Sponsored by:

Stronger Than OEM Clutches?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 02:55 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Dan,

The RSR clutch has a very high and quick take-up point, meaning it might be a pain for the street.
Old 12-06-2007, 02:58 PM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Surj-993C2S
Doesn't Andial also make a MWF - also eliminates the noise....
How would a non-dual-mass mwf eliminate the noise? It would reduce or eliminate the stalling maybe, but it's not the weight that damps the noise.
Old 12-06-2007, 04:43 PM
Surj-993C2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I can honestly say that I dont have a clue as I dont have one - I considered the Andial one when I put the LWF on my first C2S and remember that RLers then were saying that it was a good compromise and I thought that the lack of noise pollution was part of the deal; maybe it was just to get around the stalling???

I ended up going with the LWF regardless
Old 12-06-2007, 04:48 PM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

What we need is the 993 GT-2's special lightweight noise reducing dual mass ZMS flywheel--8.6kg (19lb).
Old 12-07-2007, 03:11 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin S.
It is a bit of an annoying sound....but worth it for me.

My Competition Director at the Porsche Owners Club feels that the dual mass flywheel is potentially dangerous, and has approved swapping out the dual mass for 993RS and 993 Clutch and pressure plate without penalty. He feels that they have the potential to let go...and what a mess would follow.

2007 PCA Club Racing rules effecting 964, 968, 993 cars, state these are legal in PCA stock class...they are in effect encouraging racers to change out the dual mass for a solid flywheel.

That's the first time I have heard this Martin, who was it exactly who told you this? because I would like to talk to him to see what the POC past bad experiences were before I do a new clutch & new flywheel.

Tnx....ZP44/Joel
Old 12-07-2007, 03:17 PM
Surj-993C2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by RallyJon
What we need is the 993 GT-2's special lightweight noise reducing dual mass ZMS flywheel--8.6kg (19lb).
I thought the RS LWF was 12lbs (I could be wrong) - so the added 7lbs may well help in reducing some of the chatter - dont know if its enough to eliminate it altogether; anyone got one?
Old 12-07-2007, 04:03 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by dhicks
RS + LFW here......and yes it rattles a little......but I kind of like it.......faster spool up is worth it
David I wish I knew you had the rocks in a coffee can mod when we met!!!! I would like to have heard it in person. I did get to hear the LPMM 2" thanks to Trinitiony. I can see that meeting up with all you guys will only make my wallet lighter and my wife madder!
Old 12-07-2007, 04:11 PM
dhicks
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hahahaha Yes, when we get together its a license to induce the wallet opening!!! Mine though is not as bad as rocks in coffee can.....a little quieter than than.....maybe my can still has some of the coffee in it........hahahahaha........have a good w/e.....
Old 12-07-2007, 04:14 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Cactus
David I wish I knew you had the rocks in a coffee can mod when we met!!!! I would like to have heard it in person. I did get to hear the LPMM 2" thanks to Trinitiony. I can see that meeting up with all you guys will only make my wallet lighter and my wife madder!
Ryan,

I have it in my car, too. The noise is a fine mechanical sound.
Old 12-07-2007, 04:15 PM
NoSubEDU
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Now that I think about it, I think I have a GT2 fw and clutch. Now I have to look into it. hehe..
Old 12-07-2007, 04:16 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Cool ANDIAL...first problem...

Aren't they out of business?

Secondly, I have the ANDIAL* semi-light flywheel, and it too comes with the gear set rattling sound. If it wothers you at a stop, just depress the clutch; it goes away.

The damn thing was close to $1,000? Ouch!!!

I have had the ANDIAL FW and RS clutch and pressure plate in my car for 5+ years, no probs yet. That = 43,000 miles and a few track outings.
Old 12-07-2007, 04:34 PM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by FLYT993
Thanks. I know she revs (up and down) quicker with the LWF, I just know I couldn't stand the "rocks in a coffee can" sound when the clutch is disengaged...and the stalling seems a hit or miss.
Hi Dan,

The RS cluthc/LWF is a great upgrade, you won't be sorry. With your 95 however you will need a ECU reprogram from Steve @ Rennsport so as to not have the stalling issue you referred to. I have yet to meet anyone who regretted this upgrade due to the mild chatter....way worth it if you can afford the lot and yes, the package is quite a bit stronger than the stock dual mass setup.

You are welcome to hear mine anytime if you haven't already....

- Jordan
Old 12-07-2007, 04:54 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Ryan,

I have it in my car, too. The noise is a fine mechanical sound.
I knew you had it but didn't think about it till I was at home. That's ok hopefully my clutch will last for a while yet since I don't even have 30K miles yet!
Old 12-07-2007, 04:56 PM
911CabSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I had the LWF installed about 1.5 yrs ago and could not hear any difference than the stock unit I replaced. Honest.. No loud grinding/rattling of any kind..

I had read all the posts about how noisy this mod was.. When I picked my car up from my mechanic after the LWF install and was driving home, I actually thought a new stock DMF had accidentally been installed because it was so quiet.. .. I turned around and went back to my mechanic to check what he had done.. I was told my LWF was not noisy beacuse he had every little bearing and part replaced - not just the flywheel and the major associated components..

Anyone considering this who is either in or coming through Orange County is welcome to come by and hear/drive my car if you are considering this very worthwhile mod.. Just PM me.
Old 12-07-2007, 05:20 PM
FLYT993
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat-6 Performance
Hi Dan,

The RS cluthc/LWF is a great upgrade, you won't be sorry. With your 95 however you will need a ECU reprogram from Steve @ Rennsport so as to not have the stalling issue you referred to. I have yet to meet anyone who regretted this upgrade due to the mild chatter....way worth it if you can afford the lot and yes, the package is quite a bit stronger than the stock dual mass setup.

You are welcome to hear mine anytime if you haven't already....

- Jordan
Jordan, tell me when and where, I have been waiting for an opportunity to see your car (and I don't like white cars!) and would love to see it and hear just how this mod actually sounds.

Quick Reply: Stronger Than OEM Clutches?