Sponsored by:

thanksgiving day speeding story

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 07:07 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,896 Likes on 2,892 Posts
Default thanksgiving day speeding story

every year at thanksgiving our family spends a few days at the lake quinalt lodge about 3 hours from seattle....my wife leaves with the kids on wednesday with my inlaws in their motorhome and i drive my porsche up to the lodge on thursday morning....we've been doing this for the past 5 or 6 years...

i left seattle in the 993 about 6am and about 2 hours into the trip the drive takes you through aberdeen wa. which is a sleepy red-neck logging town....driving thru aberdeen i was talking on my cellphone with my cousin in nyc and i see the lights in my rear view mirror.

the cop pulls me over and asks if i was aware that i was driving 68 in a 45 mile zone...

wanting to be totally honest (i just got my first speeding ticket in 20 years 2 months ago) i told him i didn't remember seeing a 45mph sign...i also told him i just got my first speeding ticket 2 months ago and my wife was going to sh_t when she finds out i got another...

he laughed and explained that i obviously was not paying attention to the road and asked for my license/reg/insurance...i watched him get back into his car and call everything in...i hated being caught and it sucks having to sit and wait it out.

a few minutes later handed everything back and explained that 23mph over is a $300 ticket but since i was honest with him and polite, he would give me a warning.

can't tell you how happy i was....speed limits really suck but lately my luck has sucked too....
Old 11-25-2007, 08:29 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You wouldnt be so lucky in Utah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMAEVgRWq6s
Old 11-25-2007, 08:38 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Nor in Oregon,........

It IS neat to hear about a reasonable law enforcement official who is "human",...
Old 11-25-2007, 08:43 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When I lived in the Seattle area, we used to make that drive every year to Lake Quinalt Lodge also, but not on Thanksgiving. That route, done in a Porsche, demands that you speed in most sections! Sounds like Aberdeen hasn't changed. I don't miss the rain forest though...........
Old 11-25-2007, 08:48 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually, I have got off 4x with warnings in Utah in the past 5 years. I just was pulled over for 49 in a 35 in my Bronco a few weeks ago--they got me this time. $130 and that included drivers school which I completed.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:06 PM
993_Pilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by groovzilla
...but lately my luck has sucked too....
It sounds like your luck it turning around now!
Old 11-25-2007, 10:56 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
Nor in Oregon,........

It IS neat to hear about a reasonable law enforcement official who is "human",...
Sure is! Seems there are more bad stories about how the cops got a "killer" off the streets for doing 15 over the absurdly low speed limits!
Old 11-25-2007, 11:10 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I got nailed recently in Virginia for speeding, or I should say, "speeding." No conversation whatsoever. The cop took my license and registration and returned it with a citation. This isn't about safety on the roads, it's about creating a new means of taxation.
Old 11-25-2007, 11:23 PM
tmc
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

"The Commonwealth" is well known for its speeding ticketitis. Southern VA in particular-- those little towns must survive on ticket revenues.

I love the signs "Speed Limit Enforced By Aircraft," what are they going to strife shoot at me or something?
Old 11-26-2007, 12:44 AM
The Brewmeister
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Here in New York the cell phone alone is good for a $200.00 fine. That is, unless it's "hands-free".
Old 11-26-2007, 01:02 AM
Blade-MD
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts

I have made that drive many times on the way out to dig razor clams in Westport/Grayland area. The area is totally infested with cops. Good defenses are a must or you will get caught. They use laser so you need a diffuser or something comparable. Glad to hear you were successful. The I5 corridor around Auburn/Federal Way has not so nice cops.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:22 AM
993c2cab
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My buddy just got pulled over doing 90 in a 75.. lady cop asks if he knows how fast he was going and he says around 90.. shes says o.k. I'll be right with you.. comes back gives him a warning and says thanks for being honest now be careful!!. I think they like the refreshing honesty every once in a while.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:04 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah
I got nailed recently in Virginia for speeding, or I should say, "speeding." No conversation whatsoever. The cop took my license and registration and returned it with a citation. This isn't about safety on the roads, it's about creating a new means of taxation.

I take it from your response that you don't feel that you should have received a citation for breaking the speed laws because the money paid by you is like a tax? and this isn't about safety on the roads? do you think because you drive a 993 you are immune to collision & possibly injuring another driver?

I see it this way, if you broke the law and got caught, you are the only one to blame and no matter what the fine $$'s are used for, you set yourself up to pay it out!

Be safe.......ZP44

Last edited by ZombiePorsche44; 11-26-2007 at 04:11 PM.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:27 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tmc
"The Commonwealth" is well known for its speeding ticketitis. Southern VA in particular-- those little towns must survive on ticket revenues.

I love the signs "Speed Limit Enforced By Aircraft," what are they going to strife shoot at me or something?

If they do strafe you, you better hope it isn't by one of these....LOL
Attached Images  
Old 11-26-2007, 03:57 PM
steve g
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My wife and I did our seasonal evening drive from IL to Washington DC to be with the family during Thanksgiving in the Jetta this past weekend. We had our brush with the law in Ohio. Normally we drive 2-3 hours each taking turns. The drive from IL to DC was uneventful and took us about 11 hrs for the 735 mile trip. One of us drives and the other mostly watches DVDs - this year the return trip DVD series was '6 Feet Under'. About 3am, my wife is driving and suddenly says - "We're getting pulled over". The cop comes over with the flashlight and nicely informs us that one of our tail lights is out. My wife politely explains (unbeknownst to me) that we just noticed that at the last rest area which sounds totally honest to the officer and he lets us go with a warning citation. At the next rest stop I check my wallet for a credit card and at that moment realize that my license was not in my wallet. She did the driving for the last 4 hours. We were lucky I wasn't driving.

Quick Reply: thanksgiving day speeding story