agree that for an enthusiast car, BMW sadly has the lowest percentage of true enthusiast owners. Mostly they just want to move up from the Accord, get that propeller on the hood and bolt on the USC (or SMU in Texas) license frame before the hard plates even come in the mail.

But while later 996s and 997C2s are great cars, the majority of their owners seem give the BMWs a run for their money in terms of poser factor. The average owner seems to be as Matt describes and just wants to lease something "fast and expensive" that stands out from his buddies' AMGs and M6s. Probably his first and last Porsche before moving on the the next "latest and greatest."

The average "ex-military old guy" Vette owner is much more likely to understand what an air-cooled Porsche is all about.
Old 12-30-2007, 02:38 AM
96C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Carbon brakes standard equipment.

Quick Reply: New ZR1