What would you do....

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 01:55 AM
Ash
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 12 Posts
Default What would you do....

Hmm...I'm at a bit of a crossroads...perhaps I'm also just a bit too close to what's happening and need a bit of critical distance but I thought I would throw this out to you guys...perhaps a collective voice of reason.

A few days ago, I found some very fine black soot on the decklid. Now the last time this happened, it was oil leaking from the chain covers along with the lower valve gaskets. I ended up having the engine dropped with a number of the gaskets and other assorted 'while-you're-in-there' items done (RS clutch, LWF, plugs, wires, etc). In any case, I brought the car in to have a look-see to try and find the latest oil leak. The suspicion this time, is that it might be the left side cylinder o-rings or the left side case bolt o-rings that are leaking (the oil is dripping on the heat exchangers and burning off to produce the soot. Currently, I am not dripping any oil on the floor of my garage). Either way, I've been advised that if this is the case, the cylinder heads would have to be removed to repair the leaks which means a measurable amount of surgery and expense. I wish I had addressed these the last time the engine was out but there was no indication of failure at that time and besides, the prior owner had the heads and exhaust valves done under warranty at 66,000 miles. I had assumed that the o-rings were fine at that point. The thought never entered my head to take another look

While I can deal with the monetary value of these repairs, the common-sense side of my brain is questioning whether it would make sense to sell the car as-is and if so, I'm wondering what it would be worth in this diminished state. I have been pretty fastidious in its maintenance and have all records. The other side of me loves the car and I think if I do this repair, I'm going to bury myself with this car when it comes time to go 6 ft. under. :P In an effort to get absolute clarity, I've decided to get a second opinion on the leak so I'll be taking it to another shop to have a second look before I commit one way or another. If I was to sell it, my next move would more-than likely be to purchase a new P-car.

Ack....Thoughts?
Old 11-30-2007, 04:32 AM
FlyYellow
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fix it! one of the best mods i ever did - RS front air scoops. Why you might ask? Because it routes air to the oil cooler - keeping the engine nice and cool!

Selling it in this state make the car, well a car with a story. You'll get less because it will make someone skeptical. Just my 2 cents...
Old 11-30-2007, 12:33 PM
slapshot
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Wow! Sorry to hear of your troubles. A measurable amount of surgery indeed. I would probably get it fixed if you love the car like you say and are wedded to it. That said, it is going to probably really hurt the wallet.

Between the crate engine guy Harry, and the grenading sparkpug gent today, and now your issues, these kinds of catastrophic problems are appearing to make the headlines more and more on Renn. Maybe age is catching up to the line? None of the above are going to be in any way a slight inconvenience or walk in the park $$$ wise. Time will tell.

Good luck with your decision. Excellent you are getting a second opinon. May turn out not as critical as first reported. Fingers crossed for you.
Old 11-30-2007, 02:52 PM
brucec59
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Soot schmoot! Can you smell the burning oil in the cabin? Just wash the car more often if it bugs you.
Old 11-30-2007, 03:58 PM
Jack of Hearts
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could still be the valve cover gaskets leaking--even if they are new. I always assume the worst in a case like this and it usually turns out to be the least.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:08 PM
North Coast Cab
Burning Brakes

I'd give it a good engine cleaning and try and exactly pinpoint where the leak is coming from.
It could be from a lot of diffrent places and given the described amount I'm not sure I'd do anything, certainly not sell the car. How much are we talking abput, $2500? That's cheaper than selling and buying somehting else you know nothing about.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:15 PM
Dan V
Race Car

+1. Not worth spending any $ on until the next time the engine needs dropped for something important.

Originally Posted by brucec59
Soot schmoot! Can you smell the burning oil in the cabin? Just wash the car more often if it bugs you.
Old 11-30-2007, 08:10 PM
Ash
Addict
Rennlist Member

I took a drive yesterday afternoon and that was all it took to remind me why I love this car. Whatever the outcome of a further inspection, it'll be my intention to keep the car. Besides, I was just about to install a GHL exhaust...can't sell the car now! I'll keep you guys updated on how things go.
Old 11-30-2007, 08:42 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 925 Likes on 559 Posts

Good choice Ash. Every time I think of selling my 993, a couple hour drive early Sunday morning through the local twisties does it.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:09 PM
bill d cat
Feral Cat
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash
Ack....Thoughts?
The reason I want a 993 is the cacophony and the smell.

Of course it's leaking oil. It's a Porsche.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:43 PM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a long shot but: When I first bought my car, I noticed a fine black dust on the engine cover each time I washed the car (once/week avg.).
After a year of ownership, I replaced the rear tires which had worn unevenly. Got a good alignment and no more black dust for the next 3 years.
chuck
Old 11-30-2007, 11:39 PM
Ash
Addict
Rennlist Member

You guys are great...like a support group for addicts...hehe.

Thanks all...

Whatever happens, I plan on buttoning up the engine to keep things running for a very long time. Maybe someday, I'll even catch up to Terry's mileage! The wife has been great and she wants to keep the car as well (she's a big fan of the 993 so no conflict there. )

Csertich, I don't think it's coming from the tires since I had a once through on the suspension components, tie rod ends, steering rack, and tire wear this time around...everything is clean there.

Like several of you have mentioned...oil leaks are part of Porsche ownership...I'll chalk it up to 'character'
Old 12-06-2007, 01:33 AM
Ash
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well....a happy ending to this story...

Today, I had Tony Heyer offer up a second opinion on the black soot issue that I was seeing on the car. The first shop suggested that I might have a leak at the O-rings @ the heads. Tony took a look at the soot and mentioned that he was suspicious it was from oil. He then showed me a car where there was oily soot as a result of a leak. His feeling was that it might be the soft compound on the rear tires but that he would be able to confirm once the car was on the rack (Csertich...you were right). Turns out that the car is bone dry on the bottom and although there is some weeping in one location, he mentioned that it is so minimal that I'd be lucky to get a drop out of that once a year...certainly not enough to cause anything to be alarmed about. Even though I was prepared to do what it takes to maintain the car (I plan on keeping it for life), I was relieved to hear the news. On another note, this was my first experience with Tony and I can confirm what others have mentioned- he's a great mechanic to deal with - patient with my questions, easy going in demeanor, and an uncomplicated and straight up approach. (no affiliations, etc.)

Bottom line, maintain the best you can...when it comes time for major surgery make sure you understand the nature of what is to be done and never be scared to get a second opinion.

Cheers!

~A
Old 12-07-2007, 04:11 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Default It sounds like you need to have the ....

black soot analyzed with a mass spec. The lab can tell you exactly what it is made of, tire rubber, or???? Alien droppings? Or????
Old 12-07-2007, 04:22 PM
dhicks
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just reading this for the first time and it brings back memories of dim and distant past........I had a 944T (G Red) and the black sooty stuff really bugged me too, thought all sorts of monstrous thoughts like rings, turbo, seals etc......$$$$$ used to pass infront of my eyes at 3 in the morning when I would wake in a cold sweat......seriously I was worried at the time as I did not have the disposible income I now have.....anyway long story short.....very soft tires.....wore out in no time, went to Butlers in Atlanta (where I lived ta the time) and the tech says to me "you should go for slightly harder tires, you would not get all that mess on the rear of your very clean car"....then he just walked away leaving me spell bound.....was it really as simple as that....oh yes it was, I shifted to Dunlops I think or something similar, lost no grip but did loose the black stuff off the rear of the car.....

Quick Reply: What would you do....