993 Forum 1995-1998

Windshield Removal

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 09:11 PM
GrigioTR
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield Removal

I need to have the lower front windshield area of my cowl worked on. The shop I use does great work but one thing puzzled me in the quote. The shop told me the front windshield has to come out and in doing so it usually breaks! The cost of the windshield plus the remove and install is nearly as much as the prep and paint work.

So here is my question. Why does removing the front windshield normally break them? Or am I just being prepared for the cost should it break being removed.

In other cars if they are held in by black tar-like adhesive, you can cut them out by sliding a "wire" around the entire glass then lift it out. I do not know the correct procedure for removing window glass that are captured in a rubber channel surround or for that metter how my '95 glass is held in.

Anyone with expertise in the removal of 993 front windshields without the high probability of it breaking, please drop me a line and tell me how it is done. I really want to have the work done but a new front glass wasn't in my plan!

Thanks,

Loren
Old 11-11-2007, 09:35 PM
Marlon
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

HInt: make sure you are covered with a zero deductible for glass. Especially if you have any appreciable miles on the car.
Originally Posted by GrigioTR
I need to have the lower front windshield area of my cowl worked on. The shop I use does great work but one thing puzzled me in the quote. The shop told me the front windshield has to come out and in doing so it usually breaks! The cost of the windshield plus the remove and install is nearly as much as the prep and paint work.

So here is my question. Why does removing the front windshield normally break them? Or am I just being prepared for the cost should it break being removed.

In other cars if they are held in by black tar-like adhesive, you can cut them out by sliding a "wire" around the entire glass then lift it out. I do not know the correct procedure for removing window glass that are captured in a rubber channel surround or for that metter how my '95 glass is held in.

Anyone with expertise in the removal of 993 front windshields without the high probability of it breaking, please drop me a line and tell me how it is done. I really want to have the work done but a new front glass wasn't in my plan!

Thanks,

Loren

Quick Reply: Windshield Removal