Sponsored by:

Is Bruce A right?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 08:42 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member
Veteran: Army

Received 946 Likes on 572 Posts

He's point man in a conspiracy to corner the 993 market.
Old 11-03-2007, 09:19 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did anyone see the latest Excellence issue? In the reader remarks section, someone chimed in about another reader who had written in last issue about his 993 brakes being silver instead of black or red. B.A. told this reader that some had obviously painted them at some point and that they probably weren't the big reds, blah, blah, blah. Come to find out, this reader knows that there is a special factory option that was a silver caliper (Z95). B.A. comments back "our opinion was not wrong", although it does appear that there was an option that I was unaware of. It is possible that this option could have been on this car.
The reader at the end of his rant finished by saying that he hoped the previous reader hadn't gone and destroyed a perfectly good set of rare factory optioned calipers!

Does no one preview his spewings before they print it?
Old 11-05-2007, 09:57 AM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Received 184 Likes on 107 Posts

That reader report just makes me angry. The fact that bruce would publish it-is even worse. Let's just say this person did get the car for that price.......did Bruce think to mention that there are similar cars being offered right now at almost twice that price!?! He does affect the market and he is losing it. I'm going to send an email-and I think we all should to see what kind of positive change we can have. If any....
Old 11-05-2007, 11:15 AM
993inNC
Race Car

Well I know he's (Bruce A) is on here. He references having posted on Rennlist.com in the 928 board for feedback on what people thought about and paid for their 928's for the current market write up on 928's this go around.
Maybe we should try to get him over here for a discussion? Have no idea what screen name he goes by though
Old 11-05-2007, 01:18 PM
Randy 1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 993inNC
Well I know he's (Bruce A) is on here. He references having posted on Rennlist.com in the 928 board for feedback on what people thought about and paid for their 928's for the current market write up on 928's this go around.
Maybe we should try to get him over here for a discussion? Have no idea what screen name he goes by though
Interesting. A search of the user name "Bruce Anderson" does indeed turn up a result, but with no postings.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:24 PM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Adding fuel to the conspiracy fire....
Old 11-05-2007, 02:52 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Originally Posted by Randy 1
Interesting. A search of the user name "Bruce Anderson" does indeed turn up a result, but with no postings.
I doubt he'd come here with his own name, probably wants to stay incognito so we don't lambaste him
Look for a post in the 928 forum that deals with the cost and opinion about ownership
Old 11-05-2007, 03:38 PM
tlark
Drifting

B. Anderson threads are worse than a case of the runs. I know he have to go through them sometimes, but every month ???
Old 11-05-2007, 03:40 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

How does this grab y'all:

"I find Bruce Anderson's "market report" in the 12/07 issue of Excellence to be highly implausible and misleading. ($28,500 for a 1998 C2S with 7,500 miles.)

While I suppose that it is possible that there could have been a 'one-off' sale at that price, it is certainly not reflective of what is happening right now in the 993 market, particularly for the rare and highly sought after 993 C2S (of which only approximately 1700 were built and imported to the United States).

A cursory review of the limited inventories of these cars at leading 993 dealers such as Truspeed (www.truspeedmotorcars.com ), RPM (www.RPMsportscars.com), Sloan (www.sloancars.com), Wilhoit (www.willhoitenterprises.com) and elsewhere (including ebay) strongly suggest that the market value for these cars is much, much higher-- indeed, by a factor of two times, or more--than Mr. Anderson leads your readers to believe.

While the prices listed with these outlets are obviously only the "asking" prices-- and not necessarily what buyers are paying-- if Mr. Anderson paid even just a little attention to what happens to the inventory at these dealerships he would see that they turn over very frequently. So much so, that it would not be surprising if only a small discount is had below the asking prices, which, again, is often nearly double what Mr. Anderson suggests is the market value of these cars.

In my opinion, your readers are entitled to greater disclosure about Mr. Anderson's methodolgy pertaining to the 993 market, lest a prospective buyer reading his pieces will be discouraged from ever obtaining a Porsche 993 at a reasonable (and market) price for fear of overpaying.

Indeed, a primary measure of Porsche "excellence" over the last 30 years is the longevity and resale value of these cars, particularly the 911. The 993 is at the very pinnacle of this tradition because of its status as the last of the air-cooled (and for other reasons). To not recognize-- or at least do meaningful research into-- the staying power and corresponding economic value of these cars sells the marque short."
Old 11-05-2007, 05:14 PM
freeman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

You people should be ashamed! One hopes when you arrive at a state of senility (if in fact he has), your are not lambasted on an internationally recognized board. THIS THREAD SHOULD BE LOCKED!!!!!!!!!! Do it John D!
Old 11-05-2007, 05:25 PM
dotcomhusker
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by freeman
You people should be ashamed! One hopes when you arrive at a state of senility (if in fact he has), your are not lambasted on an internationally recognized board. THIS THREAD SHOULD BE LOCKED!!!!!!!!!! Do it John D!
Assuming "a state of senility", I would also hope that I would have been RELIEVED of my position if I was no longer able to fulfill it and didn't recognize this fact.
Old 11-05-2007, 05:41 PM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

That 7500 mile car in the last issue is ridiculous, certainly, but...

I'm still waiting to see ANY Rennlist data points on C2S sales with what BA calls "normal" mileage. Every indication from the C4S side is that prices fall dramatically when you exceed the low-mid miles that collectors and weekend joyriders demand. Show me a 90k mile C2S that's still holding its stratospheric premium.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:10 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RallyJon
That 7500 mile car in the last issue is ridiculous, certainly, but...

I'm still waiting to see ANY Rennlist data points on C2S sales with what BA calls "normal" mileage. Every indication from the C4S side is that prices fall dramatically when you exceed the low-mid miles that collectors and weekend joyriders demand. Show me a 90k mile C2S that's still holding its stratospheric premium.
I think you are right -- there is a huge drop off for cars that have average "normal" miles over the last 10 years (as opposed to the "garage queens" which were driven only 2-3,000 miles a year, or less). The $50,000 plus prices seem to be reserved for those cars that have really been babied and have not the daily drivers.

Still, the spread-sheet which was done here shows several C4S's in the 80K+ mile range (and even more) fetching in the $40,000 range, and sometimes more (and a few examples of sales for somewhat lower prices too, probably based on condition, negotiatingleverage etc.). http://members.***.net/p993/P993%20Pricing%20Data.xls I'd consider $40,000 a premium price for a 10 year old car with 80 or 90,000 miles, or more, considering that you can get a much newer and lower milegae 996 for that price.

As you noted, I have not seen any data points for C2S's with 90K plus miles that sold for a big premium. Perhaps someone can chime in if they know of any.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:35 PM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by freeman
Bruce - is that you?
Old 11-06-2007, 12:46 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 879 Likes on 442 Posts

When I read that in Excellence the other day I thought... "Yeah right..."

I figured that car was sold by someone's father to their son at a HUGE family discount. There's just no way in the open market an ultra low mile 98 C2S would sell for that little, unless it was a salvage title or flood car.

Steve R

Quick Reply: Is Bruce A right?