Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New ZR1

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 01:50 PM
Harvey Yancey
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

At the end of the day we are all gearheads. My first car was a '77 Trans Am and then I did the Corvette ('73 454) and the Camaro (1984 Z28) thing. All the while the walls of my room were covered with Porsches. I still have a softspot in my heart for those cars. I am actually considering a new Camaro when they hit the street in the next year or so. If I can get 400HP and a 6-Speed for less than $35K ... sign me up. Then again I am considering the new BMW 135i too. It's nice to have choices.

BTW - We have a former Regional PCA President that went over to the Dark side and did the Corvette thing for a few years (he was actually their president for a while also) and now he is coming back. Not sure what that says exactly ... whether it's the people or the cars. Probably a little of both.

Merry Christmas everyone!
Old 12-24-2007, 04:15 PM
FLYT993
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by 96C4S
What do you guys think about the new corvette and would you trade your 993 for one.
Impressive numbers....but Subie's and Lancer's have impressive numbers too. Never would even consider trading my Black Forest Jewel for Detroit iron.
Old 12-24-2007, 04:17 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

Originally Posted by melman911
C'mon. They are pieces of s---! Give me a break.
the car isn't out yet, and you know its a piece of ****? No, it may not have the build quality or material quality of a brand new 997, but to say its a piece of **** is a bit of a stretch. Corvettes in general have always been pretty reliable.
Old 12-24-2007, 04:18 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by NOH20
The difference is the Porsche uses "REAL" leather. The Corvette uses crap leather.
Ah, real leather and crap leather. I see.

Then again, they did have to find a way to make a car that weighs less than a 997 turbo, but makes 140bhp more for $20k less.
Old 12-24-2007, 04:20 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by H.H.Chinn
which car would you think would be worth more in years to come?
who cares? If you wanted an investment, you should have bought Google shares during their IPO.

The value is in the enjoyment you receive from driving it.
Old 12-24-2007, 04:26 PM
SA Mike
Thank You
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quadcammer, youre not going to fing too many Covertte lovers here. I have to admit I almost bought a 07 Z06 before I bought my 07 997S and would have saved a lot of money. But there is something about feel of a Porsche that you do not get and will not ever get in a Vette.
Old 12-24-2007, 04:27 PM
early_grayce
Burning Brakes

Corvette vs. Porsche?

Please.....
They are too different to compare, and for the most part appeal to a completely different audience

Personally. there is no way I would ever be found in a Corvette. Ever.
Old 12-24-2007, 05:11 PM
jackb911
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 55 Posts

Personally. there is no way I would ever be found in a Corvette. Ever.
If it's any consolation, most Corvette enthusiasts wouldn't be caught dead in a Porsche, either. You ought to see what they say about us on their forums! Unfortunately, some of it happens to be true. The recent "Boxster spoiler" thread on here is a perfect example of the snobbery some of us display toward other cars.

A buddy of mine just bought a new '08 Z06, and I have to say, after driving it, that car is one very impressive machine. It is shorter and lighter than a 997S, is very agile in the twisties and it feels quicker than the GT3 I rode in recently. My 993 isn't even on the same planet. And the Corvette's leather and build quality looked just fine to me.

Perhaps there is some jealousy on our part that GM can build a faster, lighter car than our friends in Zuffenhausen, not even considering the MSRP difference? And you don't even have to pay extra for floor mats and silly stuff like "aluminum look" (silver paint) trim. Given the choice of a new Z06 or a nicely equipped Cayman S for the same money, sorry, but I'll take the one with 505 HP that corners at better than 1g.

Porsches are great, but there are other great cars out there as well!
Old 12-24-2007, 06:05 PM
early_grayce
Burning Brakes

I've never been impressed with "modern" American built sports cars. They might ride well and have big engines, but they always seem to lack an element of sophistication.

I'd also never be caught driving a Boxster...or a 996...

Simply sharing my opinion
Old 12-24-2007, 06:29 PM
melman911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

the car isn't out yet, and you know its a piece of ****? No, it may not have the build quality or material quality of a brand new 997, but to say its a piece of **** is a bit of a stretch. Corvettes in general have always been pretty reliable.
I hear you but.... your statement implies that Porsche owners are lacking something because of the cheap leather that GM puts in the Vette. Look..it's obvious that you like Vettes (nothing wrong with that) but you come on this forum and the best you have is leather wrapped door panels..... Ahh the true enthusiast. Go back to Corvettes.com and tell them how you came on here and told us a thing or two about quality cars and how you saved a bunch on hp.

Sorry if this post lacked any holiday spirit. HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!

Last edited by melman911; 12-24-2007 at 06:48 PM.
Old 12-24-2007, 06:44 PM
jimhsu
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
quadcammer,

I agree with melman here: after following 4+ decades of Corvettes, yes the new one has not come out yet, but what makes you think that if it has been cr@ppy for decades that suddenly it will cease to be cr@p?

A Corvette is not something that inspires me to want to throw in the keys of just about anything else I have for it.

Well, if someone wants to trade my Subaru Outback or Toyota Camry with his new Corvette, I'll do it. Just so I can turn around and sell the Corvette and buy a newer Subie.
Old 12-24-2007, 08:13 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by SA Mike
Quadcammer, youre not going to fing too many Covertte lovers here. I have to admit I almost bought a 07 Z06 before I bought my 07 997S and would have saved a lot of money. But there is something about feel of a Porsche that you do not get and will not ever get in a Vette.
I agree, which is why i've come very close to a 993, and not the significantly more powerful C5 Z06 for the same cash. Im not really a corvette lover.

Originally Posted by melman911
I hear you but.... your statement implies that Porsche owners are lacking something because of the cheap leather that GM puts in the Vette. Look..it's obvious that you like Vettes (nothing wrong with that) but you come on this forum and the best you have is leather wrapped door panels..... Ahh the true enthusiast. Go back to Corvettes.com and tell them how you came on here and told us a thing or two about quality cars and how you saved a bunch on hp.

Sorry if this post lacked any holiday spirit. HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!
I was not implying that the vette was superior to the porsche (even the 993) because of a leather dash. Im sure the leather is cheap, but i would still take cheap leather over expensive vinyl. I really don't care much for vettes, and the reason leather interior parts came up was because of previous posts suggesting the dash was not leather.

There is much more the ZR1 has to offer. Monster power/torque, carbon fiber everywhere, probably 1.1gs of grip, huge brakes, etc.

Not a corvette guy at all. Have never owned one, and don't really plan to.

Happy holidays to you as well.
Old 12-24-2007, 08:15 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by jimhsu
quadcammer,

I agree with melman here: after following 4+ decades of Corvettes, yes the new one has not come out yet, but what makes you think that if it has been cr@ppy for decades that suddenly it will cease to be cr@p?

A Corvette is not something that inspires me to want to throw in the keys of just about anything else I have for it.

Well, if someone wants to trade my Subaru Outback or Toyota Camry with his new Corvette, I'll do it. Just so I can turn around and sell the Corvette and buy a newer Subie.
Hey man, thats cool. I don't think vettes are anything earth shattering either, but I have to give credit to a car with spectacular performance for a reasonable price. I think the interior is cheap and not terribly attractive as well, but with 620bhp and 3100lbs, its hard to bitch, ya know?

I don't think they've been crap for decades. Chevy spends the money on making them look fairly sleek, and giving them a lot of motor and grip. The cost cutting goes into the interior, the creature comforts, and the accessories. But Corvettes have always been a remarkable bang for the buck.
Old 12-25-2007, 08:01 PM
Fred's 964
Racer

I think there are people who love Porsches, people who love Corvettes, and people who love performance cars. I've had over a dozen Corvettes, I currently own 2 Porsches. I loved the Vettes and would probably own another one. I have to agree they Porsches and Corvettes are two totally different cars. Nothing feels like a "67 427 435 HP car in acceleration. All that said, I've never had as much fun driving as I have had with the Porsches. (and I have not yet had a Porsche Turbo) The Porsche goes where you want it to. It is much more nimble even at the same weight as the earlier Corvettes. I feel more like I am part of the car in the Porsche. Build quality seems to be better in the Porsche, but you are comparing Fiberglass to steel. Again two different animals. I'm glad I live in a country where I can own and drive both for a fairly minimal sum of money. I love having choice, my current choice is obviously Porsche. Can't wait to get my next one.....
Quadcammer, I totally understand your position, a Corvette is a fabulous machine that outperforms about everything in its class and price range. Quite a bargain, but different than a Porsche.
Old 12-27-2007, 12:30 PM
ventoGT
Three Wheelin'

I'm not a big Vette lover, but the C6 is an awesome car. ZR-1? No thanks, the price is too high. You get a ton of power for the money, but the Z06 makes a lot more sense from a value perspective. If I had over $100K to spend [I believe that is what the ZR1 is going to be priced at if I remember correctly] it wouldn't be on a vette. Mid $50K-$60K for a Z06? That does have some value.

Last edited by ventoGT; 12-27-2007 at 12:47 PM.

Quick Reply: New ZR1