Sponsored by:

Winter storage on Jack Stands

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 03:16 PM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pretty much.

Me? I drive my car pretty much throughout the year. Sure, I'll lay low when they salt and sand the place out the wazoo -- but I'm out there when the roads are 'clear' yet there's piles of snow on either side.
Not for nuffin' but come winter and 'winter air' (cold, dense) the engine LOVES it.

And yep, come May -- after a good wash n wax -- I'm off to the concours shows too!

Whatever floats yer boat.

G.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:22 PM
lucycan
Rennlist Member

Received 480 Likes on 228 Posts

G - what tires are you running when its 20-30 degrees out with snow on the ground? Certainly not summer tread?????
Old 11-14-2007, 03:42 PM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Jason,
No snow driving for me -- there's WAY too much salt n crapola on the streets - or highways (for that matter) around here -- sheesh, I don't even take the wife's Fraud Contour out in that!
But as soon as the snow melts and the roads are any way half-decent -- I'll certainly take the blue-bomber out for a jaunt. I've been known to drive out to the airport (50 miles one way) at 6am - on a nice crisp 30 deg. Sat. morning -- and get there in one piece. (No, I do not change tires)
I'll be the first to admit MN winters are a LOT harsher than what we get here on LI, NY -- but, even so, just because it gets cold - for me anyways - it does NOT mean I put the baby away. I guess you could say, I pick my winter battles.
Drive safe!
Gerry
Old 11-14-2007, 09:46 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonVW
The alternative being that the car sits on 4 tires all winter (in my case 5+ months) and you develop flat spots?
Once every few weeks, roll it forward or backward a foot. After the first spirited drive in the spring, it is a now issue.

Radial tires don't develop the same flat spots of yesteryear.

You might also want to see other storage points here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...winter+storage
Old 11-20-2007, 05:03 PM
jboskovi
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you all for good & wise words
My 993 is safely up on AC jack stands. I am glad that I got AC jack stands (80 Eur a peace!) since it was a bit scary when lifting the car... I did not realize how high one needs to lift the car to be able to put jack stands in the right place. Hockey puck did a good job on floor jack. On the end all went went and everything worked as charm.
I will take battery out as well... thats part of my standard winter procedure.

Hope in couple of months we gonna have security systems installed with access control, security cameras and motion sensors .... Still I am thinking of putting one wireless camera for my garage place.... wi-fi does not work because is underground garage any other wireless technology available?

Stay lucky,
zeljko
Old 11-21-2007, 05:28 PM
Marlon
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Isn't that what the chain is for - to drive in the snow???

Originally Posted by JasonVW
The alternative being that the car sits on 4 tires all winter (in my case 5+ months) and you develop flat spots?

Quick Reply: Winter storage on Jack Stands