Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! - Can't Remove Spark Plug Socket!

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 06:49 PM
epj993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation HELP! - Can't Remove Spark Plug Socket!

So I'm doing my plugs today. Left & right lowers are done, top right including #12 are done. So far, pretty easy when you take your time. Figured I'd save the relatively easy top left for last.

I start on #1 top. Going in, there seemed to be a little more resistance than on the others. I get the plug unscrewed, go to pull it out and there's some resistance. I pull a little harder and my locking extension and the electrical tape pull off the socket head! I can't believe it!

From what I can tell, the flange around the hole that protrudes down towards the spark plug appears to narrow and is catching the socket.

Not sure what to do here as no amount of pulling or twisting seems to get it out. I thought about using some metal epoxy to glue the extension onto the socket - is this a good idea? Or can I file that flange a little? Or am I screwed and have to pull the valve cover?

Any help/ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-10-2007, 07:52 PM
epj993
Rennlist Member

Problem solved!

With my handy, dandy telescopic mirror, some body contortions and carefully twisting, I got the socket out! Arrrhh! - what a waste of time. There is a burr or mold protrusion of some kind that just blocks a socket from getting in and out smoothly. I'll have to double up on the elecrical tape for the new plug.
Old 11-10-2007, 08:28 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Not all plug sockets are created equal
It took some shopping to find a long reach, small outer diameter socket that would slide into #6 top .... and not jam against the casting.
Old 11-10-2007, 08:35 PM
Marlon
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Should'a read my earlier post on changing plugs: simply wrap the plug socket and extensions and universal joint with a layer of duct tape! It won't come apart. That way you can use a good plug socket with a tight fitting rubber grommet in it to hold the plug!
Old 11-10-2007, 10:10 PM
epj993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Garth S
Not all plug sockets are created equal
It took some shopping to find a long reach, small outer diameter socket that would slide into #6 top .... and not jam against the casting.
Apparently not! I had no problem with the 11 others. In this case, the fit was so tight that the casting was cutting through the tape and caused the socket & extension to seperate. Next time around I'll know what to do.

Where did you find the small outer diameter socket you describe?
Old 11-11-2007, 08:26 AM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by epj993
Apparently not! I had no problem with the 11 others. In this case, the fit was so tight that the casting was cutting through the tape and caused the socket & extension to seperate. Next time around I'll know what to do.

Where did you find the small outer diameter socket you describe?

I found a 'long reach' type as shown in this set. Damn .... now that I've seen that set, I should get the 'wobble' type too - can never have too many tools ...
Old 11-11-2007, 08:33 AM
SPIKES
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 44 Posts

i lost one as well when i did mine..superglue is never far away
Old 11-11-2007, 10:59 AM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Once, I decided to not bother taping the socket and u-joint together. I lost the socket after the second plug. Dumb.
Old 11-11-2007, 11:56 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Sears also sells a set also by K-D, link Comes in handy for many of the newer cars, not just Porsche.
Old 11-11-2007, 10:20 PM
Marlon
Drifting

Default How about some weight reduction!

Epilogue: You could always take your 'fat' socket to a local machine shop and have them turn it down into a 'lean-mean-fighting-machine' for you.

Quick Reply: HELP! - Can't Remove Spark Plug Socket!