Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can Someone shed some light on "Drop Links" please

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 10:04 PM
max911
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 64 Posts

the gold "link" between the black mount on the lower part of the shock, and the sway bar:

the fact that the car is on a lift and the suspension is hanging makes the geometry of said parts look a little wonky.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:36 PM
DaveM993
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Aren't those RS droplinks since they sit below arms?
Old 12-12-2007, 10:37 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveM993
Aren't those RS droplinks since they sit below arms?
yep, as well as the RS bar which is bent such a way to be installed below the toe link.
Old 12-13-2007, 12:13 PM
Adrienne
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Adrienne,

From my understanding, having or not having RS drop links doesn't have anything to do with bump steer; bump steer is more a function of the geometry of the front hubs and tie rod length.
Well, that shows ya what I know! Darnit! I thought I was getting this suspension parts thing down! The more I learn, the more I realize I don't know. Good thing I'm not doing my own maintenance

Garth - thanks for the link.
Old 12-13-2007, 12:18 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I'm going to be selling my custom droplinks that I had used with my RS sway bars if anyone is interested....
Old 12-13-2007, 02:23 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Leucadia
I don't want to hijack this thread, but im considering doing the same thing to my C2, but using Einbach springs with the Bilstein HD shocks. Is there plus/minus with using M030 ROW springs vs. Einbach Springs? And for those of us doing this, it sounds like we only need 'drop links' for the rear suspension, correct?

A spring is a spring, the car (or you) will not know the difference between Eibach, H&R or factory MO30 springs of the same rate. It all depends on how stiff you want your chassis.

I went with 350lb in front and 450lb in the rear to cancel out most of the dive under braking and squat under acceleration. My shocks are custom valved for compression & rebound by bilstein for this spring rate and chassis weight to keep them working in harmony.

Good luck with your project.........ZP44
Old 12-13-2007, 02:52 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Joel,

Supposedly, the Eibach springs have a tendency to sag after some time.
Old 12-13-2007, 03:40 PM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 125 Posts

Hello Sami,
You have a 993 carrera 4S with an M030 option.
There are two versions of M030. USA and ROW.
USA version, the car sits at 157 millimeters height in the back
ROW version, the car sits at 127 millimeters height in the back

From what I see from plenty of pictures of your car, it surely does not have the SUV height.
So, presumably, you have the ROW version of the M030.
If so, why did you purchase a new set of M030 springs whilst you have them already?
If you wanted new with new, forget my question.
Now for the suspension work, please read the workshop manual section thoroughly, it is sooooo
important. Especially the RS section, where they speak a lot about camber settings, RS settings for racing only.
My ride height rear is between M030 and RS. It is at 116 millimiters today.
I used the original droplinks (M030 ROW) no Problem at all.
If you have m030 and buy shorter droplinks, you are throwing money in my opinion.
For front, any carrera 4 wheel drive has the M030 front droplink, so you have it.
BTW, if you decide more money should go in, you can change them later.
Very Important: Please note on a paper to tell the mechanic to tighten and torque the swaybars, droplinks, and the rear bottom control arm holding the strut with the car DOWN resting on its wheels.
Take care dude

What I would change on a M491 ROW is the front swaybar.
Some came with 20 millimeter, some with 22.
I would check and if you have the 20, I would put the 22 on the list, especially
that you would want to feel the crisp after installing the new suspension.

Last edited by geolab; 12-13-2007 at 03:58 PM.
Old 12-13-2007, 03:48 PM
MDamen
Pro

Everyone has been calling these things drop links for many years. I don't understand why a mechanic wouldn't know what you are referring to.
Old 12-13-2007, 04:20 PM
NoSubEDU
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

FWIW, when I lowered the car for track duty I needed to put in EVO uprights in order to eliminate the bump-steer. RS sways were already on the car.
Old 12-13-2007, 04:41 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Cool Let me share my experience with you....King of DL failure!

I have broken a front drop link (Stock) and at least 3 rear drop links.

If you have coil over suspension (PSS9, Bilstein HD, etc.) you need to dab a wee bit of paint on the shock collars and scribe them. That way if they loosen and move, you have a way to tell. If they loosen and do rotate, the angle between the sway bar and the connector on the shock/strut becomes too severe and they will break.

Do you want to save yourself some grief and buy yourself some very cool parts for Christmas, go to http://www.tarett.com/ and order their adjustable drop links, front and rear.

I have them on my TRG bars connected to PSS9 suspension. They are flawless, and well engineered. No connection between me and Tarett...they just make beautiful stuff.
Attached Images    
Old 12-13-2007, 04:51 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin S.
I have broken a front drop link (Stock) and at least 3 rear drop links.

If you have coil over suspension (PSS9, Bilstein HD, etc.) you need to dab a wee bit of paint on the shock collars and scribe them. That way if they loosen and move, you have a way to tell. If they loosen and do rotate, the angle between the sway bar and the connector on the shock/strut becomes too severe and they will break.

Do you want to save yourself some grief and buy yourself some very cool parts for Christmas, go to http://www.tarett.com/ and order their adjustable drop links, front and rear.

I have them on my TRG bars connected to PSS9 suspension. They are flawless, and well engineered. No connection between me and Tarett...they just make beautiful stuff.
Martin, was your failures a result of the arb mount popping loose and rotating? If so, was it the right side?
Old 12-13-2007, 05:33 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Default Drop links

I have broken the left and the right rear...2 on the left, 1 on the right + one (1) front {stock} drop link. The front drop link was too long, 225 mm, should have been about 200 mm...the Tarett is 200mm...it is brautiful.

With the TRG bars, I also have them with a dab of paint...they can slip to the left or right if the get loose due to side loading.. When that happens, you are in broken drop link territory!
Old 12-13-2007, 05:49 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Default It's not like I wasn't trying :(

Check out the car coming through the skid par, The Streets of Willow, CW...November event!
Attached Images  
Old 12-13-2007, 06:03 PM
dbf73
Boost Junkie
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin S.

Martin - I thought with that combo on the rear, the drop links had to have the curve ala the RS links. From their website, the Tarett links look straight.

Quick Reply: Can Someone shed some light on "Drop Links" please