Sponsored by:

Brake squeel Squeal Pagid Textar

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 07:18 PM
bobesser
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake squeel Squeal Pagid Textar

I just wanted to put an e-marker on my experiences with brake pads and squeal. Take it as my compiled knowledge and another data point.

I bought the car in August 2007 and the previous owner (PO) had replaced the pads and rotors. Pads are Pagid, they have black backing plates and black/grey compound. They have the following numbers on them: 537, 30R-01494 /280
The brake rotors were Porsche from Sunset IMports in Oregon. Receipt for the rotors was Jan 2007. A previous service was performed in November with 56k miles and I bought the car with 59k miles. so, less than 3k miles on the pads and rotors. They squealed like a 10 year old school bus. REALLY LOUD.

I took the brakes apart (they had the Porsche anti-squeal shims but may have been old). I cleaned everything, put spray on anti-squeal gunk (CRC red stuff), and put everything back together. SQUEAL

I took the brakes apart and removed the anti-squeal shims and put everything back together. SQUEAL

I took the brakes apart and used pro-thane grease and lubed up the backs of the pads and put everything back together. SQUEAL

I did some research and some said that rebuilding the calipers had a huge effect on eliminating squeal, so, I thought that maybe if I tweaked the metal clips that hold the pads in place - what the pad rests on it may help.

I took everything apart, cleaned everything, put some blue anti-squeal gunk on the back and edges of the pads - to reduce interaction with the metal clips. I tried to bend the clips just a bit to counteract 60k miles of use. I put everything back together. SQUEAL

I gave up, called Sunset and ordered OEM pads, anti-squeal shims and new sensors. I took everything appart, cleaned everything and put all OEM parts back in. So far, no squeal.

Now, I am not a convert. I truely believe that there must be a way to have brakes that do not squeal without going to OEM. I just didn't have the time or patience to find it.

If anyone in the DC area wants help with brakes, I will gladly lend a hand, I have done 5 brake jobs on my car in the last 2 months.

Bob
Old 12-20-2007, 11:35 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you bed those Textars in properly, they'll squeal from time to time too I know not what you want to hear but......
Old 12-21-2007, 12:34 AM
avidtest
Racer

I just went from OEM pads to Pagid Orange front and Black back. Crikey! I went from no squeal w/ the Textars to a heinous and embarrassingly loud squeal w/ the Pagids every time I brake gently to moderately (no squeal during hard braking). My car is primarily for track use, but I do like to take it on the street every week or two. My rotors would've needed replacement soon, so I'm just going bite the bullet, buy them early, and get a new set of OEM pads to use on the street. I'll swap to the Pagids for track days.
Old 12-21-2007, 02:00 AM
David Ray
Burning Brakes

From past experiences - Pagid= cry baby (squeal) - even the Yellow's Squeal. And yes around town it is embarrassing.

Merry Christmas to All!! Hope Santa delivers all your wishes!
Old 12-21-2007, 09:27 AM
bobesser
Pro

The wierd thing for me was that rolling to a stop was the worst. If I braked hard to a stop (still sensible street driving) it would not squeal. When I had the car in a DE, it squealed like a banshee.

Bob
Old 12-21-2007, 10:01 AM
jaholmes
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it is an exercise in futility. I tried the Hawk HP+ for an attempt at a mixed use pad and nothing. Squeal. I even replaced my rotors because they had very deep lip, still squeal. Even switching between Hawk HP+ and EOM still squealed. But the OE pads I removed the spiders so I can swap pads easier.

One thing I don't get is that the edge of the rotors look to be a different type of metal. And it seems that OE pads are a hair smaller so they don't touch it. Is this me or is this the way all rotors are. Maybe it's the rotors...
Old 12-21-2007, 12:13 PM
Harvey Yancey
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just switched to OEM's on my wife's Cab due to squealing issues with the previous pads (Pagid). Not a peep now.

Quick Reply: Brake squeel Squeal Pagid Textar