Sponsored by:

Holt Motorsport

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 02:43 PM
xcusemi
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Holt Motorsport

Anyone herad of this company. It seems to me that they are quite reputable especially for the 993. I saw a couple of cars and I might just buy it from them rather than looking around and around to find the right car for me. Any input of Holt Motorsport?
Old 10-31-2007, 02:44 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Holt, and Tim Holt, have a fine reputation. Go for it.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:27 PM
davesnothere
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

+1

I sat down with Tim and had a nice chat, as well as drove a couple of his cars back when I was first starting to look at 993s. I did not buy any of his cars at the time, but if I could roll back the clock and do it all over again I would have. What you may think you'll save buying elsewhere, you'll spend back just getting the car sorted. Tim's cars are in great shape and he really knows his stuff.

- Dave
Old 10-31-2007, 03:32 PM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

if I could roll back the clock and do it all over again I would have
+1
Old 10-31-2007, 03:44 PM
xcusemi
Rennlist Member

Great!! I will pull the trigger with Tim on Saturday. He is definitely sound like a great guy over the phone. I cant wait to meet him and have the deal done.

There are many things I choose to go with Holt rather than Private parties.
1) I dont have to pay and bother with PPI
2) I heard that many of the cars in his lot are all in original condition and they never been involve in any accidents, so that is a big plus since I dont want to buy a car with any structural damage.

Anyway, now i feel secure and confident to buy it from Holt.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:45 PM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

WAIT A MINUTE! Nobody said you don't need a PPI. Unless Holt now sells with a warantee or something, you still do need a PPI.
Old 10-31-2007, 04:03 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 232 Likes on 148 Posts

PPI is a must on any purchase.
Old 10-31-2007, 04:09 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by xcusemi
There are many things I choose to go with Holt rather than Private parties.
1) I dont have to pay and bother with PPI
xcusemi?

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
Old 10-31-2007, 05:19 PM
H2NO
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too have spoken to Tim Holt and was impressed by his candor and the time he spent with me on the phone talking about a car I was considering from another dealer. However, he will readily admit that he too buys cars from auction and therefore cannot vouch for their history (other than a carfax). Definitely get a PPI. From what I've heard about him, he will work with you if, after the PPI, things need to be corrected.
Old 10-31-2007, 05:31 PM
roche
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

i bought a car from holt and it was a good experience. he represented the car well, but..........when i picked the car up it was dirty. i was told the car had been detailed and it wasn't even close to being clean. the cigarette lighter was gone. now i didn't ask if the car had the cigarette lighter, but that info wasn't disclosed. a couple other minor issues, but nothing huge. it's the little things that turned me off from buying form a dealer.

i don't think i'd buy another used porsche from a dealer. he's in the business to buy cars and sell for a profit. i'd rather find the "right" car from a PCA member or a rennlister and keep the car in the family.

just my $.02.
Old 10-31-2007, 05:57 PM
ppashley
Burning Brakes

I have a Holt car, bought it in Feb 07. And yes I got a PPI.

Tim is a straight up guy. My car was well represented. But a PPI should be done just in case.
You will likely pay over the odds, but in my experience I got what I paid for.

6 months and 5 thousand miles later, the car has had no issues worthy of note.
Overall, I've been very happy with the car, and I would go back to Holts again.

Interesting that roche's car was not detailed and missing the lighter. Suprised about that.

Always PPI. I'd reccomend Bill Boys at Possum Hollow Motorsports. He is a decent guy. (he might do some work for Holts, not sure, but he's honest... he picked up a few minor things (spoiler wall etc), and these were all addressed, prior to collection, by Holts).

These cars are used, and realistically the dealer can only be expected to know so much about the car, so you have to go with the reputation of the dealer. As far as I know, Tim has a good rep, and its on this basis he sells at a premium. I for one am a satisfied customer.

Good luck, and PPI. Tim will tell you its a waste of time... PPI anyway. Just my 2c.
Old 10-31-2007, 06:03 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 232 Likes on 148 Posts

My friend bought a car from him and it was also dirty. The cars in the showroom were dirty too. I guess some peoples idea of dirty is different than others? Tim wasn't very friendly either but I hear nothing but good things about him and his cars so I usually just keep my mouth shut. Guess everyone has a bad day right?
Old 10-31-2007, 06:17 PM
cesar
Racer

I bought my car in 11/2005 from Tim. Had a PPI done from one of his recommended shops and no complaints. Car has been as advertised a couple minor things went wrong after using it for awhile, but nothing that a PPI would have caught such as the LCD light burning out.

My car was clean inside and out. I guess sometimes you have good days and bad days.

He told me that it was up to me if I wanted a PPI, most of his cars he said usually came back fine, but for peace of mind, I went with the PPI and do not regret it one bit.
Old 10-31-2007, 06:51 PM
xcusemi
Rennlist Member

Thank you. I thought I can get away from the PPI. How much will it cost for having a PPI perform anyway? Who would you recomend to perform a PPI in that area? If I have to do the PPI, I would not want to bring the car to where Tim recomend.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:48 PM
Intermediate

Here is a great shop that is nearby

http://www.doughertyautomotive.com/

Quick Reply: Holt Motorsport