993 Forum 1995-1998

Holt Motorsport

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 12:52 AM
xcusemi
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quick update:

I finally find the right car. The problem is, I located in NJ and the seller is in Springfield, IL. The car seems very clean. It is a 1995 in Polar Silver. I plan on picking up the car maybe next week. But I would like to take yourall suggestion on getting the PPI. Does anyone here know a place in Springfield IL where I can have the car perform PPI? Please help!!

Thanks
Old 11-03-2007, 01:23 AM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Best bet is to contact the local PCA chapter... They will steer you in the right direction. For Springfield, it is the "LTR" or "Lincoln Trail Region". Here is there website: http://ltr.pca.org/

You might want to try the President, Steven Davis for a referral. Here is his email: marathon911@mchsi.com

Good luck!
-B
Old 11-03-2007, 02:41 AM
xcusemi
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you very much!
Old 11-05-2007, 08:35 PM
Art Boone
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Holt's

I live about a mile from their shop and that's where I started my search. I didn't know much when I started and they were not friendly or helpful. Most of their cars are low mileage and in good condition but their prices were about 10% to 20% higher than market.

To get a good deal, stick with private sellers and get a PPI.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:59 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 224 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Art Boone
I live about a mile from their shop and that's where I started my search. I didn't know much when I started and they were not friendly or helpful. Most of their cars are low mileage and in good condition but their prices were about 10% to 20% higher than market.

To get a good deal, stick with private sellers and get a PPI.
Agreed. Same experience with Holt.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:14 AM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I didn't know much when I started and they were not friendly or helpful.
When has it ever been an expectation that a car dealer will be helpful in educating you about a car? Even at a mainstream dealer, the sales staff barely knows what's in the manufacturer's brochure.

A specialized 993 dealer like Holt's likely doesn't get too many people through the door who say, "Derrrr, I'm lookin' for a Portch, you sell them?" and when they do, my guess is those people are not likely prospects to buy a 993.

FWIW, the salesman I dealt with (not Tim) knew a great deal about 993s and had owned them, but was just politely helpful but not chummy until I started "talking the talk". At most normal dealers--including Porsche--the salesmen don't know enough about the cars to have a technical conversation even if they wanted to, which they surely don't.

Did many 993 owners know little or nothing about them before they bought? I always figured people bought 993s after owning another Porsche and/or doing a lot of research and learning all about the model progression and Porsche history.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:45 PM
The Brewmeister
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Art Boone
They were always helpful with me, whether it was on the phone or in
person.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:37 PM
Berkley
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tim Holt.....

I agree with RallyJon's point about the depth of the potential buyer's knowledge, or the lack thereof......However, I have never heard that Tim Holt was less than patient with regard to questions from folks that I referred to Holt Motor Sports....And to a person, all bought a 993 from Tim......Further, all are happy with their Porsche.

I have always enjoyed my past associations with Tim....I've been a customer too......Tim is in a tough business and his reputation is a major asset....His prices are a tad heavy, but a prepared buyer will not pay a excessive premium.....The used car business seems to thrive on " the proverbial dance of the cranes ".
Old 11-06-2007, 11:31 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

I bought my race car from him. It was owned by a friend of his. He was very straight with me about the car and provided info long after the sale. I had a positive experience.

Quick Reply: Holt Motorsport