Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Our new house's garage is about to be epoxy'd. What kind do I tell my painter?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 10:20 AM
MessyMarvin
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck A.
If you are talking about the Rustoleum product, don't use it. It won't last long due to hot tire pickup.
------------------
Hmm I used Rustoleum and it has stood up well for three years and that includes parking cars with R compound tires fresh from the track on it. The secret to all coatings is preparation. If there is any trace of sealer or oil etc. it will lift. On fresh concrete, vacuum (carefully), wash it, acid wash it, let dry and wash again. Let it dry thoroughly! Then and only then apply the epoxy. If there was paint or sealer, rent a floor grinder and take off the top layer then proceed as above.

I have Rustoleum and it has held up great. That said, they make 2 different levels of product. I have the Commercial or Professional Grade. It only took one kit for a 2 car garage and I think it was $99. That said, the prep is the most important step. If it is not prepped correctly nothing will stick. Also, you have to do the moisture test. If you have moisture coming up throught the floor it will eventually bubble any Paint. I got mine from Home Depot, it is Grey with White and Blue spec's. Much easier to sweep garage, oil cleans right up, I will do this to every garage going forward.
Old 11-18-2007, 10:28 AM
MessyMarvin
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
Q - How do you avoid lift off?

A - Not travel into space?

Lift off... not a term I'm familiar with here, but it sounds like the epoxy literally lifts up and gets ruined from poor application, hot tires (never heard of that term either before, other than on the track) and turning your wheel alot in the garage?

Epoxy sounds like a recipe for dissapointment, but I'm doing it anyway.

Steve R
To avoing lift-off you can buy the rubbers strips that lay under your tires and as said earlier pull straight into the garage and do not turn the wheel while stationary and with tires hot.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:38 AM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 333 Likes on 231 Posts

Steve,

I have zero hot tire lift with the Griots. I park my 996TT, BMW X5 and X3..all without any problem. The X5 is about 5000 pounds, I think. I can turn the wheels all I want - the Griots cures like hardened steel. It hasn't chipped, lifted or otherwise failed in any manner and it is used daily. The Porsche is not driven winters, but the other section gets snow, mud, salt, etc. and still no problems. It cleans up beautifully and after a cleaning you would never know the amount of slush that was there before...it looks like new again. The finish is very hard and smooth, like glass. That said, there are two issues to be aware of ...1) It is very slippery when wet - Griots now offers a grit to make it less slippery -I would use it. With snow on the bottom of your shoe - be real careful 2) The moisture test was done in my garage. They taped a 12" x 12" piece of clear poly to the floor for 24 hours, then looked for trapped moisture - I think I may have had a small trace of moisture, but nothing much (possibly because we had just washed the floor recently) and I told them to do it anyhow...no problems. The Griots epoxy paint is water based and the instructions state that you can wet the concrete prior to rolling to help the paint spread better. I elected not to do this, but perhaps the Griots is more water friendly than an oil paint. I think if you sand it, clean it well (just hose out with water - no detergents, acid, etc.), wait for it to completely dry and use the Griots as per the instuctions, you will not have any problems.

If you want to save some money - have your guy sand the floor for you and do it yourself. Here is a picture of mine in process - after seeing it done, I would have no reservation doing it myself. It's really very simple - it takes 2 coats.

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials SpeedTech Exhaust Videos facebook
Old 11-19-2007, 12:47 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 863 Likes on 438 Posts

Sounds like I should tell my painter that it has to be Griot's, then. That was quite the tesitmonial.

I'd love to see a pic of those rubber strips if anyone has one, too.

Steve

Quick Reply: Our new house's garage is about to be epoxy'd. What kind do I tell my painter?